WM5/6, 3G WiFi and GPS phone?

jaymz

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to replace my N73 for a new phone and sell my PDA to consolidate into one device.

I there require the following functionality;

Windows Mobile pref 6 but 5 is OK
GPRS and 3G for paid data connectivity
WiFi for free data connectivity
Inbuilt GPs for TomTom Sat Nav
Slide out QWERTY keyboard

HTC models appear to have the following functionality;

S710 is WM6 but does not have GPS or 3G
TyTN has 3G but no GPS and is WM5
P3300 has GPS but no keyboard or 3G and is WM5

i have considered the Nokia N95 but i think i want to go away fro mthe Smartphone interface (my previous Nokia was 3230).

Any suggestions to fulfill ALL my requirements?

my pda? qtek 9000 AKA mda pro/ eda exec/spv m5000

offers all bar WM6, and gps, but a simple bluetooth gps unit covers that and utilises its own battery not draining an allready stressed pda battery?

and as for WM6, well you can update your rom via xda developers to use WM6 as i am on mine,
so i have 3g, wifi, gprs satnav and gps WM6 prob best qwerty keyboard on any pda

my pda? qtek 9000 AKA mda pro/ eda exec/spv m5000

offers all bar WM6, and gps, but a simple bluetooth gps unit covers that and utilises its own battery not draining an allready stressed pda battery?

and as for WM6, well you can update your rom via xda developers to use WM6 as i am on mine,
so i have 3g, wifi, gprs satnav and gps WM6 prob best qwerty keyboard on any pda

I am aware of that but really wanted in built GPS (at the mo anyway). Thinking about it may a £30 bluetooth GPS is going to be a lot cheaper than inbuilt anyway...........

I thought all of the wm6 rom had been pulled from xda developers by M$ :thumbsdow

they available from memebers

Glofiish X500 or even better for you the X800 which should be launched soon:

http://www.etencorp.com/PressCenter/press.php?pid=123&tid=2

http://msmobiles.com/news.php/6175.html

Although it lacks the keyboard it does have HSPDA or 3.5G, I did list the other phones they make but they appear to have EDGE instead of 3G connection.
You can also run tomtom on them as a work collegue has it on his X500, very very sexy looking machines. Much nicer then HTC's, although the one you pointed to looks nice.

The HTC P4550 (Kaiser) ticks all the boxes mate :)

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=733

Not sure which networks will have it, but most should do, or when it's due out.

Thanks but i prefer the HTC 730 as i do not want a touch screen phone - heard to many nightmares with broken screens, one of our directors broke a Xda Orbit in less than two weeks are sitting down with it in his front pocket!!

My MDA has had loads of abuse for over a year, including being dropped several times, and the screen is fine. You don't need to worry about touch screens, just use a screen protector to avoid scratches.

It's worth it having a touch screen. The main reason for me in internet; no touch screen is like having no mouse on your PC, endless scrolling between link.

Also, it's great in the car; I use TomTom and the amazing Conduits Pocket Player. i could not use either while driving and having it in a dash holder without a touch screen.

My MDA has had loads of abuse for over a year, including being dropped several times, and the screen is fine. You don't need to worry about touch screens, just use a screen protector to avoid scratches.

It's worth it having a touch screen. The main reason for me in internet; no touch screen is like having no mouse on your PC, endless scrolling between link.

Also, it's great in the car; I use TomTom and the amazing Conduits Pocket Player. i could not use either while driving and having it in a dash holder without a touch screen.

Valid points about Internet and TomTom - back to the drawing board :suicide:

If you can't find one you like, then either wait a year as the market I think will be flooded by then or get a seperate bluetooth GPS. I have a P990I with TomTom for my car and use a Bluenext GPS module that cost about £40 with vat and post, you can get them cheaper on Ebay if you look.
I would say it saves the phones battery having a seperate GPS module but using the backlight and bluetooth for 30 mins for example does a good draining job so you have to plug the phone in anyway :(

Still the solution works an absolute treat and having GPS on the phone is one of my best gadgets, something that is actually useful.

Yep, touch screen it's pretty much essential for satnav. Trying to browse the internet on my N95 after using my MDA for a while is like having my teeth pulled out. I would sacrifice 3G and QWERTY keyboard before the touch screen.

You could just get a decent case. I don't bother though, my MDA is battered but the screen is perfect (just replace the screen protector every few months). Whatever you do, don't get one of those ones you wear on your belt. Not unless you wear your shirt tucked into your far too short and tight (revealing your white socks) chinos, maybe with a bum bag, and are not bothered about ever getting a girlfriend. They don't make people look like techo savvy businessmen, they make people look like complete tits :lol:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom