1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WMV9 decoding on video cards, when?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Nic Rhodes, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Does anyone know when we are likely to get WMV9 appearing, in silicon, on computer video card. People have anounced silicon for DVD players, but what about video cards? If available it should really ease the CPU requirements big time.

Does anyone know what is happening?

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I think MS said that this has already happened as such, but for SD NOT HD. They are still expecting it to happen, 6 months or so I recon.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Cheers thanks Jeff

4. kevshed

kevshed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I know that some of the Silicon Vendors that currently support MPEG4 in other forms are already sampling WMV capable decoders.... Sigma being the most obvious.

the issue is cost.

WMV isnt that hungry in a modern PC unless you are doing HD - so the 'market demand' for such functionality in a graphics card form is relativly low compared to the demand for WMV9 in a dedicated DVD Player... where there is no CPU to compensate.

But to put that in perspective, remember that most people that are even talking about it are not the mainstream consumer..... and enthusiasts cater for a very small share of the market.

Of course, saying all that, the industry is trying to drive new usage models, particularly around PVR type use, with the PC handling multiple streams of transmission - here hardware WMV would make a lot of difference... lets see where the market takes us :)

Kev

5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
    including my employer.
    See :-http://www.analog.com/Analog_Root/static/promotions/myMedia/

I am not a DSP engineer (I a Linear applications engineer) so I am not going to comment any further.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO WM9 won't become interesting for many (most?) if and until HD starts becoming widespread and usable on devices other than internet-connected PCs which can get a license.

Some DVD players are just about (already?) available with WM9 support at SD, I don't see the use for such machines outside the same group of users who currently buy DivX/XVid-playing systems. Currently I see no commercial DVDs using this format for SD material.

You may say that PC-based silicon would be useful for downloadable material, but there's precious little of that at the moment either and again it's only really useful to have hardware-assist for HD.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    My interest is HD like the Terminator disc / demo microsoft have been knocking out. I have been looking at the top P4 speed proc but prefer the idea of a M processor ala Jeffs latest or on the video card

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've downloaded HD versions of "The Transporter" and "Fifth Element" and was amazed at the processor power required to play them.

What will interest me is how they get that much processing power into a domestic DVD player considering the heat-generation and cooling required for a 2Ghz+ P4 at present. While a dedicated decoder chip will probably not be as large or generate as much heat as a P4 it'll still run very hot compared to current-range decoders like the Sigma for example.