1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMVHD Hardware Accelaration

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by lisag, Oct 23, 2005.

1. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Was looking for info on what the purevideo scaler settings do - and found this by accident.

It seems to lower cpu usage for me by about 20% when playing back T2 1080 HD film :thumbsup:

lisa

2. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    This is the fix that enabled Nvidias 'pure video' option to actually work as intended. Up until the fix was issued, pure video was little more than a marketing gimmick because there was no way of making it work.

3. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    even though i had everything running fine, i d/l this and when i tried to play a .ts file it says media player cannot open this file in wmp10 and in mce2005. i re-d/l pure video, then the hotfix, and now wmp10 crashes as does mce when i throw a .ts file NOOOOOOOOOO!!! 2 more episodes of series 2 to watch, and this happens. i cant work it out.

any ideas please?

4. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Eeek. Have you got the newest version of the purevideo codec, ends in 77, released last week, it was supposed to improve playback with .ts files.

5. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems you have found a way to play this back, would you be good enough to share with me?

(Or should I use Google ;) )
    Thanks

Dave

6. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    It just plays in MCE - copied it to the hard drive, mapped it via My Movies and it just played :confused: I think navigation is a bit flaky but play and stop work ok.

7. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lisa, I'll give it a try!

8. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've installed My Movies but I can't find where to configure the location of my movie files! I've tried the "Edit Collection" but it's double dutch to me! I've also tried the faqs

Do I have to edit the registry?

Thanks

Dave

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    :D Yes, it takes a bit of getting used to... you need to store your films in a particular way - each film having its own folder. If the film is an avi file just put it in one folder - so T2.avi will be in a folder called T2, if you have several avi's name them numerically, so T2_1, T2_2, T2-3 etc and put them all in one folder called T2. If they are ripped DVD's they should be ripped in file mode and stored like this...
    Main folder T2, in that folder an empty folder called AUDIO_TS and another folder called VIDEO_TS in the video-ts folder put all the vobs, ifo's, bup's.

Now the films are stored correctly, go into edit collection and type in the name of the film, it should automatically download the cover, movie and cast info etc, then when you click to add title, point it to the main 'T2' folder and that should be it. Then go into My Movies and see all your films catalogued, view online trailers and watch them...

lisa

10. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Surely you can play these files using "My Videos" this works for me with ripped DVDs in folders and most avi and .TS files.
    I don't think My Movies is doing anything clever regards playback it's just a nice database frontend for your movie collection.

11. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem I have is that the files are HDWMV and have a .WMV suffix. Strictly speaking it's not a DVD in the usual sense of the word.

Lisa, are these the files you copied and can play OK? (there are four of them on the 2nd disk of the Extreme Edition)

12. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Yes, I can play these back ok within MCE, either via My Movies or My Video's... they should be the same format as the files you can download from Microsoft here . I can also get full 5.1 sound via an spdif cable to my amp, but now I am just showing off :cool:

So... can you playback these files ok?

lisa

13. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Short answer is no!

I've copied a DVD to disk but it only seems to give me the trailer, cover and info. I still can't point it at the disk that has the files on it. Do I have to put them in the My Mocies folder or can I store them on a drive D for example?

Thanks for your help (and patience!)

Dave

14. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    You need to tell My Movies that your DVD is online as opposed to offline.
    AFAIR it is in the bottom left corner of the edit collection screen

15. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Well in the next update for media center microsoft will release it's own version of my movies, so hold out ofr tha,t yes it has cover art and movie info to...

16. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Can you play it back off the disc? I wonder if there is some copy protection in place that is preventing it getting copied to your hard drive correctly?

lisa

17. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They copy ok but, of course, they are protected by CPRM. That's why I am surprised you are able to play them.

Previous research lead me to believe that I needed a US proxy and had to configure the PC as a US one. Using MC seems too good to be true!

Thanks MrCrow, those terms confused me as I took online to me online as in on the internet. Offline I took to mean on my PC, the only expalnation for not being "online"!!

Dave

18. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I've got is sussed now! File Import doesn't really mean import it means tell me where the files are!

I've pointed it at my folder and it's found the two DVDs I've put there and also the T2 wmv files.

That's the end of the good news! It can't play the T2 wmv files!

Thanks to all who contributed and sorry to Lisa for hijacking her thread!

19. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Well, I am glad you have made some progress, I don't know why it won't playback the wmv files - is it the copy protection on T2 that is the problem? You could try downloading one of those Microsoft demo's and see if it plays that back ok.....?

lisa

20. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's definitely the CPRM that is the problem. I did get a licence ages ago but it only lasted a week. Once that expires I think you've had it!

I'm sure it will be fine with the other HD demos/trailers that I have.

Thanks again for your help.

Dave