1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMVHD Discs-Regional Status?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Hellicopter, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Hellicopter

Hellicopter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Am I correct in assuming that discs such as 'The Magic of Flight' are Region 1 rather than Region 0 ?

2. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Can't speak for 'The Magic of Flight' but I believe it is the same as 'Coral Reef Adventure' which I have. You get two discs, the regular DVD which is region one NTSC and secondly the WMVHD disc which has no region encoding. The WMVHD disc has 'On Disc DRM' which means you must have the original disc to view it, a copy wont work. You don't need to go on line to enable it.

Jim

3. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Could you just confirm that Coral Reef Adventure has on disk rights management?

I thought I'd seen a thread where it was stated that this disk needed to dial up for rights?

If it is on disk then Play here I come....(or wherever it is cheapest).

Ian

4. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Coral Reef has DRM server on the disk itself, so no internet connection is necessary to enable playback.

5. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes 'On Disc DRM' for sure. Ian you might be thinking of "Step In To Liquid" which I believe is 'On Line DRM' I didn't bother with it for that reason, the copyright owners have determined that I should not view it at any price.

Jim

6. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks fellas..off to order now.

Ian

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    I've just got 'Coral Reef Adventure', and the disk gets stuck on the intro: "this disk contains the full movie in Windows Media High Definition Video. To view this disk, please insert it into the DVD-ROM drive of your Windows PC".

Out of 3 pcs, it does it on 2. I managed to get it to work on one by removing and re-inserting the disk into the drive. Any ideas how to get round that?

EDIT - on my desktop machine, I had to follow some instructions via a web link which you have to type in some commands via the 'dos' prompt. That fixed the problem and allowed playback. Quite a visible improvement over DVD, so I'm looking forward to seeing it on the projector tomorrow.

TIA

Gary.

8. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary - same problem as me, but I can't get the disk to work even after typing the command lines. Any ideas?

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    No, sorry.

I've just tried it again and now my active x controls are wrong. Will have to have a closer look. Crap system if it won't play on every pc it's put into...

Gary.

10. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If my machine is not connected to the web, the program states as such and asks me to connect - it hangs and will not progress further. I've used a proxy server setting listed for T2 but all to no avail. The browser states it's acquiring a licence when I click to run the film, but a message appears asking for me to re-insert the film into a DVD-rom.

All of the trailers run superbly - all I've got is a bloody expensive demo disk on my hands at the mo folks. Any ideas?

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    I'm using Coral Reef Adventure, and I managed to get it running again using the command prompt and typing in as required.

I also think that these HD DVDs require a sound card using the seperate speaker outputs, and not spdif. Not sure what the T2 Extreme DVD wants though. I've tried the Matrix Reloaded (Hi Def version), and that plays Dolby Digital OK, (via spdif) now that I've installed the AC3 filter.

I think they need to sort this out if they want it to be successful. Most people don't want to fiddle with the settings etc when they want to play a movie. I wonder if WinDVD 6 will fare any better seeing as it's meant to support WMV files.

Gary.

12. Muf

Muf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Rogeralpine, I had a problem once where my WMVHD discs refused to play and they had worked OK previously ( some licence message came up), After a long search eventually I read somewhere that Windows Media Player 10 would cure it. I downloaded it (beta version from some where on the MS website) and sure enough all the discs worked again.

Jim

13. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Sorry I’m not Gary ;), but this is the procedure I follow for generating a license:

- Pop the second disc in the DVD-Rom drive and browse to that drive (i.e. D:\)
    - Double-click on licgen.exe, found in the root folder of the disc.
    - Nothing appears to have happened after that step, but your license has just been written to the registry and is valid for one week.
    - Browse to the video folder and double click on either CoralReef_Feature.wmv for the 1080p version, or CoralReef720p.wmv

Voilà. Windows Media Player launches and plays the files beautifully.

But since I like to complicate my life, after following that procedure I normally play my WMV files using ZoomPlayer Pro WMV 4.02. I also use the latest beta of AC3Filter which does on the fly re-encoding of the WMA 5.1 track into Dolby Digital 5.1, for passthrough via S/PDIF to my receiver.

Cheers.

14. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    I'd tried the licence generator previously, but it still doesn't provide DD audio from Coral Reef. Using the command prompt seems to work if it won't play initialy though. That's purely for Active X and not the licence.

I've done everything you have suggested, but still no DD soundtrack from Coral Reef.

I'm using AC3Filter, but although it allows 5.1 from my other Hi Def stuff, I still can't get DD from CR. I use ZP too, but still have issues with it - it plays Matrix Reloaded Hi Def etc with DD audio, but not Coral Reef. I only get pro-logic from that. Maybe V10 will cure it all, or maybe I should try the AC3 beta you mentioned, or maybe the latest ZP pro.

It's obviously a set-up issue with individual PCs, but really, it should work straight from the DVD without having to download additional codecs or rely on command prompts. I'll have to try it again in my HTPC and see how that runs. That also plays other Hi Def material with DD output which is the main thing, but I haven't tried CR in it for a while.

As long as the movies run OK I'm not overly bothered, but it would be nice if the pukka DVD that I bought would run properly like the other stuff does. :)

Gary.

15. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ummm - after lots of dossing about, it finally works. It did revert back to type a couple of times, but after a few goes it seems to play Ok. Only thing now is that I've got the DD problem i.e it ain't there - doh!!

Did you say Gary that typing those comand lines sorted it for you? In WMP, I've gone to the Tools, Options, DVD, Advanced - and there's an option for s/pdif out. When this is selected, Windows reports an error and generates a report which it asks you if you want to sned it to MS. I presume this prob is either fixed in the beta 10 version, or I need this AC3filter thingy?

I presume this is fairly easy to find? /goes off to look!/

16. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers - got it to work by browsing off the disk, but the DD problem is still there. What I noticed was that starting from the browser, the film does not start with the menu screen (it goes straight to the film) which from memory provided the user with the option to select 5.1 out. Not being able to select this means that the output is just PCM!

How do you disable autorun - I've got Cyberlink DVD installed and it trys to play automatically the WMHDV. I'm thinking if the "autorun" feature on Cyberlink was disabled, I may get it to boot up in Mediaplayer!!

17. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the film now working from the menu, but the 5.1 option still doesn't work.

Andy - you don't happen to have that URL do you which gave you the 2 command line prompts? (Or better still, the prompts in question?) For some reason I cannot get it to display the error message which gave you the URL.

Cheers

18. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    Hi Roger,

Typing the commands sorted out the active x problem that prevented playback, but so far I've not managed to get Dolby Digital out from Coral Reef. It does play though.

When I choose the DVD advanced option, I get the AC3filter properties up, and that has spdif selected. It works for all other DD media, but not CR. Obviously something needs tweaking somewhere....

Gary.

19. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the audio. ;)

There is no Dolby Digital track on Coral Reef Adventure at all. The 5.1 audio is encoded in WMA Pro, which you obviously cannot decode on your receiver directly. So you have two options to get true 5.1 audio to your receiver:

1) If your sound card has 5.1 or more analog outputs, and your receiver has 5.1 analog inputs, you should connect them accordingly using 6 RCA cables. Then you simply need to configure Windows for 5.1 output: go to Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices. And under Advanced -> Speaker Setup choose “5.1 surround speakers”.

2) If you want to connect via S/PDIF to your receiver, you need to re-encode the WMA Pro audio to Dolby Digital 5.1 on-the-fly. This way your receiver will get a true DD 5.1 signal. Some nForce motherboards are equipped with onboard soundcards that can do this for you, since they hardware-encode everything to DD 5.1.

I do not have such a motherboard however, so I rely on AC3Filter 1.01a rc5 to re-encode on the fly. 1.01a is the only version of AC3Filter capable of doing this.

I hope this helps a little...

BTW, to disable all annoying autorun actions I use AnyDVD: http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

Cheers.

20. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    Ahhh - yes that clarifies things quite a bit, thanks. :)

I thought earlier on that you needed analogue outputs, but when you mentioned spdif, I figured I was wrong. That explains it.

How stable is AC3Filter 1.01a? Worth installing it would you say?

TIA

Gary.

21. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi Gary,

The beta version of AC3Filter is surprisingly stable. Just make sure you uninstall the old version before installing the new one.

It can re-encode Stereo or Pro Logic sources to DD 5.1 as well, such as satellite TV, DivX/XviD files and even MP3's. Of course you're just getting an upmix in that case, rather than 5.1 discrete channels.

Cheers.

22. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    Thanks,

I'll give it a go then.

Gary.

23. C4man

C4man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just thought I'd add this as there seem to be quite a few people on these forums trying to get the WMVHD IMAX films to work.

I have one thing to say, persevere

I bought the Amazon 2 disc set and got it working through on my laptop. It's a Mobile P1.5 with 512MB even though I got a message saying my hardware wasn't up to the job. Whilst strictly true it only drops the odd frame here and there. It's linked to my Panny AE-500 and the image is....

STUNNING. :clap:

I work in TV and am used to seeing HD images, in fact I was shooing HD today. Even so I had to pinch myself becuase of the quality of the image, it really was one of those goosebumps moments. The IMAX format really helps sell WMVHD, it's all to do with the size of the negative. I have Standing in the Shadows of Motown disc and whilst the WMVHD version is better than the SD version it's not 'head and shoulders' above it.

It's also interesting that by a process of elimination I also found that WM9 Audio was not AC3, I shall be trying the new version of AC3 filter.

I think I'm going to be ordering some more of these films, I do have to add whilst the images and sound are fantastic, the travelogue/documentary style of the Amazon film is a bit odd.

Chris

24. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    what a faf. I'll need a bit more time on my hands before i buy a full WMVHD disc.
    But I'm impressed by the demos. How else can you get full HD movies with 5.1 DD/DTS? (please don't use the words "alt" or "binaries" in your answer, there's something else that'd need a bit too much time getting up to speed with :smashin: )

25. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :zonked: doh!!! Cheers for that - was beginning to get annoyed even though I am getting a decent pro-logic soundstage.

So is it easy to setup AC3filter to do the conversion on the fly?

I've already got AnyDVD - didn't realise it has an autorun disable feature - excellent!!

...and C4man, have you seen an other inferior PJ's with HD stuff? Presently my AE100 is being pushed way beyond it's limits, even so it still provides and excellent image. How much better would the AE500 or equivalent be with the higher res panel? Would you see a much greater improvement over the lower res panels of the AE100 etc??

26. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,092
    Hi Roger,

Just thought I'd throw in my tuppence worth here too. :)

With lower res panels such as 800 x 600, the advantage isn't that obvious, but with an xga or higher res pj, the resolution is advantage is noticable, with background objects looking much sharper.

Something else re WMV - I can't get 5.1 from my SP2 PC which has a Trust 514 soundcard (using optical out as a test). DVDs play fine though, so I'm not sure if it's an SP2 issue or something else...

Gary.

27. Abstrakt

Abstrakt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Found this guide today that might help you in setting up AC3Filter:
    http://www.hdtvtotal.com/realtime-ac3-encoding-en.html

Halfway down the article it shows precisely what I've done, with screenshots to boot.

I use a Panasonic AE-500 as well, by the way. :) A 720p native resolution means it is a high def projector, while previous models were not. When viewing 720p HD material you are getting the best possible picture, since the source matches 1:1 with every single pixel in the projector's panels. And of course 1080i/p material downscales to 720p beautifully.

Cheers.

28. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...'spose I'm just looking for a good reason to upgrade my PJ chaps!! ;)

Good link for the AC3filter guide - cheers!! :smashin:

29. C4man

C4man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Roger,

in response to your AE100 questions. HD will look better than your SD stuff, you get a better contrast ratio, although a lot of the resolution advantages will not show up. I did have the same PJ, until the bulb blew at about 4000 hours and the optical block was so colour contaminated I bit the bullet and bought the 500, the change in resolution and contrast is not to be sniffed at.

HD is becoming a real hot topic in TV in the UK at the moment, interesting to see the news regarding PACE announced today, together with the Blue Ray announcement the other day.

Chris

30. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers C4man - glad to hear the 500 offers a decent improvement. I'm not sure though whether my loyalities rest with the Panny range - my unit, although not having suffered the fate that many others have on here, is starting to show signs of colour staining which, IMHO, is not acceptable.

The lounge in which I operate the PJ is north facing and is therefore always cool - so I can't blame part of the problem on excessive environmental temperatures (I must admit though, I havn't run the PJ on "high" mode - but why should I?)

How have you found the build quality of the 500? Does anyone know if the optics are substantially better than it's predecessors so as to not suffer from the aforementioned problems?