WOL Question

Hi Guys I'm hoping someone here can help me with a problem I am facing. Basically I was going to get a dedicated NAS drive but have had to shelf the idea due to a restriction in funds right now....bloody Xmas!!! Bahhhh

So currently I have a bit of a file server I have made up of spare parts i have which are as follows:

Asaka Eclipse Case
MSI P7N SLI Platinum Motherboard
Intel Q6600 Quadcore CPU
4Gb of G Skill PC8000 with tight timings
8800GT Graphics Card
Haupaugge Nova-T DVB TV Tuner Card
150Gb Western Digital Raptor 10,000rpm Hardrive (this is used as my boot drive)
4x 500Gb Samsung Spinpoints in RAID 5 on a Lindy PCI RAID Controller Card (this houses all my valueable data...photo's, audio backup, all my work files etc)
1x 2Tb Samsung Spinpoint plugged directly to my motherboard as a stand alone drive (this is used as media storage for AVI's, MKV's, Audio etc)

All internet capable devices in the home are ran through a Netgear Gigabit Switch and cabled throughout in CAT6 Cabling.

The PC has to carry out the following tasks:

* Serve as a local file server for all the media pc's and media streamers in the house.
* Serve as an FTP server for when I'm away from home and need work files while on the move (I will setup something like Filezilla for this task)
* Serve as my main download rig for getting media from the Usenet servers
* Have remote access software setup (logmein free does me just fine for this)

Now I appreciate the above spec is complete over kill for what i need but its what i had spare and serves me well when downloading vast amounts of data from usenet whilst still allowing media to be streamed throughout the home without any glitches.

My main problem with the above setup is power consumpion!! As stated I was originally going to go for a NAS drive which when not in use are fairly low power consumption. Because of this I dont really want to leave my PC switched on 24/7 as it would be to costly with electric so I have recently been looking for a WOL (Wake Over Lan) program that would allow me to send a magic packet to my PC from a remote location (IE: not on my local area network) so i can gain access to the FTP side of things as and when I want to. However the only WOL programs I have found so far only allow for the magic packets to be sent over your LAN and not over WLAN......does anybody know of any programs that will allow me to do this? If I could find a program that will allow me to do this via my Android handset it would be even better!!! (HTC Desire HD)

I have also had the idea of using a UK power socket that can be IP controlled....but that would just be added expense so not really the ideal solution!.

Any help given in this matter would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers Guys and Gals!!

AVMadness

the_beast

Novice Member
to do 'WakeOnWAN' you would first need to tunnel in to your home network using VPN or similar. Getting it to work direct from your phone would be tricky. I can do a similar thing as I have a router flashed with a custom Linux firmware - I VPN into my network using OpenVPN, then telnet into the router, and send a magic packet from the router to my server. Complex, but a solution for you (TBH I never bother with it as it takes time - I just leave the server running).

In your situation I would instead look at your build - unless you are folding, remove the GPU, as it's just burning ~100W even at idle for no gain. Underclock the cpu, maybe even disable 3 of the cores (disable multithread in the BIOS). Get rid of the RAID5 (that card is crap anyway, and if a drive fails it will likely bring the array down - cheap cards are not a good idea for RAID5, and cause more problems than they solve). If you use the drives separately you can set them to spin down in idle, saving power. Also remove the TV card (as you didn't mention you use it).

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
No mention of OS. did you have one in mind ?

P.S the_beast, are you the same poster from overclock.net ?

Last edited:

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
the one and only :thumbsup:
:hiya:

Great to see someone who really knows their networking posting on our forums. Your posts over in the Servers sub forum over there are always really informative and helpful.

To Hill Skill: I was originally going to install FreeNAS as an operating system but upon doing so I found out the Lindy card I was using wasn't compatible and didn't wanna go full on software raid. So currently it's on Vista Ultimate lol probably the worst choice I could make but if I'm brutally honest I did it cause I was lazy at that moment in time and couldn't be bother digging about for a floppy drive to install raid in XP.

To the beast: Cheers for your input mate its much appreciated, you've touched on points I know I need to address such as the wasted power consumption but if I were to underclock the cpu and even turn cores off surely that will have a performance knock when the server is being used to stream 2 or 3 12Gb MKV files to various different media streamers in the house? I'm serving from memory here but I'm sure when I built the pc I bought ram that allowed it to run on a 1:1 memory divider with the cpu at stock speeds, underclocking will mean the memory is then ran on a divider…will that have a knock on networking performance?

Lindy Raid Card: It's all I could afford at the time beast and was wanting a £250ish one and to step into proper hardware raid. But I had no idea the Lindy one was quite so bad…I mean it's a 4port raid 5 card…so to loose your array if one of your drives goes down whilst configured in raid5 seems a bit of a con to me! Lol. If I am to configure my drives as stand alone drives I would loose the security of parity which I'm a little nervouse about when it's 10+ years worth of pictures and all my work documents (I'm self employed)

TV Card: The TV Card I do actually use as the file server is in my office so I use it as a htpc when working in there on my laptop.

GPU: I know I should remove this but the mobo has no onboard vga so would have to get a daft one to get a picture. I also hold onto the hope that eventually…one day….I might again find the time to do the odd bit of gaming lol.

VPN: This is something I've heard of lots but never took the time out to learn anything about it at all…I know you can remote access via it and some form of file sharing…but that's about as far as my knowledge goes. Suppose this will be my next step to start researching VPN technology!!

Much appreciated the help though guys as most of this stuff I'm pretty rusty with and some of it I've never touched at all.

Many Thanks

AVMadness

Last edited:

the_beast

Novice Member
For a decent RAID5 card best bet is something like a used Dell PERC 5/i or 6/i (8 port full hardware RAID5, 6/i also does RAID6) from eBay for around 80-100 quid (sometimes less if you're lucky). Nothing else comes close at that price point. All of the fakeRAID cards are pretty much junk, and I really wouldn't rely on them for your important data.

Single drives doesn't necessarily mean no protection. Rather than replace your existing RAID card you can just use them as single drives and use folder duplication (as provided by WHS or Amahi Home Server) for protection, or better still backup your data to an external hard drive (an external 2TB drive is around 80 quid - worthwhile protection for your business and personal data). RAID arrays can and do fail - don't rely on that alone to keep your data safe.

Kristian

:hiya:

Great to see someone who really knows their networking posting on our forums. Your posts over in the Servers sub forum over there are always really informative and helpful.
I'm sure that makes us regular contributors feel really good :rolleyes: :D

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
I'm sure that makes us regular contributors feel really good :rolleyes: :D
Ha! I wondered if it "sounded that way" :D Goes without saying that our regulars are the salt of the earth. The_Beast definitely stands out from the crowd over at OCN so its another feather in the cap if he is active over here too :thumbsup:

To the beast: Cheers for your input mate its much appreciated, you’ve touched on points I know I need to address such as the wasted power consumption but if I were to underclock the cpu and even turn cores off surely that will have a performance knock when the server is being used to stream 2 or 3 12Gb MKV files to various different media streamers in the house? I’m serving from memory here but I’m sure when I built the pc I bought ram that allowed it to run on a 1:1 memory divider with the cpu at stock speeds, underclocking will mean the memory is then ran on a divider…will that have a knock on networking performance?
Don't suppose you could give me your thoughts on that lot could you? I've also been digging about and have found a Gigabyte mATX board with a PCI-ex slot incase I go with one of those Dell raid cards and onboard video....have also got an early dual core (Pentium 820d)....maybe that would be a more suitable rig than this quad core.

I've never really come across that WHS before but red a little about it last night on it's Wiki page and think i might give it a trial run....gonna go and have a look at the pro's and con's of the other OS you mentioned

Can you recommend any good guides on VPN to save me a little time? I'm currently reading my way through a Programming in C guide so could really do without reading stuff i dont need to.....Many Thanks

AVMadness

the_beast

Novice Member
If all you do is media streaming, with no transcoding, then you can forget any worries about cpu/memory performance. A Pentium 3 can handle 3 concurrent HD streams without problem - a Q6600 could do it on a single core downclocked as low as it'll go (not that I would go that far, but ...). You will also be running your RAM at a lower speed, so no need for a divider.

Your Pentium D will use more power than the quad - don't bother. Try and sell it and hope there is someone stupid enough to buy it from you...

I don't have anything to hand about VPN I'm afraid, but you should be able to find a guide on OpenVPN if you Google it. If you're busy with C++ this might not be the best time to mess with it all though. If you do plump for WHS then it has remote access built in anyway - although obviously this is no use if you are trying to wake up the server itself! I would imagine Amahi has something similar also.

I also wouldn't bother with RAID at all for your server. For low numbers of disks (and I mean less than 10-15) it really makes more sense to go with folder duplication for data storage. Even with more disks it is hard to recommend RAID, because the chances of total array failure goes up rapidly with large numbers of large disks.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom