Quantcast

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

drinkturps

I could have sworn I made a post for this a few years back but I cannot find it for love nor money using the search. Anyway, I'll kick off a new thread. I played over 20 hours in beta and it has good potential but held back the past year or so as there was not much development. The good news is that this forever in development cryengine arpg has now hit version 1.0 and launched! The bad news is you cannot play online at the moment as the servers are stuffed. I could play offline but I think I'll wait until they've sorted the gremlins out. Ah, reading the notes its telling me to uninstall the previous version! :rotfl:

So here's the launch trailer...

EDIT: Servers are up!

EDIT2: Servers are down! Just noticed that your online toons are not available offline

Last edited:

drinkturps

I have just bought this as I haven't played an ARPG for years. I hope it's good.
Nothing like a good impulse buy! It's not bad is all I can say at the moment. Not had much play time on it. There's still server issues. They hope to apply a hotfix tonight. I've just tried to play now and I cannot get online. I may have to play offline instead.

DrHarvey12

I could have sworn I made a post for this a few years back but I cannot find it for love nor money using the search.
The game was originally called Umbra so you might have started a thread under that name instead of Wolcen.

[Edit: Well, I can't see anything under Umbra either so..........]!

I managed to get on for 90 mins this afternoon before I was kicked off and haven't been able to get in since. Not the best launch given all the issues but still better than Blizzard managed with D3!! :facepalm:

Early impressions were pretty good despite playing with atrocious lag and ping. Nice graphics and D3 like combat with depth closer to Grim Dawn; probably not quite as deep. Much more forgiving than PoE though. I think this could be really good for both newcomers to ARPG's and veterans alike.

I just hope that they manage to get their servers sorted ASAP. I was hoping to have a good go of this over the weekend but if it's impossible to login now then I can't think this weekend will be any better. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

drinkturps

What are the benefits to playing online? Can you take your offline character online?
No they are totally separate. Offline does what it says which means you get the whole game and the single player experience. You can also mod/edit the game (as and when mods come out).

Online is kept separate to prevent cheating and you can play with buddies. I'm not sure if you can trade with other characters yet but I'm expecting guilds to appear in the future.

DrHarvey12

Well RIP servers. Apparently they went offline late last night and now they won't be back up till 5pm UK time. :facepalm:

That's pretty terrible to be offline for that long IMO. It sounds like it will fix some fairly serious issues that people have been having however so hopefully it is worth the downtime and I really hope they won't need to extend maintenance even further.

I guess offline will still work fine but I'm not that fussed about creating offline characters as I assume trading will become a thing at some point. Plus I have no idea if I will end up needing help from you guys as some of the bosses are absolutely brutal!! :D

DrHarvey12

Now saying that the servers won't be up before 12pm tomorrow although honestly I don't have much faith that they will be up for Sunday at all.

I guess at this point it's just a wait and see. They may as well take their time and get it right. Not great publicity for them and the Steam forums / Discord is turning pretty nasty now.

For ARPG diehards this won't be a big deal. We'll wait and play it when it's available or play offline. I think they will lose a lot of the casual audience pretty quick though which is a shame for them.

Last edited:

drinkturps

Now saying that the servers won't be up before 12pm tomorrow although honestly I don't have much faith that they will be up for Sunday at all.

I guess at this point it's just a wait and see. They may as well take their time and get it right. Not great publicity for them and the Steam forums / Discord is turning pretty nasty now.

For ARPG diehards this won't be a big deal. We'll wait and play it when it's available or play offline. I think they will lose a lot of the casual audience pretty quick though which is a shame for them.
Servers still offline. What a shambles of a launch. Think I'll try some offline as I am enjoying it.

EDIT: Don't know about anyone else but I'm having real issues targeting the swarmers in the early caves. I end up with 4 of them following me about! A bit frustrating.

Last edited:

DrHarvey12

Yes, those small bat things are sometimes un-killable for me too. They don't have a health bar and just follow you around for most of the level. Pretty annoying!!

I think the online servers are working again now? I've not seen anything official from Wolcen Studio but quite a few people last night were saying they are working again so that's good news if true!

DrHarvey12

Well the servers have been up and fairly stable recently albeit I try to play on the EU servers outside of peak hours.

Game is still a bit buggy. I've lost items from my stash including the first unique that dropped for me as well as all my crafting reagents. I also lost all my cosmetics as well.

I have a character who is somehow bugged in Act 3 of the story and cannot progress. It's a well documented bug that many others have also had and the patch today said it had fixed it. Well nope, still can't progress!!!

On the other character I made that did make it past this roadblock (with no issues at all) now for some reason any health that is on my body armour or my helmet doesn't affect my life pool at all. Since that could be an extra 2,500 (before any scaling on the tree) or there abouts at my level of gearing missing out on that is a pretty big issue. No other pieces get anywhere near those levels and I'm now too squishy to keep progressing.

There is a fair bit to like about Wolcen but there are so many bugs that keep it from feeling "good". I'm kinda happy I'm going to be away on business for a couple of weeks so maybe it will be in a bit better state by then!

DrHarvey12

Logged in this morning to try and trouble shoot my character and it's worse than I thought.

Any health on Helmet, Body Armour, Pants and Boots is not being used to calculate my health pool. Health on amulets, rings and belt seems ok. Health on gems seems ok.

However with the bulk of your health needing to come from your armour this is a progression stopper completely for me.

As such I am done with the game for now. I'll continue to watch for patch notes to see if they mention this issue and getting it fixed. FWIW my other character still can't progress any further in the story due to the Monolith Bug.

Looking at the Steam forums there are getting to be way more people posting bug reports than people not. Current Steam rating is down to 52% and mixed from very positive before launch.

Once again I am left wondering why I try to play games at launch. It always seems to be a bit of a horror show at the moment. :(

drinkturps

Logged in this morning to try and trouble shoot my character and it's worse than I thought.

Any health on Helmet, Body Armour, Pants and Boots is not being used to calculate my health pool. Health on amulets, rings and belt seems ok. Health on gems seems ok.

However with the bulk of your health needing to come from your armour this is a progression stopper completely for me.

As such I am done with the game for now. I'll continue to watch for patch notes to see if they mention this issue and getting it fixed. FWIW my other character still can't progress any further in the story due to the Monolith Bug.

Looking at the Steam forums there are getting to be way more people posting bug reports than people not. Current Steam rating is down to 52% and mixed from very positive before launch.

Once again I am left wondering why I try to play games at launch. It always seems to be a bit of a horror show at the moment. :(
That's bad. Hope they get these glitches sorted out. Thought I'd have a play online today. It's still a car crash with bosses gliding around with no animations and getting kicked to main menu. Think I'll stick with offline mode for now.

EDIT: How overtuned is wave 3 of the Act 1 boss? There is a good game here but it should never have left beta.

Last edited: