WMV DRM Removal for Windows 7

bjblackmore

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For Christmas we got a load of triple play Blu-rays (Blu-ray/DVD/Digital copy). I've copied the digital copies (DRM WMV) onto my laptop, so I can watch them, but I'd also like to copy them to my Asus Transformer Android tablet.

I've spent the best part of 2 hours this evening trying to find a (freeware) application that will remove DRM from WMV files. The 3 I tried (iSkysoft/Wondershare/Aimersoft) are all clones of each other, and appear to be released by the same company then rebranded, and are shareware so charge to remove DRM from the entire film, so I'd like to stay clear of them!

There are a few freeware apps that will remove DRM from WMVs (FreeMe2) but they will only work on Win XP. As I don't have Win XP any more, and am running Win 7 I'd like to try to find an application that will work.

Does anyone know of one? Any help/advice would be much appreciated!

Ben

P.S. for legal purposes, I'm in the UK, and removal of DRM is legal, as long as you own the film/music! :)

Last edited:
I guess I could, using something like WinX DVD Ripper. I just thought it would be easier to use the already supplied digital copies and save time ripping.

I've just setup WinXP Mode in my Win 7 PC to try and use the free DRM removal tools, but the DRM rights management only allows the digital media to be played/actived once, so I can't now get the DRM license on the WinXP Mode WMP to be able to remove the DRM! Grrr! Thawted at every turn!

Going to try ripping the DVDs now, as you suggested!

Ben

Hmm, looks like you have to own the full licensed version of WinX DVD Ripper (WinX DVD Ripper Platinum) to be able to rip the latest DVD that have more advanced copy protection. The free version complains about not being able to access hidden encrypted tracks.

Nothing is ever easy...

Have you tried DVDShrink to rip your DVD's? It is an old program so may not work with all DVD's but it is free :smashin:

Mark.

ps, UK law is antiquated and copying any copyright media, even for personal usage is still illegal. However the forum does allow limited talk on ripping of discs for personal usage only.

They have stated that they will change the laws to allow copying of media for personal use - but AFAIK it hasn't happened yet!

From your link:
People will be able to legally copy digital media for personal use as a result of important changes planned for UK copyright law.
and
Currently making personal copies of music and movies to use on different devices, known as format shifting, is a commonplace practice, despite being illegal.
my added bold for emphesis

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom