WMP in Windows 7 and tagging issue

cmaskelyne

Standard Member
Hoping someone may have experienced a similar problem. I have around 50000 MP3 tracks holding my entire CD collection. I have over time very carefully tagged each track including the album art. In iTunes this displays perfectly (as it also does in Tag&Rename and MP3Tag). In WMP (the one with Windows 7) loads of the tracks start appearing as unknown artists/album. I thought initially that it may be that the Album Artist was being picked up rather than just Artists so I copied the details from Artists to Album Artists.

This still did not make a difference. Interestingly this problem occurs if I add say the entire driver (we can call it D:\) at once or an individual letter (say D:\B). If however I go a level deeper (say D:\B\Beatles) the tags pick up correctly which seems really bizzare.

Just to complete the picture the all MP3 files are named in the same format which is (for example)

D:\B\Beatles, The\The Best Of The Beatles\Beatles, The - The Best Of The Beatles - 01 - Yellow Submarine.mp3

I thought also this might be a problem with the length of the track name but most longer file locations come through OK whilst some of the shorter file locations appear in the unknown artists.

I want to use WMP for my media centre in the lounge but this whole issue is really giving me a headache. Does anyone have any ideas? or has had the same problem? It is really difficult to find information on google as you get every other issue apart from this.

Many thanks if you can help.

cmaskelyne

Standard Member
Think I have cracked it. Looks like it might be the "Part of a Compilation" tag in Itunes. I also used MediaBridge to then "sync" WMP with Itunes and the combination seems to have done the trick.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom