1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOHOO! 36" Philips P.Plus arrived yesterday - it's unbeleivable! (bargain aswell)....

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by PapAV, May 29, 2002.

1. PapAV

PapAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Aaaaahhhh sweeet

Sat in my front room and it looks v. large and v. pretty.

The picture qualty is superb

I agree with others - it takes a little bit of getting used to as images are so sharp.

I'm delighted

And I got it for £1600 including a 5 year warranty from robertwhyteltd.co.uk in Glasgow

hmmmmm... they're also doing the Sony reference (DVP900?) DVD player for £300!

2. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I get mine tommorow morning can't wait!

Got it for £1569 with 5 yr warranty. Paying £25 installation as it's soooo heavy!

Full review coming up....

3. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Beavis, where did you buy yours from?

4. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JL on a price match!

Having read the advice on this board, the security of a 5 yr warranty for free seems a good deal to me.

I also notice that House of Fraser are offering a pocket tv for 9.99 for TV purchases at the mo, as I believe they do a price match too.

5. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks beavis by JL do you mean John Lewis, as I cannot find the philips on their site?

cheers!

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still can't believe people are paying this amount of money for what is effectively old technology.

Why, for that sort of money you could be getting up to a 50" projection set, a projector giving 100" screen size or (very shortly) a plasma.

Isn't it just wasted cash to pay upwards of 1 and half grand for any kind of "tube"?

I paid about £280 for my set and that I think is quite enough!

7. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is obvious you don´t know what you are missing... :p

8. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can understand what you are saying BenDover, but the fact is I don't want a projector in my living room (or any other room), neither do I want a 50" Plasma at the moment. Like it or lump it, this kind of technology will be around for a while yet and at least it's tried and tested unlike alot of the new technologies out there. I don't see why I should have to compromise with a crappy tv just for the sake of something better coming round the corner. There are always better things on the horizon even regarding projectors or plasma screens. You could say the same thing regarding a video recorder, why not get sky+ instead?...but why should you pay a charge of £10 a month!

Lowrider - agreed...and planbeta yep, I mean John Lewis. The Internet site is not very good though, best to visit them in person.

9. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    BenDover, sure CRT's are old technology - but that's not really a justified enough reason to discount them.

IMO I still think they are the best choice all round in terms of convenience and picture quality, of course like everything else they do have a downside - that is they tend to be a bit bulky/heavy and you are limited to 36inch box unless your room is huge!

Everything has pros/cons:

Front projecters may not be practical in terms of getting the lighting dark enough all the time for every tv use, plus if you watch a lot of tv it may prove costly in replacing bulbs. On the plus side they are probably the closest thing you'll get t o a 'home cinema' at the moment.

Rear projectors, although they have one up on normal CRT in terms of physical size and screen size, they are generally not as good as picture and you also have to be wary about screen burn.

Plasmas, are not entrirely proven at the minute, but they seem to be heading in the right direction, but tend to be out of most peoples budgets at the moment.

So convential CRT seem to be the comprimise for the moment...

10. gvh

gvh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    cor, thats a hell of a price.
    The thing is I don't need the sound so are there any other phillips 28 inch tv's to consider.
    I am currently going for a sony LS60...

11. Trueblue

Trueblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beavis - Who did you get JL to price match with? What evidence did you provide?

Thanks in advance

12. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True Blue- what area of the country are you in?

I'm in the North West, so you need to find a local shop to price match with.

Cheers

B.

13. Trueblue

Trueblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beavis, I'm in the West Midlands.

There's a JL in Solihull but who was offering it for £1,569?

Regards,

TB

14. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can only match to a local shop, so S+V won't be much use as it's in the North West.

Have a look at previous posts to see if any one price matches in that part of the country.

Cheers

B.

15. Trueblue

Trueblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Beavis,

I'll have a search.

TB

16. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True Blue - why not order from Robert whytel (shown at the start of this post)? That comes with a 5yr warranty too.

17. Trueblue

Trueblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heard very bad reports on R Whyte.

TB

18. S.S.Dhuper

S.S.Dhuper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a 36 TV I was thinking of the Panny PB50 but it's never mentioned in these forums is this Tv getting by it's sell by date????? but this 36 Philips Pixel is it D/D DTS with extra speakers like the Panny??? and is this the latest 36 advanced TV for sale compared to the others in the market.

19. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S.S, do a search for pixel plus in the search engine. The Philips is a very new set with built in Dolby Digital (not DTS).

I was considering the Panasonic but the PB50 has got buzzing problems I believe.

Have a read of the forum!

20. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    BEAVIS and Lucky Purchasers

I have tried to purchase the set from John Lewis-Cheadle and Liverpool. Both will not commit themselves to availability of set or delivery date-the price quotyed was £1995.

Will all the lucky purchasers please be very specific about the location of the stores and the price matching details that enabled them to purchase the set at such a low price.
    JL normally quote their 5 year guarantee inclusion as a reason not to match other prices.
    The set is available on the internet at the above price but only 1 year guarantee.
    Come on Beavis tell us your secret
    NJ

21. beavis

beavis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil - Get them to do a price match on Sound and Vision, Bolton, that should do the trick!

22. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    BEAVIS,
    Thanks for the quick response.
    I rang Sound and Vision this morning-I was quoted a good price and even better without the stand
    How long did you have to wait and which store did you deal with?

23. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    PAPAV

Welcome to the fan club.

I have tried plasma and the only one that gets close to the 9617 is the Panasonic 42" at 3 times the price, or others costing even more.

As for RPTV they are miles off the quality of the 9617. I know its all personal opinion, but I've never understood the attraction of RPTV. Even when the picture is good it only is so for the person sitting in the "sweet spot". Move off centre and it all goes to pot.

Sometime soon plasma will converge with CRT for quality and price. Until then Pixel Plus is easily the best picture quality in a large screen TV for about the £1.5k mark. JVC's new system out later this year may well contend with it.

Still, be a funny old world if we all liked the same thing.

24. PrinceOfEgypt

PrinceOfEgypt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I wasnt impressed with thephilips at all, its a fuss about nothing...average picture quality id say...

25. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree about a 36" crtv, flat hang on the wall tv's look good but our racks of hi-fi a/v gear will still stick out a mile.

26. Barry_X

Barry_X

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In comparison to what? i have the 9617 and it is easily the best picture from a tube TV I have ever seen..........and this is no ego boost - I thought that in the shop before I bought it....

27. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have been quoted various prices for the 36" Pixel Plus, none on the internet ranging from £1550 down to £1449 without the stand. The guarantee is for one year.
    I went to John Lewis , Cheadle today and was surprised to be told that it was available and in stock-last week over the phone they would not commit themselves to a delivery date.
    I then raised the issue of my price comparisons relative to Never Knowingly Undersold-they refused to be drawn in to telephone qoutes and insisted that the price had to be displayed in the store for their team to investigate. Alongside was the 32"-I pointed out that I could buy that model in Costco for £300 cheaper-ah but they only give a three year guarantee.
    I would be interested to know how anyone in this forum has actually managed to get their set at a much reduced price because from my experience today the price promise was non existant. Saga Direct were more forthcoming and don't even charge for delivery.
    So folks tell us how you achieved your price match with John Lewis-I have asked this question a few times now but no one has been forthcoming.

28. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Until recently JL have price matched internet sites and included what was often a better waranty service.Sadly they have now stopped doing so.Which is a loss to many,including imho, themselves.

29. Gordon A

Gordon A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Would be nice with all this talk of John Lewis etc., if some sort of list was compiled that named the location of the John Lewis store, and then the store or whatever that people have managed to get a price match from.

Oh yeah, when does the PW9527 hit the shops?

30. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13

:p Would be nice to see at least one respondant who got a price matching deal from John Lewis to advise the rest of how they did it.
    There have been quite a few requests from various people but alas to no avail. I see on other threads there is also another 36" Pixel Plus with PIP Facilities and different sound system-is this only for the continent-would it work over here?
    Neil Jones