Question With the power of the new Xbox Series X will you move to a console for gaming?

We are probably still in the top 5 countries by technology sales so not that small
Technology sales are completely different to infrastructure. The North was still using bus on boggies (which even Iran got rid of) up until last year.

Technology sales are completely different to infrastructure. The North was still using bus on boggies (which even Iran got rid of) up until last year.

Have no idea what you are talking about and you were the one who said “and we are quite small as well” meaning we wouldn’t be a high consideration by technology companies when introducing game streaming services.

Have no idea what you are talking about and you were the one who said “and we are quite small as well” meaning we wouldn’t be a high consideration by technology companies when introducing game streaming services.
That basically the UK is running trains built in the 70s that are not fit for purpose
Well, we have a population of around 66 million. France and Germany have double that combined. Japan is nearly double that. So in the essence of things, we are quite small. Let alone comparing the UK to the likes of the USA. Or China, or India, with population's in excess of 1 billion.
Anyhow my point is that Microsoft/Sony won't base major decisions on there consoles/services based on the UK

For streaming you have to also remember that geography to the data center is essential. I live in New Zealand and we have gigabit fibre, great, the nearest data centre is in America. No matter how good our internal cabling here is we are still streaming from American data centres via undersea cables that introduces significant latency. So not only do you need developed countries with decent internet to the masses, you also need the platform owner to invest in local data centres, that needs to be a viable business model for them. A small 5 million country may not necessarily get the return on investment when it comes to building the data centre just for fans streaming. For actual data consumption the latency to the American and Aussie servers isn't an issue so for their wider business there's no benefit building a data centre here.

Having a 1Gb connection doesn't matter if the ping response is poor. It's not about capacity, it's about latency. And sure, fibre reduces that, but physics is still physics: unless the streaming servers are nearby, certain games will be unplayable.

Game streaming services are going to deploy where they can catch the most customers. So smaller population countries like Norway are going to be very low down on that list.

Well, we have a population of around 66 million. France and Germany have double that combined.

:confused: thinks that's one of the daftest things I've read

But we still buy more technology so are more likely to be considered by the electronics companies when they make decisions, also as mentioned above the USA has a pretty crap broadband infrastructure generally (don't go on the few technology youtubers who get superfast broadband at super high costs)

But we still buy more technology
Data to back this up? I am sure when it comes to IPhone sales etc we maybe ahead. But for computer components, I doubt it.
You look at the UK, and compare it to say USA, Japan and the EU, and we are a small market.

Having a 1Gb connection doesn't matter if the ping response is poor. It's not about capacity, it's about latency. And sure, fibre reduces that, but physics is still physics: unless the streaming servers are nearby, certain games will be unplayable.

Game streaming services are going to deploy where they can catch the most customers. So smaller population countries like Norway are going to be very low down on that list.
Depends, for multilayer definitely.
For single player games the data can be loaded to local storage in advanced. This is what happens with playstation plus on the PC. And it is completely playable

I have to say, from looking at the videos of the new XBox, it looks a cracking bit of kit. Can't wait to see what it's capable of.

Back to the OPs question....
For me it's worked out the opposite way. I built my first gaming PC about 10 years ago but fell away from it to go back to couch gaming on console about 6 or 7years back.
Given I wasn't that impressed with the new consoles (not the tech, that aspect looks great, but the games at release) I decided to get back into PC gaming. Also it gives me something to tinker about with during lockdowns etc.
I will get the new consoles but not for a while. It generally takes a couple of years before we really see games take advantage of the new tech so that's when I'll jump in.
In the meantime I can upgrade my PC and take advantage of game pass.
I do think MS have done a better job this time around. They have a compelling offering with the 'most powerful console' and gamepass. Not to mention Bethesda games to put on it....

Decided to keep my pre order

Managed to get £200 for my xbox x so it's a relatively cheap upgrade now and can play the back catalogue of games I have which may not have been possible on the PC

Im reading rumours that two press sources suggest their Xbox series x consoles have serious heating issues- getting hot enough to substitute as a heat fan even on basic menus.

Can’t imagine its not resolvable before release, but clearly some r&d to finish up before release.

Im reading rumours that two press sources suggest their Xbox series x consoles have serious heating issues- getting hot enough to substitute as a heat fan even on basic menus.

Can’t imagine its not resolvable before release, but clearly some r&d to finish up before release.

Thats pretty major if it's overheating whilst flipping through the menus :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

For the first time I'm not considering buying any of the consoles as I've ended up not really playing the current ones at all. In general I find the PC is a fantastic gaming platform which I rarely have any issues with, hardware lasts longer, controllers have been standardised and cross play and features (xbox party on PC to Xbox etc.) makes it easier to play with other friends who have consoles.

I mainly use a desktop but bought a gaming laptop for portability since I was planning more travelling (about a month before covid19, oops) but while it doesn't work well on a lap due to the incredible heat and noise it is working well as a TV gaming machine.

Agreed. AMD have a GPU history of being big on performance hype, and then releasing a room heater. Just when they've almost caught up the midrange Nvidia cards, Nvidia releases something that puts them back 2 generations again.

I wish they would leapfrog Nvidia like they've done with Intel, I really do. But I just don't see it happening anytime soon given the lead the green team still have. Still, I hope to be surprised.

Definitely, I'm not brand loyal and the PC market has shown how bad it is to have one company dominating. I changed from Intel to AMD for a Ryzen 3900 and would love to see AMD do the same with the 6000 series especially given GPU prices have been getting silly but I'm not optimistic either.

Definitely, I'm not brand loyal and the PC market has shown how bad it is to have one company dominating. I changed from Intel to AMD for a Ryzen 3900 and would love to see AMD do the same with the 6000 series especially given GPU prices have been getting silly but I'm not optimistic either.
Agreed. I generally try to buy the best I can afford when I need it. I'm eyeing that Ryzen 5000 series to replace my ageing yet trusty 6700K, might do that upgrade before the GPU given the stock situation.

Hardly.
I've bought a 3090. That puts the next gen consoles at least 4 years behind pc technology.
That's as it should be given the massive price and power difference

Hardly.
I've bought a 3090. That puts the next gen consoles at least 4 years behind pc technology.
That's as it should be given the massive price and power difference
I just went to 3080/Ryzen 3800X new build for top end visuals but thats £1900 vs £450.

I just went to 3080/Ryzen 3800X new build for top end visuals but thats £1900 vs £450.
Yep “4x” the tech, for 4x the price. I’ve done the same and tbh know I’ve probably over paid for what youl notice real world.
These new consoles are a bargain without question.

You can do much more with the PC as well. And how many times has your PC hardware failed?
My brother went through about 3 PS4s in the first year he had one. He even got a replacement from Sony that was dead on arrival.

You can do much more with the PC as well. And how many times has your PC hardware failed?
My brother went through about 3 PS4s in the first year he had one. He even got a replacement from Sony that was dead on arrival.

Well never......but then again neither have my consoles since the doomed 360. What I do know if I have had about a billion annoyingly little issues with my gaming PC that have needed sorting out, I’m no pc expert so that infernal machine has stolen a lot of gaming hours from me as I’ve been scratching my head trying to fix it’s latest shenanigans.

My consoles are there for simplicity and ease of use, you say a pc can do so much more, well that’s the best thing about consoles for me - that they don’t do anything except gaming, that’s what I bought them for after all. I doubt I would drop PC gaming entirely, currently loving Hades, there’s a lot of games that aren’t particularly suited to consoles and it’s nice to have vast amount of cheap games from all decades readily available.

I must be lucky to have never had a console fail.

If I didn't chase best visual perfection, hence a 3080 with an LG B9 4k/120Hz G-Sync OLED, I'd be more than happy for what the new consoles offer for such little money. New games will obviously be silly expensive for a while compared to PC games.

I have now cancelled my PS5 pre-order as nothing I want to play on it and don't like the design, but still do currently have my XSX pre-order. It will be first time I've not had a launch PS and first time I've had an XBOX.

I am a PC "expert" (and work in the area) so never really have significant PC issues.

Having a gaming PC gives me much pleasure, I also enjoy having all the consoles (although I buy them over a period of time rather than all at launch). Comparing them I have to say it depends on how objective you can be, purely on cost consoles are incredible value, even more so with this generation with NMVe and 4K 60fps. Also I have a son and getting him a gaming PC is just too damn expensive at this point (will happen in the future) regardless of what extras it can do, where as a Xbox Series X has him covered.

To be honest I feel the cost ratio of PC gaming hardware to console is wayyyyy in favor of consoles in 2020 where a good GFX card costs £700. Sometimes I think we are all mad spending the amount of money on a gaming PC for the percieved improvements it brings as the returns are so small the more you spend (e.g. spending £1000 to go from 107ps to 113fps I mean why bother ?) but I do keep doing i. , But then I dont understand expensive jewellery either much to the wifes dissapointment.

There's a vvg article about the new xbox and dirt 5. It's pretty damning about the xbox and it's performance in this game.
I've played the dirt games on the xbox one x at 4k and the graphics are very poor compared to pc.
It seems that on the new high powered xbox that things aren't much better.
Microsoft cherry pick their testers to make sure they all sing to the Microsoft song. Otherwise they don't get any more freebies to test. Nvidia do the same
Anyway, this article says that the new xbox can't deliver on its promises with dirt 5.
I am surprised!! Harrumph

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom