With what should I replace

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rushal, Mar 1, 2013.

1. rushal

rushal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V1065 but have recently purchased a Philips 3D TV. Everything is connected up and I am able to get 3D by passing the sound to the receiver and HDMI directly from each unit to the TV as most of you know the RX-V1065 doesn't do 3D passthru.

Im happy with this setup but can't help thinking I should now sell the RX-V1065 and replace it with a 3D capable receiver. So, anyone recommend which Yamaha receiver I should purchase to replace it?

Im aware that unless I look at something like the RX-A1010 then I will actually be taking a step backwards, but to be honest the receiver is only used in a 5.1 configuration to watch films. Very rarely do we listen to music unless its on SKY. I would still like to keep the option of a 7.1 setup in future so have been looking at a RX-V673 but in the back of my mind I keep thinking about either the RX-671 or RX-771?

Both have very similar specs and my max budget is £400 - £450 and both of these older models come in well under this price, but what would I gain in getting the newer model? As mentioned we only use it for watching HD broadcasts and films, we don't have any other fancy stuff like iPhones/iPods etc etc.

I'd love to have the RX-V1010 but I just can't justify the xtra £100 it would cost for what is essentially only being used to watch films.

So, if it were your £400 - £450, which would you go for? Is the extra worth it on the RX-V771 over the RX-v671, or would I be better biting the bullet and going for the RX-V673? Indeed would something like the RX-V473 or even the RX-V373 satisfy what we are after?

Cheers

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  2. rushal

rushal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh if it helps in the desicion, I have the following:

Philips 47PFL6007 3D TV
    Sky HD+ (1TB)
    Playstation 3
    Raspberry PI acting as Home Media Centre

Modaunt Short MS-302 all round with a MS-304 centre and Vibe Alpha 1 subwoofer (I had the MS-309i subwoofer but it never worked properly)

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    Just because you do not listen to much music does not mean you will not get the benefit from a 1010 and it also does not mean you will not notice a drop in sound quality. A better amp will have better sound separation and steering both which are very important for movies (as well as music). Hence I would definately not recommend going for a 373 or 473. I would also go and listen to a 673 to ensure you are happy with the sound quality it delivers.

4. rushal

rushal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Thanks for you reply. You have said exactly what I was thinking, not to bother with either the 373 or 473, instead look at the 673. However, would I get more for my money by looking at a 671 or even a 771 instead? I see the 671 is a respected receiver but there isn't that many reviews for the 771 around but I can pick one up for £379?

Of course Yamaha have just announced this years models and maybe its worth me waiting to see what prices the 673 or 773 will go for in the near future.

Im quite happy to go for an older model like the 671.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,437
    They are all OK receivers with the 671 being very similar sound quality to the 673 so you can take the 673 review and apply it to the 671 in terms of sound quality. Again they are all below your current receiver so go and listen to one first to ensure you are happy with the sound quality.