Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

WMVHD Clips at John Lewis Bluewater

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by dean randle, Nov 14, 2004.

1. dean randle

dean randle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Visited John Lewis, Bluewater, today and they were showing WMVHD clips on a Sagem DLP HDTV, using a pc. There was also some American Sport being shown too, and motor racing.
    Picture quality was great, none of the plasmas in the separate room could touch it. Just thought it might be of use to some people who haven't seen HD in action! Roll on HD is what I say!!

Dean.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I wonder if any high street retailer actually hooks up their Plasmas to a HD source rather than a bog standard RF distribution:)

3. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    Connolly Bros Hi-Fi Ltd., (Sony Centre)
    16 West Nile Street,
    Glasgow

have been running HD demo stuff through a PC to one of their 32" LCD sets- some stunning pictures, I can tell you.

Cheers,

Martin.

4. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and comet in cribbs causeway if you take a hd disc in they will play it

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Well I did ask :D
    Good to know even if the question concerned Plasma and not LCD but it is a SONY store and they seem to be pro LCD to a huge extent.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

I assume that would be a MS wm9 encoded movie/feature and not a 1080i TS file:)
    I'll hold up my hand though and say I am impressed, the fact that any Comet employee would even understand what HD is and how to hookup a PC to a SD or HD Plasma is quite remarkable:)

7. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    I saw the same demo in Comet's on a Sagem.
    What impressed me the most was that it was a rear-projection screen.
    I didn't think such good contrast and sharpness was possible on that type of technology. I like DLP!

8. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    They've also got this demo running in our local Comet out-of-town job.

It's very impressive, but also a bit cheeky.

I wonder how many people have bought one of these rear-pro sets after seeing the demo only to be left wondering why Eastenders doesn't look as good once it's in the living room.

Also, it's hardly suprising that the Sagem has the best picture in the shop when they run all the plasmas off a crappy store wide RF loop !

9. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    You must admit, it still looked good though, better than any plasma or crt in the shop!

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

That was my point:)
    The DLP being fed HD while the Plasmas were being fed the same RF the CRT's were getting or some composite video via less than optimal scart connections.
    Given that the Sagem has got a decent write up even on non-HD sources from within these forums the potential customers still do need to be told exactly why it looks so good and why once it's in their lounge it will no longer look quite as good:)

Unless they are as mad as us and have spent stupid money on HD material:)

11. rangers fan

rangers fan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the glasgow sony centre also have two plasma tvs and a projector hooked up to a hi definition satellite system although the dish hadnt been fitted when i visited they hope to have it up and running next week :clap: :clap:

12. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    You seem to be some lucky people! Haven't seen any retailers with the 'foresight' to run HD demos at all. Mostly the usual stuff of distributed RF, or DVD via composite. I must admit I was greatly shocked to actually see a DLP set hooked up via component recently in a major retailer!

Anyway, on the subject of the 'ethics' of showing HD material to potential buyers, I would be happy to see these displays running from decent prog-scan DVD players. The HD stuff could be there on request, for the more 'clued-up' viewers.

13. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they will play any file .ts or wmv

14. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +986
    To answer Starburst's point, I have now seen, as previously mentioned, HD demo's on LCD at the Glasgow Sony Centre, and in two Comet shops (one in Glasgow Sauchiehall Street, the other in the Uddingston Branch) on the Sagem set rear projection model, but have yet to see it on Plasma - I can't understand that one at all, other than perhaps Comet are trying to promote a less costly HDTV format.

Cheers,

Martin.

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    It's not the actual retail price that they are concerned about, it's the retailer mark up:)
    Maybe Sagem are dumping stock onto the UK market and Comet have got a good commision deal to push them while getting less attractive deals from the likes of Panasonic/Pioneer to push their plasma tech. Totally understandable if that was the case for a retailer to emphasis one product over another.
    Kesa (Comets parent company) also has French interests, perhaps one of them includes Sagem:)

16. dvdmike007

dvdmike007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and dlp is widely accecpted as better. it can do black shock horror!

i have the sagem and have not looked back since buying it

17. welsh113

welsh113

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I highly doubt they are pushing one over the other its just that there are not many plasmas out yet that can suport the 720p hidef signals that are expected to be the format of choice.....in early 2006, there are one or 2 within most peoples price range that shop at these places but not many and here we have 2 tellies that are 1500-2000 pound (not much more than a good 36inch standard crt!) that are capable(toshiba,sagem) of the stunning future of telly!!

18. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I suspect it's something to do with Sagem providing the PC for the HD stuff, since it is usually one of these sets that is showing the HD stuff.

Success, by the way... I managed to see an Axium running HD demo material today (Comet, Stoke-on-Trent)! Amazing, of course.

19. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Seems Sagem have done their research and provided a PC to feed HD to all demo units. As a few prople have mentioned, nothing can touch it for quality when compared to the standard RF loop.

Hat's off to the marketing department of Sagem! But I still see rainbows!

20. Rock_500

Rock_500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just for info Leicester HiFi are running a HD demo via sat on a pioneer plasma, been in a few times and seen it running.

21. Kalab

Kalab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just seen HDTV in ........ wait for it............Dixons.

Yes I know that sounds like an oxymoron but I spoke to the guy there and he showed me Coral Reef Adventure on a 27 inch Logic TV and it lookes very good. Didn't mind me spending 20 minutes there compairing 720p picture on that to a 1080p running on a Sony all in one. I couldn't see that much difference but looking at the sony site I see the resolution of their all in one was only 1440 so was proberbly downsizeing.

This was being shown upstairs in the computer department, the tv departmant did not seam to know about it.

22. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +811
    The SAGEM DLP in John Lewis Oxford Street is also showing HD material from an NEC PC. Pretty good looking as well - though analogue PAL sources looked awful.

23. JayX

JayX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    definitely 1080p ? very few sets are capable of this, you sure it wasn't 1080i ?

24. whitebloodcell

whitebloodcell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ASK Electronics in Tottenham Court Road also have a High Def Satellite Connected to a Pioneer Plasma.

25. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +811
    If the display was LCD, Plasma or DLP related and displaying 1080 lines it has to have been progressive - only CRT displays (projectors and direct view) and a few other arcane systems (Eidophor etc.) are capable of native interlaced display.

It may have been displaying a 1080i source and converting to progressive (I don't think Sony have any CRT TVs with HDTV capable inputs on sale in the UK yet?) and the 1080i source may itself have been carrying progressively sourced content - i.e. 24p HD video or film - though a lot of HD demos are sourced from interlaced video as it has that realistic "through a window" feel!

26. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Sevenoaks in Oxford are just finishing their concept flat which is using HD Satellite on a 50" Pioneer plasma and a rather tasty projection setup too.

27. Kalab

Kalab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The source was a wma 1080p file the playback device was a Sony VCG-V2m (I've just been back to get another look) The picture looks better than the 720p on the other machine but I think some downscaling is happening as I don't think even Sony can get 1920 x 1024 on a 20 inch display.

28. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +811
    The 20" Apple Cinema display is 1680x1050 - which is pretty close to HD, whilst the 23" version is 1920x1200. (The 30" is 2560x1600) I'd expect Sony LCDs to be similar - though possibly not identical in resolution. 20" is a bit small for full-res HD - but given that HD-Cam (a common HD VTR format) is only 1440x1080 on-tape, 1680x1050 is pretty good going!

Apple displays are increasingly being used with HD-SDI -> DVI style converters in the broadcast industry as low-cost full-resolution HD monitors as a result. You can't use them in areas where colour judgement is required, but they are quite cost-effective for production-grade monitoring, as say a second "producer preview" screen in an edit suite.