WMV HD Disks - DVD How to play in UK

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by ayrshiredude, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Panasonic 42PX60 and have the US version of T2 which has the second disk containing the WMV HD version of the film. I have 2 problems.

1. When I install it and it connects to check the licence it will not allow me to continue because I am not in the correct region for the disk. How do you get round this.

2. I tried to play some WMV demo files I have downloaded however, the laptop is set at 1024 x 768 which is the correct resolution for the tv but when played back the images are not the correct format so everything looks squashed. The only picture format options in pc mode are 16x9 and 4x3. How can I play them back to look correct?

Thanks

2. chaparral

chaparral

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Set your laptop to output 1360x768 or 1280x720 ...this will give you the right aspect ratio for playing back movies on your 42" 1024x768 plasma...the same for photos etc

I output my PC to my pioneer 43" plasma at 1216x684 over HDMI..(strange res because of the overscan on the HDMI input..)

3. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    OR...set your laptop to run at 1024*768 (this IS 4:3 aspect but perfectly matches your TV's physical resolution) but then tell the player you are using not to keep aspect ratio...this way only your computer will do the scaling/deinterlacing and there would be no need for further scaling on your plasma...chaparral's advice requires double scaling (i.e. both in the computer AND in the display)...

ALSO be sure to run your computer at 60Hz if this is the playback speed of your T2 WMV...

Cheers

4. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info guys, but does anyone know how I get the WMV HD disk to play in the uk?

5. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK still cannot get the tv to play it at the correct aspect ratio. I cannot see anything in Media Player that allows me to change anything regarding the Aspect ratio. As i said before if I set the tv to 4X3 mode then the ratio is correct but when I use the TV to change to 16X9 (in pc mode it only gives 4X3 and 16X9) it just stretches the image horizontally and not vertically so it looks weird.

Any suggestions?

6. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    To get WMV HD disks to play you have to fool the system into thinking you are somewhere you are not.

Its relatively straight forward if you have broad band.

First do a google for public proxy servers in the US, and make a note of the IP address.

The set up your internet connection to use that proxy server.

Its trial and error and some do, some dont work. But it will eventually let you through. Once you have the licence it lasts 7 days.

7. mannyo

mannyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    to get then to play in 16:9 with the correct aspect ration, you need to set windows to a 16:9 display resolution. For WMV HD I guess that will be 1920x1080 or 1280x720.

8. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Well you should use PowerDVD or WinDVD as these allow for controlling the aspect ratio...anyway if this is too complicted do set your res to a 16:9 res on your PC (1366x768, 1280*720, 1920*1080)...this simply HAS to work correctly if you play the WMV video in full-screen mode and set the plasma to 16:9 mode...of course I hope you understand that T2, like many Hollywood productions is a 2.35:1 aspect ratio thus it's wider than 16:9 so you will always get black bars top and bottom, they are encoded into the 16:9 picture...you must look at recognizible shapes in the picture to tell if the aspect ratio is correct, not judge by whether it fills your 16:9 screen or not...

9. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +542
    Windows Media Player lets you change AR (independent of desktop resolution) too.

But it's well hidden.

Just go into Tools.Options.Devices. Click on Display in the list, then Properties Button and change the number until the oval looks like a circle on screen.

10. Kalos Geros

Kalos Geros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Microsoft's well known user-friendliness, right?:rolleyes:

11. choddo2006

choddo2006

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: