• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

witOnkyo 607 - what 7.1 speakers are best h this reciever?

lord hanzo

Standard Member
hey this is my first time on this forum hopefully someone can helpme it will be well preciated.

I want to purchase the onkyo 607 av reciever and want to know the best possible 7.1 speeker system that will go well with this. my bugdet for speakers is £300 but i am open to better suggestions but please try to keep in my bugdet.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
A popular speaker package with Onkyos is the Tannoy SFX. This is a 5.1 system but you can buy the another 2 speakers to make it 7.1.
To be honest £300 is not a huge budget for peakers and only really gets you budget ones. It may be better to concentrate on getting a 5.1 system instead of stretching to 7.1. This way you will get better speakers for your limited budget and imho a better end result. For a little over your budget I would look to get a 5.1 system based around the QA Accoustic 1010i speakers. The 1010i set is £350 but these are hard to source now so may need to buy them separately.

lord hanzo

Standard Member
thanx for the advice PSM1. i will think bout it some more. what do u think of the onkyo 5.1 speaker package which is a little cheaper than the tannoys. they have better wattage handling. deos it make a difrence with more wattage to speekers?

and do u think they will come with good speeker wires or would i have to buy my own speeker wire if so which do u recommend.

also if you recommended 5.1 sould i think about getting the onkyo 507 or the 577 av receiver.

thanxs again in advance.

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The 577 has a few extra features over the 507 (not just the extra 2 channels). If you really want to go 7.1 or the extra features on the 577 are useful to you then I would get it. Other than that it is not worth it since it will sound the same as the 507. If looking at the 577 I would also look at the Sony 800 or Yamaha 565.
I would not worry about the wattage of speakers. It is important they are not too mismatched between speakers and reciever but these will all be fine with these speakers. More important is the sensitivity and frequency response (as well as quality of sub etc).
I have not heard the Onkyo speakers but they are cheap so I would not expect too much in terms of quality. Also you would expect them to be a good match to Onkyo recievers but at least one thread on here suggests they are a bright sounding speaker so may not be the best match to Onkyo recievers!! You really need to go and demo the 2 sets if possible to see if you can hear a difference and if the extra is worth it to you.
The speaker cable supplied will not be great and will probably be fairly thin. Though given the size/budget of the speakers it should be sufficient. If you are going to replace it the go for 2.5mm copper cable and pay no more than £1-£2 a metre (even less is possible and perfectly acceptable).

Last edited:

lord hanzo

Standard Member
thanx again for the advice psm1. my previous post also had a question bout wires i.e. do u think they will come with good speeker wires or would i have to buy my own speaker wire if i want to get the most out of the speakers? what speaker wire do u recommend. i also want to get hdmi cables and optical cables which would you recommend would be best. company wise also.

thanx.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom