1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wnat an easy way to get sky upstairs in good quialty

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Rookies, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    As topic please help as I am still stuck on this.

2. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Get a video sender.

Not cheap but saves all the hassle of running cables and has the advantage of sending stereo sound as well (coax will only send mono).

3. darrenjuggins

darrenjuggins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Agree with the above post - Should cost you about £50 - £60 for a phillips sender box.

Works great - I've got two sets, use only one sender unit and then have the receiver units on my LCD in the bedroom and also one into my computer TV card.

Works a treat, all you need is another controller to change the channels.

Stereo sound and video signal as well as the infra red signal all get set via the box.

Be warned as it's 2.4 GHZ it may interfere / visa versa with your wireless network in the house if you have one.

Cheers

Darren J

4. rondun

rondun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi -

This is putting me off getting one - do you have any experience with this, and know of a way to avoid it?

thanks

5. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Yeah me too as I do have a wireless network too

6. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Also forgot to mention do i just get another Sky remote does it work with the reciever upstairs?

7. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a video sender & wi fi network - no obvious interference. Just keep your router and video sender receiver away from each other.

Big Al

8. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Which video sender do you have please mate? Also what the picture quility like and also do we use the sky plus remote upstairs to change channels through the video sender?

9. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use a digisender available from argos. Picture quality is excellant on my 32" Hitachi plasma and sound quality is exceptional too. You can use your regular sky remote or a learning remote.

Big Al

10. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I presume this will work with sky+ as well? - as it will simply control the box downstairs?

11. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Please can you tell me which one in argos as I will get the same one as yours as i dont want to get the wrong one

12. Steviefull

Steviefull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have telewest downstairs and want to view it upstairs, is there any way i can get telewest upstairs but also so i can have different channels showing upstairs than downstairs. Also have wifi in the house.

13. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a newish house with a TV socket in the wall in your living room and in the master bedroom (like me) then they may 'join' up in the loft to an aerial. I only receive Sky + so I did not need the aerial.

All I did was disconnect the aerial and then connect the two sockets' cables together in the loft, bought a Magic Eye from ebay and a Sky + remote.

This works perfectly for £25 outlay and 15 minutes work.

14. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    This is what I have done after getting a magic eye but the picture just a little grainy is yours?

15. Steviefull

Steviefull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so if i were to get a magic eye, another telewest decoder thing and a wireless thingy i could watch telewest upstairs and downstairs and watch different channels?

16. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the tv upstairs is on a 14" Panasonic but the picture is very sharp.

I did have problems at first with a bad picture and no red LED on the magic eye. All I did was to redo all connecting points in the cable and got rid of excess cable length in the loft and all was fine. Verify that your joins are correctly screened.

17. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Brakeinip

I too have a socket in the master bedroom and was planning on getting a sender to get Sky upstairs. This sounds like a good alternative, however you have lost me completely, especially the bit about 'magic eye'. Have never heard of this.

Would you mind listing an idiots (that me) guide on what you did?

Cheers

18. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The "magic eye" is a way of sending the signals from the remote back to the Sky box via the RF cable. It consists of a small box in the remote room, which is connected back to the Sky(+) box via the RF co-axial cable that carries the signal from the box.

Look at this page

19. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The magic eye uses the coax to send your remote signals back to the Sky box so you can change channel from a different room. It plugs in between your 2nd TV and the aerial lead.

I cannot advise you on your Telewest kit as I have not used it before.

From what I just read you want to have 2 boxes in different rooms and change channels individually? The magic eye just extends the signal down from the Sky box to another tv via the coax output and allows you to use the remote control. The wireless setup does the same but without cables running to the second TV.

So to watch seperate channels on seperate tv's I assume you would need 2 receivers. The eye and wireless kit would not help you here.

20. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link Nick_UK!

No problem!

You will need to confirm that your tv coax runs through the loft. In my loft I have a cable running up from the lounge to the redundant tv areial and a cable running up from the master bedroom to the tv aerial. I just unplugged both from the aerial and used a coax joiner to create the link between upstairs and downstairs.

I then got a suitable coax cable and plugged one end in to the wall socket downstairs and the other in to the lower RF out port on the sky box.

Upstairs I unplugged the coax from the back of the tv and installed the magic eye kit - one end plugs into the tv (where the original coax was) and the other connects to the tv coax. If all is well with your connections you should get a red LED lit up on the magic eye unit.

Position the infra red sensor in a suitable place and try it out :)

21. Steviefull

Steviefull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    two receivers and two subscriptions or just the two receivers?

22. Oh Contrary!

Oh Contrary!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to barge in but can I just return to the video sending part of the thread. Am I right in understanding you can send a digital video signal, say from a PC, to a plasma screen TV?

If so presumerably you can have a PC set up in a room other than the lounge and send TV/DVD and AUDIO signals from there to the plasma TV and AMP in the lounge.

Is this possible or am I wide of the mark!

Thanks Chris.

23. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say the former but I could be wrong. I don't have telewest hardware!

24. Brakeinup

Brakeinup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    An output from a PC to its monitor is different from what a Sky box etc outputs (I think thats right).

But, a signal from a TV out port on the video card of the PC could possibly support the video through a sender to the TV. I am not sure about audio though if you wanted 5.1

25. andrewf

andrewf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thanks Brakinup for the how to - guess this way will mean I lose analogue signals from the aerial. Will have to see if there is anyway of doing a three way split so that I can use Sky and keep the analogue in.