WMV to MPEG or AVI

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by protonix, Sep 27, 2004.

1. protonix

protonix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I have a wmv file that is 57mb, I had used programs to convert it to mpeg and avi they come out over 500mb files. I want to keep them small as before when in the wmv format. What programs can I use to convert the file but keep it a smaller size?

2. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Why do you want to convert WMP to mpeg or AVI? I dont think you will gain anything from doing this apart from having te ability to edit the footage.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    Converting a file from WMV to Mpeg-2 or AVI will increase the size of the file! WMV is a much higher compression format, but also lower quality. Therefore converting back to AVI etc will not improve the quality, but as mentioned will make it easier to edit the footage.

Mark.

4. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    I have alot of films in WMV format , ranging from 100/200 mb.
    The other day I coverted one to an avi format and the result was 8 gig :laugh:

I understand that I need to re encode them useing a programme called Virtual dub. The reason I wanted to covert fromn WMV to AVI is to allow the films to be viewed on my Palm PDA useing MMP Player.

5. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AVI is not a video format per se, but a wrapper which can contain many different levels and kinds of compression. There are loads of bits of software which can transcode between formats, but you'll need to fiddle with the compression settings to get what you want. Try http://www.video-converter.net/
    You may find it easier just to change to a PocketPC PDA!