With the release of blu ray and HV DVD's - whats the meaning of HD Ready???

Standard Member
Hi
Silly Question???? please excuse me if this is daft??

With the release of blu-ray DVD's - does this mean that HD ready equipment is obsolete???

Will you need unique equipment to view the blu-ray dvd's???

I've got the IN76 projector which is HD ready, bought an HD ready 32 inch Samsung TV, are we saying that there will now be a need for a new projector to come into the market specifically for blu-ray????

Any comments???

Thanks in advance

sbowler

Equipment that is HD ready can accept a signal from a HD source and scale it to fit the viewing device be it TV or PJ, it may not display a HD image but will be compatable with HD players.

noshoulders

Novice Member
you're getting your sources and video components mixed up.

hd dvd players and blu-ray players are 'sources'.

Your HD ready TV is a video component and will display anything HD your source(s) can output.

Avi

Distinguished Member
HD Ready displays are compatible with 720p and 1080i source signals at 50hz and 60hz. They must also have an HDCP compliant HDMI input. However there is a difference between being "ready" to accept the signal and displaying sources such as HD DVD or Blu-ray at full 1920x1080 resolution. HD Ready displays come in different resolution such as 1024x720, 1024x768, 1024x1024, 1366x768 etc and non of these can display the the native res of the sources mentioned but they will down scale the resolution and produce an image.

AVI

Standard Member
Hi All
I appreciate all of your responses and thank all of you for the help...Sorry but not hot on this subject - getting a bit confused with blu-ray - hd ready etc...

Why could they not leave it at HD Ready!!!!

Standard Member
HD Ready displays are compatible with 720p and 1080i source signals at 50hz and 60hz. They must also have an HDCP compliant HDMI input. However there is a difference between being "ready" to accept the signal and displaying sources such as HD DVD or Blu-ray at full 1920x1080 resolution. HD Ready displays come in different resolution such as 1024x720, 1024x768, 1024x1024, 1366x768 etc and non of these can display the the native res of the sources mentioned but they will down scale the resolution and produce an image.

AVI

How does the Sky HD work then??? does this display at full 1920 x 1080 or down scales?

Hi All
I appreciate all of your responses and thank all of you for the help...Sorry but not hot on this subject - getting a bit confused with blu-ray - hd ready etc...

Why could they not leave it at HD Ready!!!!

HD Ready means your screen is ready for Blue-Ray, and HD-DVD.. but you still need to buy one of them.

Avi

Distinguished Member
How does the Sky HD work then??? does this display at full 1920 x 1080 or down scales?

Sky HD can send a 720p or 1080i signal depending on the setting. The maximum resolution at 1080i is 1920x1080. If you have a native 1920x1080 display this is res you will see. Bear in mind that it's possible to upscale DVD, TV etc to 1080 but that's no guarantee of quality. With HD DVD and Blu-ray the disc is encoded at a native res of 1920x1080 rather than upscaled.

AVI

MAW

Banned
Newer Blu ray and HD-DVD players will output at 1080 progressive, rather than the interlaced you get from sky, upscaling players and current HD disc players. Hardly any displays can actually accept this, so the HD ready spec will need revising at some point. Some of the culprits in the signal department are 1920/1080 displays, which is embarrasingly short sighted of them.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello 682194

Oddly enough 'HD Ready' was invented to try and demystify some of this jargon :)

Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD are two competing pre recorded high definition media formats.

HD is a catch all term used by many folk to describe video signals with a higher 'resolution' than was previously used for broadcast and pre recorded media.

There are approx 18 (I think) recognised high definition video signal formats - which gives broadcasters and pre recorded media and Display hardware manufacturers plenty of scope for producing non compatible hardware.

As high definition broadcasting and pre recorded media was beginning to emerge across Europe it was noted by lots of industry insiders that there were a lot of folk buying non compatible hardware - in particular the market was flooded with Flat Panel Displays (TV's) that were marked as being 'High Definition' but due to limitations on the Input side of these Displays (many of which were built with the US market in mind) they were never going to work with the high definition broadcasts being planned for roll out across Europe.

The governing body that looks after all things in relation to Broadcasting and pre recorded media across Europe (EICTA) decided to take a sub set of the global High Definition 'standard' and designated it as 'HD Ready' - this then meant all hardwired manufacturers in Europe could build to that spec and consumers buying Source devices and Displays could purchase kit marked as 'HD Ready' knowing that they had some level of guaranteed compatibility.

Armed with a SKY HD box, an HD DVD player and a Blu-ray Disc player consumers ought to still be looking to purchase an 'HD Ready' Display - it doesn't guarantee you will be able to make use of every feature of the new pre recorded formats but it does guarantee some level of compatibility and does guarantee compatibility with SKY HD.

As MAW mentions there are some features of the Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD technologies that go beyond the scope of the 'HD Ready' guidelines so anyone wanting to take advantage of those 'features' will have to ensure they have a Display that is 'HD Ready' and covers the additional features they are looking for.

See http://www.eicta.org/press.asp?level2=24&level1=6&level0=1&year=2005&docid=398

Best regards

Joe

Standard Member
Hi Joe and Maw,
Very interesting reading - thanks for all the detail. I begining to understand the meaning of HD Ready!

I must it's a honour to be a member of AVFORUMS as you are able to learn so much with the help of other members off course!

regards Ajay

Standard Member
Hi Joe and Maw,
Very interesting reading - thanks for all the detail. I begining to understand the meaning of HD Ready!

I must it's a honour to be a member of AVFORUMS as you are able to learn so much with the help of other members off course!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom