1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Wobbling' picture on Pioneer DV-350

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nsherin, Jun 7, 2004.

1. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help. I've got a Pioneer DV-350 which has just started to cause a 'wobbling' image when you play back a DVD. Even if there is no disc in the player, the Pioneer logo and the setup menus still suffer from the same problem.

I've tried both SCART and composite video connections and the symptom is the same with both, so I suppose I can rule out the cables - the SCART works fine with my video.

Any ideas what the problem might be? Typically, the damn player is just out of warranty - by about 3 weeks! :mad: I'll get a quote for repairing it, but if it's over £30, I'll either buy a supermarket special - it's only hooked up to a 14" portable or use the TV-out on my PC's graphics card and buy a decent digital cable to hook up my Audigy 2 to my AV amp.

Thanks,
    Neil

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    This model has a known problem with the psu dying so perhaps its an indication that the psu is about to die.

3. Harry T

Harry T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I had the same problem with a Pioneer DV 655A.

First thought it was a NTSC - PAL conversion problem. Changed disks - same problem. Changed cables - same problem. Then the TV died.

Changed TV's and everything worked fine. The broken TV is waiting to be fixed, but I believe that the PS on the TV has failed. :mad:

Have you eliminated the TV from your problem?

4. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for the suggestions. Will double-check it's not the TV by trying it through my PC's TV card tonight and report back.

5. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Found the source of the problem. It's not the DVD player, it's not the TV. It's my fan!

Here's how I found out. My fan sits on top of the PC and I had to move it, in order to get to the connector at the back to plug the DVD player into the TV card to check if it was my TV or not. That worked fine - the player was OK when plugged into the TV card.

Plugged the DVD player back into the TV and just for the hell of it, tried again. The fan was still switched off, as I'd moved it aside and the picture was fine. Put the fan back, switched it on and the 'wobbling' started again. Must be something to do with the fan causing interference. Funny that it doesn't do this when I use the video.

Still, it's saved me the hassle/or expense of either getting the Pioneer repaired and getting a new DVD player!

6. Harry T

Harry T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent news. :thumbsup:

Why is it never the most obvious solution!

As I don't have a fan near my dead TV, I doubt I have the same problem. But I will try it on a different circuit tonight just to make sure.

7. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Definately. :) I'll try the fan in a different socket sometime. How did you get on with the TV?

8. Harry T

Harry T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's definately dead.

There will be no problem replicating the problem at the Service Centre.