1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wobbly distorted sound at local cinena

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bunyboy, May 7, 2005.

1. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    there is this odd sound problem in my local ugc cinema which ive noticed a few times now on different films in 3 of the 6 screens (so it cant have been just dodgy sound on one particular print).... its hard to describe but here goes...

it just seems to be on the music track (dialogue and effects seem fine) but when the music gets loud or high (or something) it goes a bit wobbly or distorted, like an old audio cassette that got stuck in the heads, you wound it back into the case but since then when you get to certain points on the tape its wobbles around..... does that make sense?

im gonna complain next time it happens but i'd still love to know what is causing it, whay is it happening? its been going on a while and is now driving me crazy and i have no idea why they havent fixed it!

any experts out there have any ideas?

2. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sounds like they arn't leaving a big enough loop of film before the sound head,or the sound head is slightly out.

3. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    huh?

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

What Mad Hippy means, is that you need to get the UGC to have a word with their projectionist(s), and get them to double check that the projection unit and sound system have all been properly set-up and are 100% fully working. :lesson:

If the sound is distorted at the high-end (e.g. very loud noises or high-pitched music/sound FX), then their sound sytem needs re-calibrating and testing again. It may even be that their speakers are screwed, and need replacing.

Complain, and keep getting them to check all 6 screens, because you are paying your hard-earned money, and deserve a better cinema experience than this!

Pooch

5. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Good advice. The best Cinema in Bristol for picture and sound now happens to be the oldest and the least used. However, it is haunted by the ghost of a former manager who was shot dead in a robbery!

Pete.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    :eek:
    I've only been to the Odeon in Bristol near Broadmean (watched Attack of the Clowns there in stereo) and the WB over at Longwell Green. Where do they come in the pecking order Pete?
    Have to admit that I'm loving the brand new Odeon in Bath. :clap:

In response to the original question, I can only reiterate that you need to complain to the staff, write to the manager, write to the head office of the chain, write to the newspapers, ring up the BBC, start your own political party advocating better film quality and so on. :)

7. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Write a letter to UGC. We have had a number of free tickets this way. Complaining to the in house manager may have the same affect on the audio (ie none) but is unlikely to get you free tickets.

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Well, Vue at Longwell green is the superior cinema in everyway but there is something cool about the odeon. I thought the PQ was lovely as was the sound. A distinct lack of idiots too!

That said, I have my Episode 3 tickets booked at Longwell Green - I am going to the midnight showing on 18th.

Pete