Question With the power of the new Xbox Series X will you move to a console for gaming?

I think it should be noted you guys comparing future PS5 and Xbox hardware to current gen PC hardware is not the same as comparing PS5 to the upcoming Nvidia Ampere monsters due to be released in September. You can check the performance numbers.

Also, most PC gamers are prepared to spend more than 500 on their machine - and that does not mean buying the most expensive card.

Granted, if you are on a very limited budget, you have to settle for console gaming.

I will happily pay a few hundred more than the price of a console to have the best gaming experience. I think anyone not prepared to do so, once they have the means to, is just affected by brand - or console gaming - bias (not bois).

Show me a console that will out perform even modest Nvidia Ampere expected specs and I'll buy one. Can you?

Nvidia Geforce RTX 3000 will crush PS5 and Xbox Series X in 4K gaming

The sources divulged details about the GA102 GPU, likely a top-of-the-line next-generation GeForce graphics card, claiming it will deliver a massive 21 teraflops of power and come with 18Gbps GDDR6 video memory.

Given the Xbox Series X has 12 teraflops of power and the PS5 has 10.2 teraflops, the GeForce RTX 3080 Ti is likely to have the next-generation consoles hopelessly beaten when it comes to graphics performance.

But the Amd gpus in those next gen machines arent out in the wild yet either are they? As in RDNA 2.0 so we are looking at 2 future techs that aren't released.

GeForce RTX 3080 Ti is likely to have the next-generation consoles hopelessly beaten when it comes to graphics performance.
I'd hope so considering if the 2080ti is anything to go by, its going to cost over £1000 for one of those cards! Not many PC gamers as a whole will have those cards. Look at the steam survey to see how many 2080ti users there are. Thats not mid-range at all.

I think it should be noted you guys comparing future PS5 and Xbox hardware to current gen PC hardware is not the same as comparing PS5 to the upcoming Nvidia Ampere monsters due to be released in September. You can check the performance numbers.

Also, most PC gamers are prepared to spend more than 500 on their machine - and that does not mean buying the most expensive card.

Granted, if you are on a very limited budget, you have to settle for console gaming.

I will happily pay a few hundred more than the price of a console to have the best gaming experience. I think anyone not prepared to do so, once they have the means to, is just affected by brand - or console gaming - bias (not bois).

Show me a console that will out perform even modest Nvidia Ampere expected specs and I'll buy one. Can you?
Another thing worth noting though is that price is being entirely ignored. Even besides that, I have a gaming PC and consoles and while the PC is better, I still prefer console for a lot of things. My PC is almost triple the price of what these new consoles will cost,

Price is being entirely ignored though. I have a PC and consoles and I still prefer the console for a lot of things. Add to that my gaming PC is 3 times more expensive than these new console will be, and they'll likely be very close performance wise, and article like these start to look silly. It's like buying a new M3 and someone going pfft, that can't match my custom modded Ferrari. It's a silly argument.

The Nvidia Ampere models - not just the flagship model - will almost certainly provide better gaming performance than consoles. You do not need to buy the most expensive card for this to be true.

TBH, people should not be comparing 2 things that are vastly different prices. Compare a £500 PC to a next gen console, that is a fair comparison. Of course you are going to get better performance from somethign that is twice the price.

So it would seem that all of us are in agreement in our answer to the question posed by the thread. If you are already a PC gamer, you are unlikely to move back to console gaming due to the power of the Xbox Series X (or the PS5 for that matter), as the upcoming Nvidia Ampere graphics cards, and not just the crazily priced most expensive models, will most likely leave both gaming consoles for dust in terms of performance.

Though, if your main concern is saving a few hundred, take the more budget friendly option and switch to a gaming console.

I'll be getting a PS5 and a have a gaming PC and a Switch so this way i'm getting all of the games.

So it would seem that all of us are in agreement in our answer to the question posed by the thread. If you are already a PC gamer, you are unlikely to move back to console gaming due to the power of the Xbox Series X (or the PS5 for that matter), as the upcoming Nvidia Ampere graphics cards, and not just the crazily priced most expensive models, will most likely leave both gaming consoles for dust in terms of performance.
Maybe in most cases. But, even though I am not quite as excited about the new consoles as I would be if I didn't have a nice PC, once the actual consoles & games are revealed I will almost certainly have my head turned. There is a good chance a PS5 will be under my TV at some point and some of that is down to it's power. I think both new consoles are being more ambitious than at previous launches.

TBH, people should not be comparing 2 things that are vastly different prices. Compare a £500 PC to a next gen console, that is a fair comparison. Of course you are going to get better performance from somethign that is twice the price.
I think it's been well established that consoles are sold for close to cost price and profits are recouped on the games licensing. So comparing a £500 console to a £500 PC is not exactly an apples to apples comparison when it comes to actual hardware (but I guess from purely a consumer standpoint it would).

By the time the new consoles hit the shelves, PCs will most likely already be on the next generation of GPUs in any case. Personally I don't care much for consoles unless they can bring something new to the party (proper VR would be a good starting point). I'm more curious as to what Nintendo do than Sony and Microsoft - they usually try to change the gaming experience rather than just more of the same with slightly better graphics.

I also use my PC for other things. Photoshop, CAD, video editing. All things you cannot do on a console.
I think it's been well established that consoles are sold for close to cost price and profits are recouped on the games licensing. So comparing a £500 console to a £500 PC is not exactly an apples to apples comparison when it comes to actual hardware (but I guess from purely a consumer standpoint it would).
I am pretty sure when the xbox one came out Microsoft sold them at a loss. As you mentioned, they recoup the costs from exclusives and charging for things like xbox live

I doubt a 1k PC build, built from all new components, will match the new consoles even if you built it yourself. My recent self pc build was about a 1.5k, and the new consoles are supposedly able to match the performance I have there, which all things considered is a staggering step forward for consoles. From a pure gaming POV, you'll need to spend quite a bit to beat the console performance that's on the horizon.

Won't read much into that. When you can build a pc from scratch for 500 quid including gaming quality mouse, keyboard and gamepad, and it can beat what the next gen consoles will do then we can talk. And by beat, I mean beat, not run a few mhz higher or pump out 10 more fps. Truth is, that's impossible.
That is not apples with apples comparison tho. Games still tend to (not always with the cross play titles of course) cost less on PC than on console esp once they have been out for a few months and also you have to pay to play games online . Personally I Really am not a fan of forced subscriptions. I tried viveport for 3 months and used it for all of 40 mins in an app which cost pennies. Everyone is different however and I get that for some paying for psn+ or live gold is ok value.

Bottom line over the course of 5 years I don't think there is a lot in it in terms of costs. It's just about buying what suits your personal circumstance. More and more now pcs and consoles are getting closer. I hope that continues esp with crossplay.

The only thing I hate and is unforgivable is when pc features are held back because of console. For example watchdogs has graphical improvements which were hidden that can be forced on, and gears 4 never got HDR on pc to make sure Xbox 1X looked better. Since ED came to console Frontier massively cut back on pc patches and improvements and this was because the Sony and MS patching process didn't allow it... So everyone lost out.

Since ED came to console Frontier massively cut back on pc patches and improvements and this was because the Sony and MS patching process didn't allow it... So everyone lost out.
Where did you hear that? You're saying it didnt get updated on the PC because Sony and MS didn't allow them to make patches for PC? That just sounds made up TBH but happy to be proven wrong.

That is not apples with apples comparison tho. Games still tend to (not always with the cross play titles of course) cost less on PC than on console esp once they have been out for a few months and also you have to pay to play games online . Personally I Really am not a fan of forced subscriptions. I tried viveport for 3 months and used it for all of 40 mins in an app which cost pennies. Everyone is different however and I get that for some paying for psn+ or live gold is ok value.

Bottom line over the course of 5 years I don't think there is a lot in it in terms of costs. It's just about buying what suits your personal circumstance. More and more now pcs and consoles are getting closer. I hope that continues esp with crossplay.

The only thing I hate and is unforgivable is when pc features are held back because of console. For example watchdogs has graphical improvements which were hidden that can be forced on, and gears 4 never got HDR on pc to make sure Xbox 1X looked better. Since ED came to console Frontier massively cut back on pc patches and improvements and this was because the Sony and MS patching process didn't allow it... So everyone lost out.
I kind of don't follow your cost logic. Plenty of console games are cheap. I have game pass ultimate so for 12 quid a month I get xbl, 2-4 free games a month to keep and 200 ish free to play games. I don't play them all of course, but if you want to start adding the cost of games in as well, it's not as uneven as you make out. I played DayZ on console, it cost me 15 quid ish, same with pubg and ARC. I also get X cloud for whatever value that's worth. A future game I want to play is MS flight sim, again it will be free to play on gamepass, so I feel I get plenty of value from the service and have spent way less buyin games since the service was released . I don't smoke and don't drink very much at all, and most people saying that gamepass is bad value will often pay that or more on a bottle of wine alone, so it's all horses for courses. Meanwhile I just paid 40 ish for access only to the vapour ware that is Star Citizen, but I'm enjoying it. If nothing else the PC community is a cut about the average console online community experience though!

Where I do agree is with your later point. Detrimental impacts on either platform because of the other is terrible. If consoles can get close enough to PC to erase that, then that can only be good.

Last edited:
Where did you hear that? You're saying it didnt get updated on the PC because Sony and MS didn't allow them to make patches for PC? That just sounds made up TBH but happy to be proven wrong.

It's a common perception within the ED community re development and to some extent has merit. After all more than 50% of ED sales are on PS4 and XBox One. So FD need to accommodate the needs of that part of their customer base.

I don't agree consoles are entirely the reason for lack of development of ED but it is certainly a factor, mainly because of the limited nature of the game pad input device, console hardware and VR capabilities. You can't access EDDB, EDSY or other ED information websites using a console. These are vital for the serious player.

It's a common perception within the ED community re development and to some extent has merit. After all more than 50% of ED sales are on PS4 and XBox One. So FD need to accommodate the needs of that part of their customer base.

I don't agree consoles are entirely the reason for lack of development of ED but it is certainly a factor, mainly because of the limited nature of the game pad input device, console hardware and VR capabilities. You can't access EDDB, EDSY or other ED information websites using a console. These are vital for the serious player.
Mouse and Keyboard are supported on Xbox, so that's not an issue. The biggest problem IS CPU power, which along with SSDs is one of the things that will see the biggest move forward. You can also use websites just fine when you play console games, there is a Web browser on xbox.

I use a controller on the PC fine with Elite. Never took it too seriously though.

Hang on I am not blaming consoles for lack of development of the game. My guess is it is far more likely they put ED in essentially maintanence so they could work on other IP (FD swear this isn't the case and that ED has never been in maintanence but that does not grok with me.) I was purely talking about ED getting weekly fixes to sort minor bugs and what not until the Xbox launch and from a developers mouth they simply could not do that once launched on console due to the patch process on console.... Hence we now have bugs in the game for months and months and months. Even then consoles may not ONLY be to blame... But it was the console launch which forced this patch changing.

I kind of don't follow your cost logic. Plenty of console games are cheap. I have game pass ultimate so for 12 quid a month I get xbl, 2-4 free games a month to keep and 200 ish free to play games. I don't play them all of course, but if you want to start adding the cost of games in as well, it's not as uneven as you make out. I played DayZ on console, it cost me 15 quid ish, same with pubg and ARC. I also get X cloud for whatever value that's worth. A future game I want to play is MS flight sim, again it will be free to play on gamepass, so I feel I get plenty of value from the service and have spent way less buyin games since the service was released . I don't smoke and don't drink very much at all, and most people saying that gamepass is bad value will often pay that or more on a bottle of wine alone, so it's all horses for courses. Meanwhile I just paid 40 ish for access only to the vapour ware that is Star Citizen, but I'm enjoying it. If nothing else the PC community is a cut about the average console online community experience though!

Where I do agree is with your later point. Detrimental impacts on either platform because of the other is terrible. If consoles can get close enough to PC to erase that, then that can only be good.
Subs work for some people no doubt... They just don't work for me. The free (not really as you pay the sub) games on xbl gold or psn+ do add value no doubt but with the likes of humble bundles and then the epic store sales I still say pc gaming is cheaper in general. But to each their own. Consoles do have some advantages not touched on..... Cheating is much harder on console and it is generally more of a level playing field.

Even on pc I play most games with pad where I can (struggling with rsi a bit due to job with heavy mouse use) so some games are not really doable for me on pc - anything competitive really.

Like you say different strokes etc. I am glad the new consoles look good but I have been reading about the death of pc gaming due to the nextgreat console for decades. Maybe this console launch will be the one to go without bullshots and fake vids and where the pre launch guff about how things are about to be transformed will be true... But it was not the case for PS2, PS3 or PS4 so I am not holding my breath for ps5.
But as I said... It looks decent imo and better than I initially thought.

This generation i bought Ps Pro,Xbox X,N Switch and rtx2080 on pc side.
Switch i didnt turn on from last summer,on Pro i play sometime GT Sport and that Sony golf,on Xbox my son play .....Fortnite,every other game i play on PC so my next upgrade will be rtx3080ti and i belive this time only Playstation 5 from console side.
Just wona have lock 60fps and only pc can offer that.

Going on my last 2 months my most played platform is NES..... I am cheating though and using my raspberry pi .....😀

You need to get ab eye on hotukdeals
I have about 12 months worth for £30 of xbox ultimate (which I do not use).
I doubt a 1k PC build, built from all new components, will match the new consoles even if you built it yourself. My recent self pc build was about a 1.5k, and the new consoles are supposedly able to match the performance I have there, which all things considered is a staggering step forward for consoles. From a pure gaming POV, you'll need to spend quite a bit to beat the console performance that's on the horizon.
Supposedly being the key word. Do you think the PS5 will play the latest games with 4K 12 Bit HDR at a locked 60 FPS?
I doubt it. if AMD are making the GPU or whatever it is called, then there current flagship card cannot manage this on all games. How will a console GPU manage it?
Simple. They will have to remove some of the eye candy

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom