Question With the power of the new Xbox Series X will you move to a console for gaming?

PC Gamers will be PC Gamers and console gamers will be console gamers. I doubt that unless there is a modular console that allows component changes.....oh wait....that's called a PC isn't it. PC gamers often obsess about graphics and frame rates, real gamers dont really care, its all about the game and the craic. Some of the best games ever never had amazing graphics. yes its great if it looks pretty but I have never seen a game where crap game mechanics have been excused for looking pretty, but I have seen plenty of games that didnt look so pretty but had brilliant mechanics. Look at WOW, compared to its peers at the time its graphics looked awful, but which is the last MMORPG left standing? I rest my case.

After reading this, it does seem that the next gen consoles will be on a different level to all but the top end PC's, especially with all the technical stuff (RDNA2 etc) that is going on.

Lack of upgradability, versatility and a paywall to play with my mates online, no thanks. :)

I am excited for the release though, purely so it drives down the price of GPU's.

Not likely, all the games i'm interested are on PC. If there is ports of those to the console they usually have issues or the controls are not ideal.

Got a Xbox One S for free last year and i only use it to play 4k blu rays. Experience watching movies through it is pretty bad. e.g. controls are a bit weird and there is a clipping sound when going to the menu (which is quite load if you are listening at reference levels)

Lack of upgradability, versatility and a paywall to play with my mates online, no thanks. :)

I am excited for the release though, purely so it drives down the price of GPU's.
You could flip that to: even playing field; stable platform; very few cheaters; guarantee of compatibility; standard user experience and much cheaper Total Cost of Ownership (some GPUs alone cost 2 -3 x as much as a console) - yes please. :)

It all depends what your perspective is.

Biggest concern for me with those specs is the tiny 1tb SSD. That will be 10 games or less within a year or even now for some games. Fear upgrading will be very expensive!

Doubt i will be buying one but i am liking what i see. i feel that these consoles are getting closer to pc levels and 60fps imo is a huge game changer in the console world. Yes you can build a more powerful pc but at what cost?

You are heading to the laws of diminishing returns. 60 FPS, 4K lag / crash free gaming with Atmos sound and 55”+ gaming experience, what isn’t to like?

Doubt i will be buying one but i am liking what i see. i feel that these consoles are getting closer to pc levels and 60fps imo is a huge game changer in the console world. Yes you can build a more powerful pc but at what cost?

I never understand the cost argument. PC vs gaming/video player.

Maybe I'm just weird for always having a PC in the household.
I only need to add a GPU to game, where the cost is similar to a console but with better performance.

If I could dual boot an OS like Windows or Linux on the new console, I would probably buy one as I like the design.

I never understand the cost argument. PC vs gaming/video player.

Maybe I'm just weird for always having a PC in the household.
I only need to add a GPU to game, where the cost is similar to a console but with better performance.

If I could dual boot an OS like Windows or Linux on the new console, I would probably buy one as I like the design.

i am exactly the same. I have had a media pc in my lounge for over 10 years and so adding a gpu to a machine was always a cheaper option. . also my machines are waaaay prettier than any console albeit, slightly larger.

Nope, I need much more GPU power than a console can offer for VR sim racing, oh and the ability to run VR and plug my sim rig into said unit :p.
Hopefully there will be significant movement on the joke Nvidia GPU prices though!

Pc gamers wont move to consoles. They completely two different things/type of games/ way of playing.

Some ppl will have both just for the exclusives etc
My life circumstances meant I gave up pc gaming (Family man now) and moved to PS4.

Console Games tend to be simple (not setup to run a keyboard etc )but having it in the lounge running on the tv suits us better. Some games nowadays involve family and friends to gather around and have a laugh together compared to sitting on your own chatting to the screen.
Will I get a ps5 .?..Probably.. but not straight away.

The jump in performance (GPU incl. RT, CPU, memory, audio, SSD) with series X is very significant, catching up with many of our current PCs.

To beat this today, allow for the cost of a GPU (still high), CPU (luckily more cores per £ these days), M/B (which have drifted up in price), memory, SSD, case, PSU, etc, all of which must be bought separately without the economies of console integration would add up to 2-3 times Series X cost

Just because a few of us want to stick to PCs doesn't mean many other people won't now decide to jump to consoles. We can only hope that new Nv or AMD GPUs come out with these features (HDMI 2.1) and also cheaper than current ones.

Paying to play online, no VR, no ultrawide monitor support, no upgradability, expensive games, crappy gamepad. Yeah, thanks but no thanks, I'll stick with my PC.

Nope, I need much more GPU power than a console can offer for VR sim racing, oh and the ability to run VR and plug my sim rig into said unit :p.
Hopefully there will be significant movement on the joke Nvidia GPU prices though!

And they still aren't powerful enough :(

I struggle to maintain decent FPS in Assetto Corsa VR with cars on grid. I have gone back to triples for races, when my index arrives it will be used for single player only. Fingers crossed for big gains next gen.

I'm always looking for something that makes a console different to a PC, offers a unique experience. Xbox and Playstation are fine if you just want to play endless first or third-person shooter games, but I find them boring after 20 years, even on a PC.

Some of the best games I've played have been on a lowly Wii. And some of the best experiences I've had have been in VR on a PC. The XBX and PS5 just won't bring anything new to the party I'm afraid - it's all just the same dull crap with better graphics. Whoopee.

And they still aren't powerful enough :(

I struggle to maintain decent FPS in Assetto Corsa VR with cars on grid. I have gone back to triples for races, when my index arrives it will be used for single player only. Fingers crossed for big gains next gen.
I know right, that’s why I’m sticking to the CV1 and 1080Ti, even the 2080Ti isn’t enough. Realistically I want a 1080Ti x4 power wise and/or some sweat foveated rendering on a next-gen headset.

Although I find AC VR performance pretty good even on my older CPU just have to turn down a few settings. I’ve measured my IPD though and it’s confirmed what I suspected when I first got the rift at 75 IPD I need slightly more width.

Given my CPU is now over 8 years old and seen me through to a 3rd console cycle (because consoles are always soooo powerful PCs can’t keep up ;)) I am in need of a full overhaul as I can’t run some games at max with a locked 60fps because of it, I’m looking at you modern Assassins Creed!

The question now is when to jump in, the next round or the one after :cool:.

Back to the question though I don’t think cost really factors into it anymore, PC games are no longer always cheaper and you get similar deals across platforms bar Nintendo. Mid-gen power upgrades also change the landscape some what.

Ultimately with a console you are locked into the performance the dev gives you and the peripherals the console manufacturer allows. On PC your choices are exponentially more as to hardware, performance (higher or lower than consoles), mods, peripherals, software etc. and I don’t think a console will ever give you that freedom as they generally want you locked in.

I’m really surprised with the power of these consoles and the ability to add bluetooth peripherals that world of Warcraft hasn’t been put on consoles, surely wouldn’t be hard to do as pc and Xbox seem to be invariab linked these days.

I’m really surprised with the power of these consoles and the ability to add bluetooth peripherals that world of Warcraft hasn’t been put on consoles, surely wouldn’t be hard to do as pc and Xbox seem to be invariab linked these days.

Its been talked of for years but the simple answer is a console game controller just doesn't provide the functionality of a keyboard and keyboard functionality is essential to play WOW. Yeah you can add a keyboard to a console but most of the console user base use game controllers so it would not be worth the investment to port it onto a console.

Its been talked of for years but the simple answer is a console game controller just doesn't provide the functionality of a keyboard and keyboard functionality is essential to play WOW. Yeah you can add a keyboard to a console but most of the console user base use game controllers so it would not be worth the investment to port it onto a console.
I just think it’s an untapped market release upto latest expansion with a mouse and keyboard for £60 the ability to play that and latest FPS without having to buy a £1k pc would be good.

The RTX2060 is rated 12.9 Terraflops (1750MHz Memory) - assuming the games consoles are picking the largest numbers, so "P16 (half) performance" - but mine is overclocked as standard (TU106-200A-KA-A1 GPU) so I think I'm good at 14.05 Terraflops before I start turning anything up...
(Although what I mostly like about the "MSI RTX 2060 GAMING Z Graphics Card '6GB GDDR6, 1830Hz" is it doesn't run the fans at all until you are gaming... and then it's pretty quiet...)

The RTX2060 is rated 12.9 Terraflops (1750MHz Memory) - assuming the games consoles are picking the largest numbers, so "P16 (half) performance"

The consoles are quoting FP32 compute of which the 2060 has 6.5 tflops. These consoles are in 2080+ territory.

You could flip that to: even playing field; stable platform; very few cheaters; guarantee of compatibility; standard user experience and much cheaper Total Cost of Ownership (some GPUs alone cost 2 -3 x as much as a console) - yes please. :)

It all depends what your perspective is.
PCs have their place.... Consoles have their place. You are right about cheaters but personally given I don't like competitive games and only play coop games with real world mates cheating is not an issue. Online subs IS an issue for me... And paying subs for games does not work for me either. I had a 3 month viveport sub and used it for all of 45mins. I like to own my games (as much as one can with an online service (Nintendo recently took a load of wii games off people just because they no longer wanted to support the platform))

I have a PS4 pro... It's a nice machine with some good games but it barely gets used. Games on PC are cheaper, online play is free and visually multiformat on a PC the games over the lifetime of a console are better (or better frame rates).
OTOH consoles are cheaper up front to buy, offer a decent performance on release, have better optimised games with fewer bugs and less cheating for those who like competitive MP.

There is a place for both. Esp for PlayStation as some of their exclusives are great

But that said.... Really don't believe the pre release rubbish. Maybe this gen will be different but historically prerelease stuff about new consoles have been utter nonsense. Look up the pre release lies about PS2, PS3 or ps4 (and not just sony either but they just make the bigger claims in general )

PC gaming to match or beat a console is not that expensive . My PC from 2015 (all bar GPU) I think will have more grunt than the ps5. My GPU will be lacking raytracing but on everything else I think it will trade blows with the new console..,. And that is already 1 gen out of date (1080ti) **

**CPU and GPU both heavily overclocked something else you can't do on a console.

My GPU will be lacking raytracing but on everything else I think it will trade blows with the new console..,. And that is already 1 gen out of date (1080ti)
The specs released by both SONY and MS are a long way ahead of that. You are looking at more like 2080ti

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom