Woman on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sbailey10, Mar 18, 2006.

1. sbailey10

sbailey10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I am at my wits end here. I have struggled for the past 5 hours to successfully connect up the following:

LG RZ-32LZ55 32" LCD Screen with component cable inputs, audio inputs and 2 x scart leads
    Panasonic DMR EH50 Multi-Region DVD-Recorder with component outputs, 2 x scart, audio ouput, SVideo output
    Panasonic NVFJ630BS VHS Player with 2 x scart, audio and RF in/out
    Satellite Decoder - Thomson with 2 x scart, audio, SVideo and USB, RF in/out

I am currently able to watch Satellite TV on the LCD Screen by plugging a scart lead from one to the other.

When I try to watch DVDs using the component able they are only coming through in Black and White - why why why why why why?

Am I being a complete muppet here? I have checked and re-checked the component cables to make sure I have the colours plugged in correctly to the right "holes", and I have got the audio part to work by putting audio cables (like the ones in my stereo system) between the LCD screen and the DVD player. But the ****er is still only playing in black and white.

And I can't get the VHS to work at all.

All I want to do tonight is watch Aliens: Special Edition on my new screen.

Please help - I'm nearly in tears over this :-(

2. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Sounds like a software setting in the menus on the dvd or tv. check to make sure component output is selected on dvd and component input selected on the tv.

3. sbailey10

sbailey10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I LOVE YOU!!!!!

How about the VCR side of things now the DVD-Recorder is working?

PS I still love you!

4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    You don't say how you have the VCR connected. Is it a standard VCR or a S-Video VCR? Not that this should make any difference other than you obviously will need a S-Video i/p.

5. sbailey10

sbailey10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry ! I've just checked the VCR and it has 2 x SCART leads but no S-Video attachments at all. Will this be a problem?

Thanks again

6. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Well I can't really see the problem. All you need to do is connect a scart lead into the TV out socket on the VCR (may be called "line 1") and then to the spare scart socket on the TV. The TV should automatically detect the signal.
    Depending on how clever the software for the TV is... it may automatically switch to the VCR input once a tape is inserted. If not you'll have to select AV i/p's via the TV remote.

7. sbailey10

sbailey10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I'm going to have a bash at what you suggested once No.1 child has stopped watching Wallace & Grommit.

Next question is this: I have lots of old VHS tapes that I would like to copy onto DVD-Recorder. My DVD-Recorder has an integrated hard-drive so I can copy the VHS onto the hard drive, and then re-copy it onto the DVD-R disc as and when needed, but how should I connect the VHS to the DVD-Recorder to achieve this? Again the VHS only has 2 scart leads but so does the DVD-Recorder so which scart to which?

Thanks everyone!

8. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Ok your now making life difficult for yourself :D
    In order to carry out this procedure (VCR to DVD recording) you now need to disconnect the VCR scart lead from your TV (yes the one I told you to plug into your TV!), leaving the other end in your VCR and plug the loose scart plug into line 2 of the DVD. Then Plug a scart lead into Line 1 (or TV) socket of the DVD and plug the other end into your now spare TV scart socket.

This way you have the best of both worlds being able to watch VCR and DVD via the same TV scart input.... To watch DVD, turn VCR off (standby) and vice versa.

Isn't life simple :)

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    BTW you wont be able to transfer commercial DVD to VHS as this breaches copy right a system called macrovision is used to prevent you doing this

10. sbailey10

sbailey10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK yes this does make sense! But as i already have a composite connection from the DVD-Recorder to the LCD TV, will the TV not get "confused" if it is getting a connection from both SCART and Component Cable from the DVD Player? Or am I crediting the LCD TV with more sense than it should be given?

BTW I know about DVD to VHS and Macrovision. I just want to get rid of all my old Teletubbies Videos and put them onto DVD for my son so I can put them on the portable DVD Player in the car for long journeys!

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    works the same the other way too unforunatly, VHS has macrovision on commercial titles too (infact thats what it was designed for)

12. CheekyKid

CheekyKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20

:rolleyes:

13. sbailey10

sbailey10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So what you are saying is I won't be able to copy my old VHS tapes onto DVDs? Is there not a way around this? Seems a bit daft to me, bearing in mind the guy in Richer Sounds told me I would be able to do the above?

Ta

14. russ123

russ123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    If they are videos that you have recorded you won't have a problem. If they are pre-recorded tapes you have bought from a shop etc. you might.

15. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    the key is that they are protected with a system called "macrovision" if you were to disable this feature you could be breaking the copyright law........ it is technically possible to do but posting links to site that give more info is against forum rules

PS never trust RS monkeys!