1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wobbly Scart socket: how to fix?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by AllFumbs, May 22, 2005.

1. AllFumbs

AllFumbs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve an 18-year-old (or so) Sony Trinitron 20-inch telly (KV2092UB). (Yes, the one with the on/off switch that would go live and which was replaced four times till they got it right but that’s another story.)

Pretty advanced for its time it has a Scart socket in back and therein lies the difficulty. I bought a Mico DVD-recorder just before Christmas when a friend noted its price at Sainsbury’s slow-tumble from £200-odd to a penny under the ton: so I got one, too. The trouble is the Scart socket in the TV is so loose that when we walk past, a wobbly floorboard is enough to make us lose sound on a DVD we’re playing; or the picture’ll go all green, or blue; or we lose the picture altogether: till I get down on bended knee and jiggle the connection again.

I’ve had the back off the set and the assembly to which the Scart socket is mounted is itself flimsy and flexible; what a contrast with the jack-type connector we’ve used with successive video-recorders for years, without a hiccup.

Now okay, eighteen years from the one telly is pretty good going; but I’d been looking at IDTVs anyway (for when Freeview finally reaches us). So this is what I’m wondering: can anyone suggest a simple way to make a good, solid Scart-connection; or is it so long, Sony?

(It’ll have to be a simple repair; because I daresay a TV-repairer’s standard charge ‘just to look at it, sir’ would be better put towards a new set.)

Any ideas, anyone? (And thank you for reading.)

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    you can use some super glue if the socket has come away from the mounting, is it a physical issue or is it loose solder joints? if so they need resoldering