Wolfenstein: The New Order (May 2014)

I've been debating whether to get this for the past few days (I just got me and the kids a Wii U, I take back all the p*** taking, it's been great fun), but reading this thread has sold me. Will pick it up tomorrow. At £25 give or take it sounds like a steal.

Bit OT but if you want a smile I was thinking about buying this and one thing led to another and I ended up reading this. Those were the days!

It's been a while, I hope you're all well.

You should buy it Ben, it's a cracker of a game. Machine Games - aka old Starbreeze - really know how to make a very decent story driven game.

I tried a few of the config setting found on Guru3D, Dead End Thrills and the DSOG with both giving me a heap of errors in the qconsole log. After a bit of trial and error, I settled on a mixture of setting from those websites:

r_mode "20" - take note of what this is currently set to as this is your resolution setting. 20 is 1920x1080
r_multiSamples "4" - not sure if it actually does anything...jaggies still remain
image_lodbias "-1"
image_anisotropy "16"
vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly2 "16384"
vt_pageImageSizeUniqueDiffuseOnly "16384"
vt_pageImageSizeUnique "16384"
vt_pageimagesizevmtr "8192"
vt_maxlockedpages "2048"
vt_useCudaTranscode "1"
vt_maxPPF "128"

And if you haven't already, add/create file folder in \Users\Your Name\AppData\Local\MachineGames\Wolfenstein The New Order. The game will cache textures to a 1GB file called FileCache000.bin and a 128kb file FileCacheHeader.bin which should improve performance.

Tasty screenshot here too: Wolfenstein - The New Order - Dead End Thrills

I've got the ability to pick locks this playthrough. Is this linked to the decision you make in the first chapter?

Do new areas also open up? I'm sure I've got access to a room I couldn't enter on my first run.

Do new areas also open up? I'm sure I've got access to a room I couldn't enter on my first run.

if youre doing the other timeline, then yes i think they will be different, ive only just got past the opening and titles for the second playthrough

Yeah I am. That's really good, wasn't expecting that at all. Top game.

Brilliant if somewhat frustrating game. Love the characters, story and action; hate some of the in-game mechanics like having to press a button to pick items up while you're frantically scrambling to stay alive. And sometimes the prompt disappears as soon as you press X to pick an item up, which causes you to fling the camera in all directions to reacquire the prompt again. Selecting weapons from the dial menu is tricky with a controller too. It's too sensitive and dances about the dial while you're trying to get to a weapon with ammo.

Anyway, I'm at the last fight and am playing it on Uber but can't defeat the last boss no matter what I do. That's another issue I have with the game - unfair checkpointing system, especially during that infamous section in Chapter 14.

Anybody defeated the last boss on Uber?

Nevermind - got it in the end. Was using the wrong combination of weapons.

The ending is another thing I'd complain about. Well, not the ending but the way it was done. It wasn't the first time this issue had cropped up during a cinematic but it is most unwelcome at the climax of the game

... The way the cutscenes ended abruptly occurred at other times during the game and was quite jarring, but the one at the end is an example of terrible direction. "You're fine" and then credits was too abrupt. Not a good transition at all. It felt more like an editing error than a cliffhanger.

Apart from those gripes above Wolfenstein TNO is a game anybody who enjoys FPS should buy.

It felt familiar in some senses and that makes sense given that the creative director was responsible for lots of Half Life 2.

Last edited:
I'm playing this game at the moment pretty much exclusively and I'm really enjoying it, fun story and setting with some great characters. Actually not enjoyed a single player FPS as much as this in a long time.

Currently at this stage:

Just liberated the helicopters from the London Nautica building and now back at base

So not sure how much more I have to go...?

I'm playing this game at the moment pretty much exclusively and I'm really enjoying it, fun story and setting with some great characters. Actually not enjoyed a single player FPS as much as this in a long time.

Currently at this stage:

Just liberated the helicopters from the London Nautica building and now back at base

So not sure how much more I have to go...?

Still a good amount left to do. The story is brilliant. Wasn't expecting it to head in that direction and didn't anticipate that the characters would be so memorable (both the good guys and the bad).

What combination of guns do you tend to use?

Edit - Can't imagine playing through the game without using the laser weapon, especially on Uber.

The only occasion that I had to go from Uber to the difficulty below it was at the start of Chapter 14 and that daft room where you're pinned down in a corner with virtually zero health, no body armour and no ammo. Tried it for hours and couldn't scrape past it. As soon as you left cover you had literally seconds to live.

Last edited:
Is anyone still after this game as I have a code that may or may not work. Long story short was I ended with activating a bloody Russian code so have to play it via VPN. However I have another that I bought by accident that I assume is English which is no use to me now. I would have deleted the Russian version if I could but, you can't do that so I'm lumbered with having to play this via VPN.

If you have over a 1000 posts, feel free to post here or PM me and you can have it. If it works happy days, if it doesn't then nothing lost.

Cheers

Is anyone still after this game as I have a code that may or may not work. Long story short was I ended with activating a bloody Russian code so have to play it via VPN. However I have another that I bought by accident that I assume is English which is no use to me now. I would have deleted the Russian version if I could but, you can't do that so I'm lumbered with having to play this via VPN.

If you have over a 1000 posts, feel free to post here or PM me and you can have it. If it works happy days, if it doesn't then nothing lost.

Cheers

If it doesn't, I'll see you in DISPUTES! :D :laugh:

Was your VPN copy activated on Steam? If so, you can request they remove that version and then add this one.

Haha, that's why I'm offering it for free.

I did contact Steam to ask them to remove it but they never got back to me and the ticket was open two weeks. Useless. If they had of done, I would have used this code so I don't have to keep playing it via VPN.

Ah that's poor, normally they are quite expedient, especially when it comes to removing games.

Either way, very kind gesture of you :smashin:

If still available i'll take it, been on the edge of buying it for a while. Nice gesture either way.

Thanks,
Dave

Cheers

Just add the normal version to your account. You will then have both versions listed on steam. I know someone who did this with borderlands 2 and they now have both versions listed in their steam list.

Last edited:
Just add the normal version to your account. You will then have both versions listed on steam. I know someone who did this with borderlands 2 and they now have both versions listed in their steam list.

That's why I bought it so I could ignore the Russian version (or have Steam remove it) and install and play the UK one. However, when I tried to activate the UK code, it wouldn't have it. It said I already had it installed hence my reason for giving it away here. I wasn't sure it would work after me trying but I'm happy to say that @Sega Mega Dave has activated it fine :smashin:

I was more annoyed at Steams lack of response tbh.

That's why I bought it so I could ignore the Russian version (or have Steam remove it) and install and play the UK one. However, when I tried to activate the UK code, it wouldn't have it. It said I already had it installed hence my reason for giving it away here. I wasn't sure it would work after me trying but I'm happy to say that @Sega Mega Dave has activated it fine :smashin:

I was more annoyed at Steams lack of response tbh.

Ah fair enough mate, that's very poor you got no response and couldn't add it to your library.

Thanks for the key, much appreciated. Been hovering over the buy button over the past couple of weeks so thats saved me a few quid.

New standalone DLC announced.

Bethesda has announced Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, a standalone prequel to Machine Games' first-person shooter Wolfenstein: The New Order.

It's out 5th May 2015 digitally and in boxed form for PlayStation 4 and PC, and digital only for Xbox One, priced £14.99. There's no mention of PS3 and Xbox 360. You don't need Wolfenstein: The New Order to play.

Here's the set-up:

• The year is 1946 and the Nazis are on the brink of winning World War 2. In an effort to turn the tide in the Allies' favour, B.J. Blazkowicz must embark on an epic, two-part mission deep within Bavaria.
  • Part one of Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - Rudi Jäger and the Den of Wolves - pits B.J. Blazkowicz against a maniacal prison warden as he breaks into Castle Wolfenstein in an attempt to steal the coordinates to General Deathshead's compound.
  • In part two - The Dark Secrets of Helga Von Schabbs - our hero's search for the coordinates leads him to the city of Wulfburg where an obsessed Nazi archaeologist is exhuming mysterious artefacts that threaten to unleash a dark and ancient power.
The trailer, below, shows off Wolfenstein: The Old Blood gameplay, some new weapons and enemies. Expect more from PAX East this weekend.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is a standalone prequel to The New Order • Eurogamer.net

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom