Question With the power of the new Xbox Series X will you move to a console for gaming?

Having a gaming PC gives me much pleasure, I also enjoy having all the consoles (although I buy them over a period of time rather than all at launch). Comparing them I have to say it depends on how objective you can be, purely on cost consoles are incredible value, even more so with this generation with NMVe and 4K 60fps. Also I have a son and getting him a gaming PC is just too damn expensive at this point (will happen in the future) regardless of what extras it can do, where as a Xbox Series X has him covered.

To be honest I feel the cost ratio of PC gaming hardware to console is wayyyyy in favor of consoles in 2020 where a good GFX card costs £700. Sometimes I think we are all mad spending the amount of money on a gaming PC for the percieved improvements it brings as the returns are so small the more you spend (e.g. spending £1000 to go from 107ps to 113fps I mean why bother ?) but I do keep doing i. , But then I dont understand expensive jewellery either much to the wifes dissapointment.
I agree that a true gamer should have a pc and console. I have the pro and a I gave my brother my x. I've got a powerful gaming pc so the xbox isn't necessary.
Yes a powerful gaming pc costs a significant amount more than a console but you get a massive performance increase. And it's very visible. When comparing games on my pc to the x, the difference was enormous.
The Pro is essential for the stunning Sony exclusives
Lost of us 2 looks truly outstanding on the pro. The hdr puts pc hdr to shame. But on pc the game would look even better
Consoles provide excellent value for money.
A powerful gaming pc can do so much more than a console. Things such as mods make a massive difference.
A true gamer would have a console and a pc. There's way too much snobbery from pc gamers. The vast majority of which have pc that gives inferior graphics to a ps4
Many younger people game on Pc for one reason.
Piracy. It's rampant on the pc.
I will have a ps5 at some point. I'd love to see the uncharted games given a ps5 upgrade
Some games you just have to play. And Sony have some of the greatest of all time.

Was that the Digital Foundry article? Dirt 5 on Xbox Series X - what's the difference between 60fps and 120fps racing?

We're given three playback modes on Series X: one for frame-rate, another for image quality, and finally 120Hz. Final metrics are yet to be nailed down and may well improve when the game ships, but as it stands, the frame-rate mode runs at a dynamic 3840x2160, targeting 60fps. Visually speaking, the game does a very good job sticking at 4K; the car selection, opening attract screens, and action after splintering from the pack - all 4K. The only slight drop resolution-wise is at the starting grid, to 3328x1872 - but impressively, that's it.

For £450 you are not going to get the same performance as you will out of a £2k+ PC of course, but for the pricethat is pretty impressive.

There's a vvg article about the new xbox and dirt 5. It's pretty damning about the xbox and it's performance in this game.
I've played the dirt games on the xbox one x at 4k and the graphics are very poor compared to pc.
It seems that on the new high powered xbox that things aren't much better.
Microsoft cherry pick their testers to make sure they all sing to the Microsoft song. Otherwise they don't get any more freebies to test. Nvidia do the same
Anyway, this article says that the new xbox can't deliver on its promises with dirt 5.
I am surprised!! Harrumph

This article completely contradicts your view about cherry picking. MS gave samples out weeks in advance, left no orders about what they can do with it other than the usually NDA conditions, indicating a lot of confidence in their work.

Lets face it, the number crunching power of a new 3080 is 3x that of the XSX and then it has dedicated RTX and DLSS hardware too.

Playing the likes of Control and Exodus on my LG OLED at 4K/120 at above 60fps with Ray tracing is just :thumbsup:

I had Exodus on PS4P and PC. Couldn't play on PS4P as gave me motion sicknes (low fps?) but great on PC. Saying that, if I had not seen visuals on a high end PC I'd still have been happy visually with what PS4Pro produced other than my motion sickness.

Console free now for first time in over three decades as sold my PS4Pro now after completing LoU2 and Days Gone. First time I'm not getting a launch day PS too but will when exclussive appear that I have to play.

Still have an XSX pre-order for now but other than back catalogue (not had XBOX before) all new games will be PC so may cancel it. Already have 1 year of XBOX Ultimate to go at with PC.

Last edited:
There's a vvg article about the new xbox and dirt 5. It's pretty damning about the xbox and it's performance in this game.
I've played the dirt games on the xbox one x at 4k and the graphics are very poor compared to pc.
It seems that on the new high powered xbox that things aren't much better.
Microsoft cherry pick their testers to make sure they all sing to the Microsoft song. Otherwise they don't get any more freebies to test. Nvidia do the same
Anyway, this article says that the new xbox can't deliver on its promises with dirt 5.
I am surprised!! Harrumph
At this point, all these games are just current-gen developed and hastily ported to next-gen for launch, I wouldn't judge the console's capabilities on that alone.

Does anyone know if PC gamers are likely to see any “quick resume” type functionality like the new consoles have? Or is this all due to the shared memory pcs don’t have.

unlikely as storage on PC's is not fixed and you need a NVMe really. Windows would need to make it a feature and there not that driven by games.

Does anyone know if PC gamers are likely to see any “quick resume” type functionality like the new consoles have? Or is this all due to the shared memory pcs don’t have.
To be fair with a decent SSD games load in seconds. Something like The Division 2 actually takes longer to connect to servers than to load the game

unlikely as storage on PC's is not fixed and you need a NVMe really. Windows would need to make it a feature and there not that driven by games.

Could Microsoft implement it as part of gamepass pc beta app in a couple of years?, after all they have complete control over what Windows does, assigning a bit of your pc storage to capture game save states is surely doable?.

Not that it’s a huge deal as it is on console, but of course it would still be nice not having to wade through all the developer logos when I launch a game.

If I have a very high end PC with NVMe drives is the only real benefit of XSX the greater back catalogue range as it seems all XSX games will come to PC and my Ryzen 3800/RTX3080 will easily excel on performance/visuals over the XSX ? Already have Game Pass Ultimate.

Hovering on cancelling my XSX preorder now, but really love the look of it :D Also doubt I will use XSX to watch 4K movie discs.

Last edited:

We already do - Alt-Tab :)
You can load up as many games as your PC can handle and switch between them, sure they don't "hibernate to disk immediately" like they do on the Xbox SX, but there is little other than resource to stop you doing that. The PC will also automatically switch that memory use out to the swap file if it is demanded elsewhere too. Not quite the same, but should effectively be quicker still.

Basically the way they are doing it is a memory snapshot and hibernating it to disk - not sure if you have used VMWare or similar, but it is exactly that method when you pause a virtual machine - take contents of memory including the graphics card VRAM (emulated in this case), dump it to disk. Resume the machine and it carries on from when it left off after taking the disk image back to memory.
The main difference is that the Xbox OS is built from the ground up for it, the whole hypervisor thing has been a core part of Xbox since the earlier generations (mainly for security by isolating the game running from getting to the actual operating system for exploits IIRC) - just now with fast storage they can effectively do it for the contents in VRAM/RAM quite quickly . You're basically ending up with lots of 16GB (assuming this is the total RAM/VRAM count) images being stored temporarily and because of the bypassing CPU time between storage and GPU it's probably faster than what we could hope to see on a Win10 PC.
I am not sure of the limitations of the GPU access in VMWare and similar, I have experienced it being locked out using Linux KVM systems so it becomes dedicated to that image only while it is running and I can't remember if that is a limit imposed by KVM or by NVidia wanting you to buy a Quadro or other workstation grade GPU, IIRC it was the later...and I am pretty sure that some VM products only support up to DX11 or older Vulkan versions.

The only things keeping me in PC gaming are:
1. Gigantic backlog of games
2. I use my PC as a HTPC, media player, MADVR, store all my films and TV shows
3. The 60fps+4k+high graphical fidelity + mods
4. VR gaming

Otherwise, I could totally see why someone would grab an XSX, game pass, a few old games which have the new upgrades and have fun. Also comes with a 4K Bluray player and has Dolby vision for games which PC doesn't.

The only things keeping me in PC gaming are:
1. Gigantic backlog of games
2. I use my PC as a HTPC, media player, MADVR, store all my films and TV shows
3. The 60fps+4k+high graphical fidelity + mods
4. VR gaming

Otherwise, I could totally see why someone would grab an XSX, game pass, a few old games which have the new upgrades and have fun. Also comes with a 4K Bluray player and has Dolby vision for games which PC doesn't.

We're not gonna take your bait, we are the master race :clap:

the more videos i watch on the series x the more impressed i become with it. It will never beat a Pc but at the same time the flexibility to quick resume a game is impressive. Sometimes i only get 30 mins to have a quick blast and thats when the xbox comes into its own etc

We're not gonna take your bait, we are the master race :clap:

I'll probably always be PC, just because I don't mind spending money for the near-best experience. In the land of home theatre, 1000-2000 quid for a PC is not a lot of money.

But the thing which annoys me is XBOX gaining Dolby Vision support. Windows implimentation of HDR has been meh and we've been slightly behind consoles at certain points of time in regards to this.

For example, TW3 never got a HDR update because CDProjectred at the time said its just too much of a mess on PC.

Its going to annoy me if XBOX get a meaningful implimentation of Dolby Vision for most of their games we don't. I hope Microsoft and Dolby work together so we get DV on PC.

Even Atmos on PC is a bit of an award situation at the moment as it doesn't map on windows my height speakers so its all dependant on bitstream pass through and the AVR cleaning things up. The Dolby Atmos 'app' should be able to see these i think.

Something I have always hated about playing xbox games on my pc is the amount of times they crash. It made them unplayable. Forza 7, Horizons, GoW4, etc. That was on a Intel PC. I just finished building a new PC the other day (Ryzen 3900x) and I couldn't wait to start playing Forza properly.

5 crash to desktops in less than 30 mins. That's it, I'm done with Xbox games on my PC. I'm not going to waste any more of my time. If I want to play xbox games, it'll be on an xbox.

Something I have always hated about playing xbox games on my pc is the amount of times they crash. It made them unplayable. Forza 7, Horizons, GoW4, etc. That was on a Intel PC. I just finished building a new PC the other day (Ryzen 3900x) and I couldn't wait to start playing Forza properly.

5 crash to desktops in less than 30 mins. That's it, I'm done with Xbox games on my PC. I'm not going to waste any more of my time. If I want to play xbox games, it'll be on an xbox.
Not tried those games personally but have had no issues at all with all the others I've tried on GamePass.

I have no issues with Forza.

I did have issues with GOW4 a couple of months ago, did MS updates and it all resolved.

Definitely not as quirk-free as consoles.

I have no issues with Forza.

I did have issues with GOW4 a couple of months ago, did MS updates and it all resolved.

Definitely not as quirk-free as consoles.
I've wasted hours of my life trawling through forums and every "fix" I've tried has done nothing. Crash to desktop. :mad:

So frustrating because the benchmark gives me 140fps. Not going to get that on an xbox but at least it'll play!

I've wasted hours of my life trawling through forums and every "fix" I've tried has done nothing. Crash to desktop. :mad:

I've been there and done that.
This is the biggest issue with PC gaming.
And even if a games does work flawlessly, on PC sometimes I will want to tinker and mod it to make it even better.. which wastes even more time.

But then when I go back to my console, sometimes the experience is just horrible (Persona 5 30fps, Fire emblem Three houses 20-30FPS)... PC spoils us but can also really annoy us.

SkyrimVR modding when i eventually play it.. I have no doubt the modding will take me 20-30 hours lol.

I still like PC gaming but really just going to stick to "pc games" from now on (Company of Heroes, Starcraft 2, Dawn of War, etc.) But even with PC games it isn't always a smooth experience. Take today for example. For some reason, discord wasn't giving me any sound or using my mic no matter what I did in the settings. Eventually, it just started working but me and my friend wasted 10-15 mins figuring it out.

I can't remember the last time on xbox or ps4 I had any issues (other than needing an update) that stopped me from just switching on and playing.

I still like PC gaming but really just going to stick to "pc games" from now on (Company of Heroes, Starcraft 2, Dawn of War, etc.) But even with PC games it isn't always a smooth experience. Take today for example. For some reason, discord wasn't giving me any sound or using my mic no matter what I did in the settings. Eventually, it just started working but me and my friend wasted 10-15 mins figuring it out.

I can't remember the last time on xbox or ps4 I had any issues (other than needing an update) that stopped me from just switching on and playing.

What is you mic setup when using discord ?

What is you mic setup when using discord ?
Just set to my corsair headset to activate when talking. Nothing I did worked. Downloaded the app instead and worked straight away. It's all that required tinkering I'm quite fed up of to be honest but I'm aware that a lot of people just don't experience these issues or if they do are that bothered by them.

Just set to my corsair headset to activate when talking. Nothing I did worked. Downloaded the app instead and worked straight away. It's all that required tinkering I'm quite fed up of to be honest but I'm aware that a lot of people just don't experience these issues or if they do are that bothered by them.

I found the main issue with Discord is you need to make sure the mic is connected and switched on before starting Discord

I found the main issue with Discord is you need to make sure the mic is connected and switched on before starting Discord
Yeah it's always on from pc startup. Headset is the first thing I switch on after the mouse. Tbh, I'm really struggling to decide what to do with my remaining budget (still using old gpu) do I buy a new gpu for my pc or an Xbox Series X......

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom