1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wobble and Zoom

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by redsox_mark, Dec 19, 2003.

1. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I was recently watching the Two Towers on my PW6, in "zoom" mode (to have the 2.35:1 format fill the screen). I know this is a questionable practice, but my wife doesn't like the black top and bottom bars.

I was happy with the quality of the picture doing this. I know I was missing bits on each side, but this didn't bother me. What I did notice that I seemed to be missing bits off the bottom - some scenes where there were "subtitles" in Elvish the subtitles were partially cut. When zooming a 2.35:1 film I shouldn't lose the top/bottom of the picture, right?

I did a search and found this thread from about a year ago:

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57666

I do have "wobble" turned on (seemed like a good idea to have max burn protection), I wonder if this is why? I didn't actually see the screen "move", but I was losing the bottom. If so, should I turn wobble off? Is wobble really useful for screen burn (from video sources, not static images)? Has anyone else seen this with a PW6?

Mark

2. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I wouldn't worry about the picture mate, it's the wife that needs sorting. Why not trade her in for a more Home Theatre freindly model.;)

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Hmm... that's an idea...:laugh:

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,077
    Little sympathy here. Watching movies in a format other than that in which they were 'designed' is unforgivable.

BTW - are the Elvish subtitles actually outside the visible area of the film - i.e. in the bottom black bar? It's a while since I saw this film so I don't remember.....

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    The Elvish was on the visable area (not on the black bars). In zoom mode we could see some of the words but they were cut off.
    Mark

6. Costas

Costas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    Sorry to say..... this is very very wrong! I cannot believe that your wife could force something totally unforgivable "destroying" a true widescreen cinematic picture. You do not need a PW6 if you are going to do zoom on!!! I only use the zoom feature to get rid of the Cbeebies logo when the children are watching sometimes but that's as far as it goes!!

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Ok, I promise I won't zoom a true widescreen cinematic picture anymore (or at least admit it!).

Still have the questions:

1. Is Wobble useful/neccessary?
    2. Does Wobble mess up the screen alignment, especially with Zoom?

Mark

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not sure if it is the cause of your problem, but, some facts about screen burn, which is why you've got it turned on. The panasonics are probably the most bulletproof plasma for sceen burn, and do not succumb easily. also, to get screenburn you need to leave, say, a channel logo, on your screen for many hours. I used to work for a NW£ based plasma dealer who ran The Hits, on freeview virtually 24/7, and whilst he fried 2 fujitsu HHA's he never killed a PW5 in the time I was there. So it's dubious 1.) whether you need wobble, and 2.) whether moving your image just a few pixels will help in any case. It's designed for text, where the letters are only a few pixels across. Even the dreaded red dot is bigger than that.

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Thanks MAW. I'll try turning off the wobble and see if the zoom works better. Sounds like I don't really need it (I don't use it for text, and don't leave it on for long periods of time.
    Mark

10. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    That is so hypocritical, do you realise the artistic blood, sweat and tears that the makers of CBeebies put into their creations? All so that you can butcher it for the sake of your plasma's long term health. How selfish can you get.