Question With what to fill the cavity of the plasterboard (drywall) ?

senzaparole

Hi, guys,

Soon I will start building a plasterboard ceiling that will house 4 Atmos speakers.
I still have to consider whether to fit the speakers into the plasterboard (drywall) or apply them when the job is finished because the speakers that I have chosen, although they do not have the bass reflex, are not born to be inserted in the plasterboard.

https://www.xtz.se/files/support/s2-atmosphere/s2-atmosphere_ManualBrochure2_3.pdf

I wonder what to fill the void inside the plasterboard with so as not have problems with the sound of the future 5.1.4 system ..

Harkon321

I wonder what to fill the void inside the plasterboard with so as not have problems with the sound of the future 5.1.4 system ..
Can you explain what you mean by this? DO you mean stopping room transfer to other rooms or something else?

Harkon321

And why are you trying to put on ceiling speakers in to the ceiling? Surely you fit those on to the ceiling or you should buy proper in ceiling speakers (ideally with a closed back)?

Last edited:

senzaparole

Hi Harcon,

my goal is to stop the noise in my room. I would like to avoid disturbing the family that lives above me without spending a lot of money ..

the Xtz S2 speaker is closed, it has no bass reflex. The S2 diffuser is a diffuser also designed to be mounted on the ceiling but not recessed into the plasterboard

Harkon321

If you're set on cutting a hole in your ceiling you need to build a box behind it. Ideally MDF or similar and then plasterboard inside that. Can also add insulation in the box. Insulation on its own will do nothing.

BriD

You *HAVE* to build a sealed plasterboard box around them as you're cutting a hole in your ceiling. The plasterboard has fire protection whereas your speaker does not. Since it's flats etc you'll be voiding all your insurances and it'll be against all regs.

If you've not bought the XTZs then I'd personally not use those, buy a round ceiling speaker and you can then just use a 'hoody' which is a fireproof blanket designed to go around a ceiling speaker (but won't work with the XTZs.

Harkon321

You *HAVE* to build a sealed plasterboard box around them as you're cutting a hole in your ceiling. The plasterboard has fire protection whereas your speaker does not. Since it's flats etc you'll be voiding all your insurances and it'll be against all regs.

If you've not bought the XTZs then I'd personally not use those, buy a round ceiling speaker and you can then just use a 'hoody' which is a fireproof blanket designed to go around a ceiling speaker (but won't work with the XTZs.
Hoody will meet Fire Regs but will do very little to stop sound. I fitted two in my room.

senzaparole

Hello guys!

I don't understand because S2 speakers are not suitable for ceiling mounting. The manufacturer in the following image clearly shows that the S2 speakers can be mounted on the ceiling. Furthermore, the S2s are closed speakers

BriD

@senzaparole It will technically work.

However, if you have a fire and it goes straight up through your speaker or even through a badly made back box and kills the lovely family upstairs, it'll be you on the line.

I'd not even cut holes in the ceiling personally, I'd paint them white and mount them on ceiling rather than in ceiling.

senzaparole

I never want a fire to happen.

so I have two possibilities:

1. I mount the S2s on the ceiling completely outside the plasterboard wall

2. I mount the S2 partially embedded in the plasterboard but wrapped in a fireproof material such as glass wool.

Koipin

On the ceiling is going to be so much less hassle. Is there an existing ceiling above the one you are putting in?

senzaparole

I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor. There are 5 floors.
I currently have a normal plastered ceiling.
I need to build a plasterboard ceiling for:

1. elimination of the chandelier
2. insert LED spotlights into the plasterboard
3. hide the cables of the atmos speakers in the plasterboard

BriD

I live in an apartment on the 3rd floor. There are 5 floors.
I currently have a normal plastered ceiling.
I need to build a plasterboard ceiling for:

1. elimination of the chandelier
2. insert LED spotlights into the plasterboard
3. hide the cables of the atmos speakers in the plasterboard

Ah! Ok... so that's different. If existing ceiling is left intact then you have no worries. Just create false ceiling below with the S2s embedded in it. :)

Koipin

Thats better. Maybe mount a 600 x 600 piece of acoustic plasterboard on the existing and then mount the S2s onto that.

senzaparole

I'm glad it's better.

So if I leave the original ceiling intact is it indifferent to mount the diffusers on the false ceiling inside the plasterboard or completely outside the plasterboard?
Don't I risk creating fires anymore?

Koipin

I'm glad it's better.

So if I leave the original ceiling intact is it indifferent to mount the diffusers on the false ceiling inside the plasterboard or completely outside the plasterboard?
Don't I risk creating fires anymore?
Yeah, You will be no worse off as long as you don't penetrate the existing firebreak. Having said that, a little bit of extra acoustic protection is good.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom