With this setup - is an AV receiver needed?

kimmetje

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Looking for advice as to whether I need to acquire an Onkyo SR-309 for this setup or not.

Essentially I want to have a dual-purpose setup involving main PC, secondary space for digital cable, and DVD playing.

These are the components being considered:

Philips Moda 248C3LHSB 24" screen (this has 2 hdmi inputs and 1 hdmi audio output)

The PC also has an HDMI output and so does the cable digital decoder.

There is also a DVD player but I do not think it has HDMI outputs.

The question is - based on this setup, do I need to have an AV receiver to manage the sound and image output between all these components, or can one of the above components deal with this?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

Best regards,

how are you getting sound does the monitor have speakers?

Thanks for the quick response!

The monitor doesn't have built-in speakers, so looks like I'd need to get speakers externally.

I guess either through multi-media speakers like these from Philips or I could get dedicated ones.

My only fear is that if I go for multimedia speakers that they would be incompatible for use for the other-half of the functionality I intend to have for space (DVD / TV)?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
if you went 2.1 then you could buy various switchers to control the system for a few pounds but for surround sound then a receiver is a must.

I wouldn't be going for a surround sound system. I don't think it would be worth the expense. I'm curious about the switchers though, what do they do?

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed look at this - that seems like a very complex solution indeed!

I understand the first part.

Can I check with you on RCA bit - what its use is? Will that work for a PC?

Last edited:
if the speaker system has the 3.5mm green line you need

3.5mm Stereo Socket to 2 x RCA/Phono Plugs 0.2M Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

then the rca into something like

3 Port AV Audio RCA Phono Selector Switch: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

and something like this to handle the picture,plus a few hdmi cables

Neet® - 3 Port HDMI AUTO SWITCH 3x1 Mini Hub Box 1080p: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

then use simple phono to other equipment but you have the switch handy .

Also would that system be as performant as simply getting an AV receiver to manage the job?

rca is just phono,or the red/white plugs,my bad for changing names,if you want to keep spend low you could do it for about £20,not including speakers,plus it wont be remote.

AAAH okay - I think I understand what's going on now.

So you have the HDMI switcher to handle the graphics output of the different components connected to the computer screen. This is the video part.

Then you have a different switcher to handle the audio output part of the different components connected to the speakers. This is the graphics part.

Essentially you have two parallel switching situations going on. There isn't anything which brings both into one neat little box?

My budget could comfortably stretch to an AV receiver and a set of speakers if need be. It was more to see if there was a more elegant way to do it.

I'm a bit worried with the scenario here we'll end up with a mess of wires whereas with an AV receiver I just had 3-4 HDMI wires heading to one spot.

your right it's not elegant at all just cheap,maybe the receiver you mention with something like the jamo 101 system,better to get it right first time :)

Yeah, I wish there was a solution in between a full-scale AV-receiver and the low-budget solution that could do the trick - but I think it's going to be one of the above two.

It feels like the AV receiver will probably be overkill for the purpose, but certainly will be the cleanest!

Thanks for the tip on the Jamo. I checked locally and they don't seem to come too cheap - are they cheap in the UK?

I have another open thread regarding some speaker choices - Hesitating between 99 pound Mission MX-S or Tannoy Mercury VR speakers.

Last edited:
it seems a shame if your going to spend on a 5.1 receiver not to match it,the bookshelves you mention have no sub,hence my suggestion of the jamo 101hcs a complete 5.1 system for around double the price of the speakers you mention.

That I agree :) - I'm already stretching the immediately available budget but no one ever said I couldn't replace them whenever I find several hundred euros laying around not doing anything!

it seems a shame if your going to spend on a 5.1 receiver not to match it,the bookshelves you mention have no sub,hence my suggestion of the jamo 101hcs a complete 5.1 system for around double the price of the speakers you mention.

Thanks Betelgeus again for your help.

I stumbled on a special offer for a Onkyo HT-S5405 setup and went for it Onkyo HT-S5405 noir (HTS5405B) : achat / vente Ensemble home cinéma sur ldlc.com.

It was nearly the same price as the cheapest Onkyo SR-309 and the hi-fi speakers I was thinking of getting.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom