Witnessed a minor RTA

bluedroog

Was on my way home tonight when I witnessed a hackney carriage reverse in to a park motorbike, I was about 30 meters always and clearly heard a loud noise of the motorbike being damaged. No way the driver Didn't hear.

So the cab drove off, I took a picture on my phone but the plate isn't clear, far from in fact. However a friend said they memorised it and I took a note.

I took pictures of the damaged to the bike and have vague pictures of the cab plus a note of the cab.

What should I do?

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Are the scenarios really that difficult to sort out? Either report it to the police or ignore it and carry on with your day. Not really sure what other options there are.

MC77

There is a third option which I'm surprised none of you have thought of and that is go vigilante.

Step 1 is to don every piece of Lycra you can get yours hands on and get a pair of your wife's tights in your head and then go Batman on their ass.

bluedroog

It may seem daft but I doubt the police would bother to do anything, I wonderd if I found contact the bike owner through the dvla or something?

John7

The Police WILL do something as the driver committed a criminal offence if he did not report or leave details. Don't expect to get any info out of the DVLA unless you are a paying registered business!

D

Deleted member 498601

I would have left a note on the motorbike, telling him that I witnessed the cab damaging his bike, and leaving my phone number. It's then up to the owner of the bike to worry about whether he wants to pursue it further or not.

mjn

Distinguished Member
As above, leave a note on the bike, with your contact details. If and when they contact you, give him/her the cab details.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Report it to the police - next time they may leave the scene of an accident (an offence in itself) where someone is injured.

wack

6 points plus a huge fine will make him think twice about doing it again, there's too many people that think it's fine to damage a car and drive off as long as nobody sees

As a taxi driver it's fairly likely he'll find it difficult to get insured with 6 points for a drive away

fudge him up, he deserves it

D

Deleted member 498601

6 points plus a huge fine will make him think twice about doing it again, there's too many people that think it's fine to damage a car and drive off as long as nobody sees

As a taxi driver it's fairly likely he'll find it difficult to get insured with 6 points for a drive away

**** him up, he deserves it

Last year, I was working at the side of the road (I'm not a call-girl), and some numpty managed to smash my mirror off of my bright white van, which had traffic cones around it, and a flashing amber beacon on the roof. As I heard the almighty bang, I turned to see a Nissan Micra driving off. I managed to get the plate, and decided that I'd wait for 10 minutes or so, to give them time to return to the scene of an accident, before I rang the police.
I rang the police, and passed on all details of the incident, I then had to go to my local police station when I returned home that evening, and spend around 45 minutes filling out a form with the receptionist.
The police did investigate, and what they told me astonished, and annoyed me. Although I had assumed that it was an old coffin dodger that had struck my vehicle and driven off (I wrongly made this assumption based on car model, colour, and lack of observation/ realisation), it was in fact a young girl. This girl did know that she had struck my vehicle, but, according to the police officer I spoke to, she had some sort of 'mental condition', which meant that although she knew exactly what she had done, she didn't have the ability to rationalise her actions, and to act accordingly, so instead she drove off (I was not given the name of this condition). When I was told this by the police, I told them that whilst I appreciate that this young girl needs to get around, if she has this sort of condition, then surely it's obvious to people that work in road safety that she should not be behind the wheel of a car on her own. The police could not see why it was 'obvious' at all. I then laid out a very similar scenario to my own incident, but instead of a van's wing mirror being smashed into a thousand peices, I asked the police officer to imagine that it was a toddlers skull that was smashed instead. I was told that 'that's not what happened, so no further action will be taken'...

She did not pay for the damage to my van, my company did after speaking to the police...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom