1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Without A Trace

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by mykl1971, Jan 14, 2004.

1. mykl1971

mykl1971
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Watched this new series on Channel 4 on Monday night - very enjoyable.

Interesting to note though that this "first" episode was in fact episode 2 of the series and next week's episode in number 5 - wonder why out of sequence :confused:

2. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    It was alright, but it had that over-the-top acting which gets on my nerves (similar to CSI).
    I'll give it another go next week.

3. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Being a fan of C.S.I. I was looking forward to this.

I'm not too sold on the characters yet - and I have a particular problem with always seeing 'John Loengard' when I watch Eric Close in anything now - but I quite enjoyed it and will watch next week.

I had no idea, though, that the scheduling was all out of sequence. No introductory episode #1 or even #0? So what happened to the pilot? Was it really that bad?!

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    #1 was the pilot. No idea why it is skipping to 5

I was disappointed tbh. I will watch next week and if it doesn't improve ditch it.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

According to....

http://www.tvtome.com/WithoutaTrace/season1.html#ep1

.. Channel 4 started with Episode 2 "Birthday Boy". Next weeks episode appears to be number 5 in the schedules, despite the show itself advertising episode 3! God knows what the hell Channel 4 are doing, but I guess seeing as they seem to enjoy screwing with US TV shows (Oz, NYPD Blue, Party Of Five, The Sopranos, etc, etc), then it's not implausable that they are going to mess around with this show as well!

Complain to Channel 4 please!

Pooch

ADDENDUM: It's not good news at all folks! Channel 4 have decided (in all their wisdom) to select 13 random episodes for British viewers to see, because they don't have room in their schedules to run all 22 episodes from Season 1, in the correct order. This means a) there'll be no character continuity; b) long, cross-episode plotlines will be jettisoned, and c) we don't even get to see the first 13 episodes, but a random selection.

If you want to complain, (and I hope you do), please do/visit any of the following:

1) Phone them on 0207-396-4444 and ask for the Duty Office.

2) Fill-in the online complaints form at:
    http://www.channel4.com/about_c4/comments/tv_enquiries.cfm
    (This takes upto 6 WEEKS for a response!!! :mad: )

3) Write to them at: Viewer Enquiries, Channel 4 Television, 124 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 2TX

4) Visit the specific thread at:
    http://community.channel4.com/6/ubb...=3696002921&m=180608394&r=506602405#506602405

Please, please DO complain! We can't let this TV station keep whizzing on us, from such a great height! :thumbsdow

6. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Damn! :(

I watched the "second" episode last night and thought it was superb.

I hope they'll be packaging DVD box sets of this...

7. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Channel 4 are really bluggering-up this show!

On Jan 12th, the first episode was aired, but was #2 in the run.
    On Jan 19th, the next episode aired, was #5 in the run.
    On the 26th, C4 will be showing episode #11.
    The following week, on February 2nd, we'll be going back in time, to episode 10!

C4 suck! This show is going to fail very quickly, purely because of the urine-poor treatment it is getting in the UK! Why did they bother to start showing it at all, if this is how they are going to air it? Worse still, there are recurring and continuing plotlines in some of the episodes, ala "NYPD Blue", which start in one episode, but don't get concluded until later in the series. With what C4 are doing, we're going to see the characters being reprimanded for breaking the FBI rules, before we get to even see what they did, or why! Sheesh! C4 make me :mad:!!!!

Oh, and to top things off, on Thursday 29th Jan, "NYPD Blue" is being pushed back to an even later time slot, of 00:10 hours! Yep, after just one episode, they've already messing about with the timeslot! Thanks C4, you muppets!! :mad: :mad:

Pooch

8. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    its easier to d/l em watch em in correct order

9. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :D

you have to admire C4's stupidity

I didn't watch the 2nd I have it set to record on friday

Who makes the show FOX? If so hopefully it will be on FX

10. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Just watched the second, or should I say the fifth :D , thought it better than the first, oops, mean the second. :zonked:
    This show has a good cast, it has potential, so far not sure how interesting it will be week to week, but definitely giving it a go.
    Good trouser flapping soundtrack too.

Channel 4 is the dumbest channel, they messed up Angel, NYPD Blue, countless others, too many DOGS, especially on E4, and too much absolute crud like Big Brother.
    No doubt they will mess up ER and Sex And The City next. :rolleyes:

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Just to add insult-to-injury, "Without A Trace" has just gained a Golden Globe 2004 award, for Best Actor In A TV Drama Series, for Anthony LaPaglia's role in the show!

Thanks, Channel Four! Thanks a bundle, you muppets! :mad:

Pooch

12. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why does that add insult to injury?

just because it gets a nomination doesn't mean it is any good.

The 2nd (or rather 5th) wasn't much better than the 1st (2nd) IMO. I will give it one final try this Friday. Everybody loves Raymond seems to win almost every comedy award at the globes and to be quite frank I have seen funnier tadpoles

I don't understand why they don't show every episode on E4 and then select the 13 for C4.

13. Chrissywis

Chrissywis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you noticed that ER has moved from 21.00 to 22.00, I hope this isn't the beginning of an inexorable slide into obscurity.

14. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Bobbles,

You asked: "why does that add insult to injury? just because it gets a nomination doesn't mean it is any good."

Whilst I can undestand what you say, when a show/film wins an award, that it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good production, I have to say, that I personally think that C4 deserve to give British viewers a chance to make the decision for ourselves, using all the evidence - or in this case, viewing all 22 episodes, or at least the first 13 in the correct episodic order - to see if we think it really is worth the award, or not.

It bugs me, big-time, when C4, (the allegedly innovative British TV station) can treat a brand new show like this, trailer it like mad to get people watching, and then treat it like dog waste!

Imagine if they had decided the same for "ER", "NYPD Blue", "The Sopranos", or even "Six Feet Under"?! Or maybe, if Five, had done the same to "CSI" or "Boomtown", or even "The Shield"! People would be absolutely livid!

And what if, the BBC decided they'd buy "24"., but only show 13 random episodes of that?! Or, god forbid, British Terrestrial TV getting the rights to Premier Division Football, but only showing 13 matches, purely at random, in no particular order?! There would be a national outcry!

If a channel has no intention of transmitting something in the way it was meant to be shown, then for goodness sake, don't blinking well buy the rights to air it!

Pooch

15. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh don't get me wrong it is an amazingly stupid decision.

It isn't really fair to compare it to 24 though as the episodes can pretty much be watched as 22 individual main plots. Whereas with 24 it is one main plot split into the 24 episodes.

I have not been too impressed with most of the new shows tbh

hopefully The Handler will grow on me. I'm not convinced about this one though. Cold case looks promising.

16. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought episode ??? with the two girls was pretty good. This show has potential afterall

17. mykl1971

mykl1971
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a laugh at the continuity announcer before last night's episode. He proudly boasted something like:

"Anthony LaPaglia recently won a Golden Globe for his role in Without A Trace - only the best on Channel 4"

They may well show "the best" but they sure know how to mess it up.

18. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I agree with PearlJam. Channel 4 really know how to pick their prime cock-up moments, utilising schedulers who can't schedule anything from the US properly; and continuity announcers, who wouldn't recognise continuity if it clobbered them round the head, and tattoed the words "CONTINUITY - Please Pay Attention!" on their foreheads! :mad:

Still. I do like the show, and I have had an e-mail from C4 saying they may (and only may) look into buying the remaining 9 episodes to show at a later date. However, all this means is that if we do ever get to see those "missing" episodes, I expect them to be shown out of order too, and in the middle of the night, without the slightest announcement about when they're to be shown. :mad:

Pooch

19. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it depends on the ratings and ad revenue

20. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    i wish channel 5 or sky was showing the seris they would show the entire seris with all the episodes in order

why didn't channel 5 or sky pick it up? as the show is over a year old now we are watching seris 1 first aired in the US in september 2002. they have almost finished seris 2 in the US

21. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    love the show brilliant. right up there with CSI and i much prefer it to cold case or the handler

carn't wait for till to come out on dvd boxset as then i can watch all the episodes in order

when was it on E4?
    does anybody know when it is rumered to be released on dvd?

22. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Miller,

It's only on E4, four days after its Channel 4 transmission, as a weekly repeat. So, in essence, you can either watch it for free, four days earlier and without a DOG on screen on C4, or watch it four days later, with a DOG and other on-screen bumff, and pay for the privilidge as well on E4!

Yep, Channel 4 certainly know their business plans! :rotfl:

Pooch

23. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bet whoever made the decision not to buy the entire series has been given a slap. I can only imagine the price has sky rocketed now it has won at the globes.

I really enjoyed Cold Case and although I am coming round to this series I don't think it comes close to CSI. However, I certainly think it is one of the better new shows that has started this year.

24. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    i'm probably going to any some people now but without a trace is my favorate. CSI a very close second. CSI miami third dont rearly rate the rest

25. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any you mean annoy???

we are all intitled to an opinion, if we all agreed life would be very dull.

I prefer miami to original. Bit early to say about without a trace, it is only 4/5 episodes in. Equally to write of cold case after one episode is a bit harsh.

26. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    this show just gets better and better. i carnt beleve we miss out on 10 episodes of the first seris (stupid channel 4) in the states they are almost at the end of seris 2!!!

i wish sky or channel 5 had picked it up they would have shown it properly, in order, all episodes. and we would be watching seris 2 by now.

why didn't they?

27. krg

krg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm hoping they have the sense to put out a boxed-set DVD release.

28. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +385
    4 more episodes to go 2 on monday and 2 more the monday after that. then all we have to do is wait for the dvd boxset so we can see the entire 1st series.

i wonder when we will get to see series 2 ? and will we get to see all of it?

29. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +286
    Does anyone know which episodes are missing? It'd be interesting to see where the holes are throughout the series and see if I can plug them somehow..........:blush:

30. mykl1971

mykl1971
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well we've definitely had more than 13 episodes now.

Click here to see a list of episodes from both seasons.