WMC - Surprised

Craigy

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Recently got a new PC running Vista Premium 32 bit, now never had any interest in trying to figure out Media Centre.

So, my PC was turned on and I was playing pro evo 6, then I noticed my PC bringing up an icon saying my network had found another component running Media Centre, so I humoured it and went through the setup.

How easy???, a few clicks later and by pressing the media centre buttone on my 360 remote, I typed in the 8 digit code found on the 360 and voila!

Just been downloading 720p clips on my PC and it appears instantly on the 360, fantastic!

One question I have, is it possible for your 360 to see a DVD that is in your PC and stream that?

CDR

From memory, I dont think it is.

You could rip the DVD to HD and stream it that way, i'm planning on digitally storing all my DVD's on a couple of these, then streaming with the use of Transcode360

but foolishly me, bought a new PC with Vista Business and not Home or Ultimate (Ok i'll admit, i forgot to check!), so i'm waiting for the end of the month to downgrade to Vista Home Premium then i'll be back with MCE :clap:

ukkev2000

Recently got a new PC running Vista Premium 32 bit, now never had any interest in trying to figure out Media Centre.

Just been downloading 720p clips on my PC and it appears instantly on the 360, fantastic!

One question I have, is it possible for your 360 to see a DVD that is in your PC and stream that?

Media centre is a lot better than it looks!! Welcome to the secret Microsoft fan club - it's like fight club, you can't tell anyone you're in it :)

I guess you mean "play DVD images on Hard disc", else you would be putting the DVD in the Xbox360 to watch it :) I've no idea but I'm sure a million other posters will tell you how.

If you haven't already, I would really recommend getting a USB Freeview adaptor - make sure its compatible with WMC Vista - and plugging it into your TV arial. In WMC you tell it where you live with your postcode (you might have to work out which transmitter your roof arial is pointing at too).

After this, it should tune up and find all your freeview channels, then retrieve the next two weeks of TV Guide info for what you can watch.

For planning recordings, you type in something like "apprentice" and it will bring up all the shows on all the stations, including radio shows. You can do a much simpler search and it will pull up the "apprentice" and "youve been fired", set them to record the series and you're done.

I just forget when shows air and simply check my recorded tv when I have some free time to watch telly - always stock full of great telly.

My media centre PC is my only way I've got of watching telly - if it was annoying, flakey, and crashed all the time, I wouldn't do that - I'd use an ordinary PVR.

But it's really good - made me respec' M'soft a lot more.:thumbsup:

geomuss

rip dvd to hard drive using only the VOB files that contain the movie, grab yourself a copy of simple file joiner, use this to join your VOB files into one.

just name it ie say it was spiderman that you ripped, name your joined files spiderman.MPEG it will play beautifully on 360 with DD sound as well good luck :smashin:

D

Deleted member 92943

All this media center stuff sounds really nice but i was planning on getting a Mac. Unless i can sell this pc that i am on right now and get both:D

16to9

Media centre is a lot better than it looks!! Welcome to the secret Microsoft fan club - it's like fight club, you can't tell anyone you're in it :)

My media centre PC is my only way I've got of watching telly - if it was annoying, flakey, and crashed all the time, I wouldn't do that - I'd use an ordinary PVR.

But it's really good - made me respec' M'soft a lot more.:thumbsup:

My sentiments exactly. I'm a massive fan of MCE, and it's the only way I watch telly too. I had a play on a sky box tonight and that seems so clunky in comparison. (And as for Telewest stuff...)

For a MS product it's remarkably stable and easy to use - mind you, part of that may be because the PC isn't full of crap like a normal PC is. But the benefits that an HTPC that runs Bittorrent and the BBC iPlayer bring you you wouldn't believe - where most people download TV shows and watch them on a PC, I'm reclined on my sofa enjoying them properly!!

Best of all, you can get a fantastic picture when upscaled by the PC to 720p - assuming you can get a 1:1 pixel-mapping telly which operates at 50Hz! (I have :) ) And then, as has been said here, you can watch it all on your 360.

Vista will hopefully widen MCE use so more people appreciate its strengths.

Gary D

Distinguished Member
i've been using MCE for a over a year now. Simply stunning. even if i stopped playing games i'd still keep my 360 purely for MCE (and they call i PS3 a media hub ha ha )

Gary

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom