Question With the power of the new Xbox Series X will you move to a console for gaming?

The specs released by both SONY and MS are a long way ahead of that. You are looking at more like 2080ti
Like I said...... I wasn't born yesterday. PS 3 was meant to be a true supercomputer . I will figuratively eat my hat if ps5 matches a high end gaming pc with a 2080ti. Remember the performance numbers that AMD release for their GPUs always look great but when push comes to shove cards like the Vega series ultimately dissapointed.

TLDR I don't trust what Sony and MS say. I will wait for a proper digital foundry like comparison and then I will admit if I am wrong.

Like I said...... I wasn't born yesterday. PS 3 was meant to be a true supercomputer . I will figuratively eat my hat if ps5 matches a high end gaming pc with a 2080ti. Remember the performance numbers that AMD release for their GPUs always look great but when push comes to shove cards like the Vega series ultimately dissapointed.

TLDR I don't trust what Sony and MS say. I will wait for a proper digital foundry like comparison and then I will admit if I am wrong.

Rayner and his team showed Microsoft Gears 5 running on the Xbox Series X using the same Ultra settings usually reserved for the PC version. This version of the game also includes higher texture resolutions, higher-resolution volumetric fog, and 50% higher particle count than the PC Ultra specs. The team from The Coalition also showed an improved version of the game’s opening cutscene, which ran at 60 frames per second in 4K — twice the frame rate of the Xbox One X version.

Gears 5 also saw speedier loads on the Series X, and included additional visual features like contact shadows and self-shadow lighting. According to Rayner, the team at The Coalition is investigating a version of the game that could run at 120 frames per second in multiplayer matches. Microsoft revealed that The Coalition only had a matter of weeks to make all of this progress.

THink Digital foundry have also looked at Gears too

It will be good I am sure and I am not trying to say the consoles will be poor (I don't think they will be) but I just don't think they will be technically on a par with a high end gaming pc with a 2080ti... (But even if they are let's not forget the 2080ti will be over 2 years old by the time the console launches.)

Making a special version for console does not necessarily mean the console is better than the pc however.... In fact that is imo s really really rubbish trick some Devs do. Gears 4 got an Xbox 1 xupdate with HDR .., and it was exclusive. Pretty poor show when Devs (probably pressured by MS) make consoles look artificially superior (or even parity) by holding back feature for pc version... Something pc gamers have to live with regularly :(

Last edited:
I seriously doubt they'd be anything close to a 2080Ti. At best they'd be around a 2070. And remember, we're talking about cards that will be over 2 years old when these consoles eventually go on sale (assuming the virus doesn't push things back further), by which point they'll very likely already be a GPU generation behind on release.

And AMD being AMD quoting compute performance... Yeah. Great at bitcoin mining perhaps. Not so great at actual graphical performance.

I love playing games regardless of the platform. Multi-platform titles will always look better on a high end PC. I will say this though, console exclusives can often blow away the competition from any platform. For the time of its release (give or take a year either way) I’ve never seen a PC game that looked as good as Uncharted 4. Hell even now I bet there are hardly any games that look better than Uncharted 4 on a sub £1500 PC.

I've been a console player my whole life. Ive had ok pcs in the past and helped friends build them, but as much as I might prefer PC games, I've always favoured the lower cost of a console on the comfort of a sofa without any of the headache of managing a PC to ensure it always perform optimally.

I'll no doubt get the new xbox, but for the first time in well over a decade, I'm actually considering buying a pc, or rather I'm getting an itch to build one.

For me the thing which excited me most these days about gaming is VR. I was actually quite impressed with what a vanilla PS4 can manage with PSVR and am really interested in a psvr2 with PS5. However with the Xbox seemingly not supporting vr at all that makes it dead in the water for me

For me the thing which excited me most these days about gaming is VR. I was actually quite impressed with what a vanilla PS4 can manage with PSVR and am really interested in a psvr2 with PS5. However with the Xbox seemingly not supporting vr at all that makes it dead in the water for me
PSVR really impressed me too. I'd love the tech to take off and it could well be the thing to get me on board with a PS5, and I've almost never bothered with PlayStation.

deleted

Last edited:
It was a LTT video where he built a PC similar in style to the new Xbox. I thought he tried to match the specs as well, but he didn;t so decided the video wasn;t worth putting in this thread :)

I'll get a ps5 at some point just for their exclusives. No point getting the new xbox as they've nothing exciting coming. Anyway it's all on pc, and with far superior graphics to the new xbox

I'll get a ps5 at some point just for their exclusives. No point getting the new xbox as they've nothing exciting coming. Anyway it's all on pc, and with far superior graphics to the new xbox
As long as you spend way more money that is obviously. Defo a big factor for many.

Microsoft are doing an event today at 4pm uk time to show off Series x games. Only 3rd party titles will be shown, including AC Valhalla gameplay.

They (UBI) confirmed it is gameplay last week.
1588849552756.png

I hope teaser is not just 30 seconds :(

They (UBI) confirmed it is gameplay last week.
Get ready for that graphical showcase of what this game will look like before they turn all the settings down for the final released version 😄

Not sure when a 2070S, which by itself costs very close to what a next gen console will probably cost, was considered midrange :)

Not sure when a 2070S, which by itself costs very close to what a next gen console will probably cost, was considered midrange :)
And the article is still showing that as behind in the teraflop stakes, power wise, too.

That epic demo is incredible and the ps5 is going to be much better relatively than the PS4 at launch by the looks of it. .. however the rtx2070s has been out for some time now . A better comparison will be what equivalent gpu it tallies up with when it is actually release.... My guess will be something around the rtx 3060 level..... Which WOULD be a mid range gaming gpu

Won't read much into that. When you can build a pc from scratch for 500 quid including gaming quality mouse, keyboard and gamepad, and it can beat what the next gen consoles will do then we can talk. And by beat, I mean beat, not run a few mhz higher or pump out 10 more fps. Truth is, that's impossible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom