Womble help please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by andyfr, Mar 22, 2005.

1. andyfr

andyfr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am trying to find a solution for a friend of mine who is heavily into home video. He has recently got a new digital camcorder and found that it wasn't as easy to do a lot of the things that he used to do on his old analogue camera regarding adding titles.

What he ended up with was a Panasonic E55 and a Panasonic DVD player with a mixer. He copies the stuff from the camera onto the E55 (DVD-RAM) and edits it, then puts the disk in the player and then copies to DVD-R. If he had asked me I would have pointed him in the direction of a PC solution. :rolleyes:

He is annoyed that he can't add titles (like he used to with his old system) so I have been looking at various ways of doing this. I downloaded a trial of Womble and did a short test from a recording off the TV. I added some titles and saved the project then exported it as DVD-PAL ready to burn to disk. It took 23 minutes to do a 1 minute 26 second clip :eek:, not only that there were occasional artifacts :confused: or at least some glitches in the picture.

What did I do wrong or does it really take this long to do it?

I would appreciate any help. :lease:

Andyfr.

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I don’t use Womble (I use Vegas for video editing), but if you are adding titles to the video itself (as opposed to the DVD menu), the software will need to re-encode, which will take a long time, and especially when the source is already been encoded to MPEG once, yes you may see artefacts. It depends on your PC speed, but what you have quoted for time is not unreasonable.

To use the PC route, I wouldn’t do what I think you are doing – which is having the E55 encode to DVD, then editing software re-encode it with the titles. If it is a DV camcorder, better to take the DV straight into the PC via Fireware, and edit this. Then you have a choice: you either render to MPEG from the software (which will still take a long time), or you could output your new edited production back to the camcorder via DV, then copy this edited footage to the E55 as he does today (so the E55 does the MPEG encoding for DVD).

Mark

3. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    You don't give enough information about your setup to allow suggestions.

Are you using MPEG2VCR or Video Wizard? It sounds like the latter.

Presuming your recordings are from a DVD, how did you get the video off the disc and ready to import to the Womble app?

What's your PC specification?

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Welcome to the wonderful world of 'mpeg2 transcoding'.

Yes it can take a long time. I'm assuming that the titles are being super-imposed over the footage and not simply on a plain background as opening credits?

Believe me the PC route is the better option. It may take longer but the end result will be better quality than a DVD player and recorder in series with a mixer (that's how I used to do it with my SVHS VCR set up!).

Best to experiment with different software like ULead Video Studio, Pinnacle Studio and TMPG encoder.

5. andyfr

andyfr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. :thumbsup:

I will explain the situation further. My friend asked me for advice on a setup and then went and asked a shop before I got back to him. :nono: I would have suggested a PC solution myself. I am now trying to work with the system that he has which is a JVC GR-D70 DV Camcorder, Panasonic E55 and a Panasonic DVD player, all connected via a mixer. What he does is copy the footage from the camera into the E55, editing as he goes, then makes -R copies from the RAM disk.

The solution I have been trying involves my PC (PIII 650 - 384MB - 2x40MB drives) running WinXP with a Panasonic 9581 burner and Womble MPEG Video Wizard. I put the -RAM disk in the drive and import the clip into Womble. Then add the titles, save the project and then export it as DVD-PAL.

I think that he would be happy if he could just have titles on a plain background rather than superimposed if that would cut out the re-encoding. Is there a way to do this?

As I said I would not have gone with this setup but I don't really want to turn around and tell him he has wasted £500 when he could have had a bit of patience and I could have suggested a better solution.

Thanks once again for your replies. :)

Andyfr.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    With the PC you have, the timings you gave to do a re-encode are reasonable.

If you want to add separate titles (e.g. opening titles or credits), then I think you can join these with Womble, rather than re-encode. But I’ve only taken a quick look at the Womble products.

Mark

7. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Unfortunately the main problem is that your system is working right on the edge of its capabilities to do the MPEG2 re-encoding. I know because I had almost the same kit not long ago. Installing more RAM and clearing out one HHD for exclusive AV use would help a little, but to really shorten the time taken to re-encode you may have to buy another motherboard (faster processor, more RAM and larger HDD). Having said that your recommendation about using a PC to title video is very sound, as long as the hardware can cope with the demands.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Womble video Wizard is ideal for joing clips, including titles on plain backgroundswhich you could do in Pain Shop Pro or similar. It would just be like adding jpegs.

If you want to be a bit more fancy with your titles on static backgrounds (transitions, or moving titles etc) then creating a simple mpeg2 file from Ulead Video Studio would be ideal and again you could just join these title clips to your video clips in Womle without re-encoding.

9. andyfr

andyfr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I will have a look at the plain titles and joining them to see how that works. I realise that the PC spec is struggling with the re-encoding, I have managed to edit and copy from RAM disk using TMPG and it managed fine. I hadn't realised that Womble would re-encode when the titles were added. :rolleyes:

I need to get a reasonably easy to follow procedure together so that my friend can follow it.

Thanks once again for your input. :)

Andyfr.

10. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    A useful indicator to what proportion of your video (and audio) will be re-encoded can be found with the 'Details' button in the 'Monitor' tab on the 'Export' box.