Question With the power of the new Xbox Series X will you move to a console for gaming?

MartinH32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's tempting. Take away the cost of cheap games on PC's. 12 Terraflops is quite substantial.
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Nah :)

Take away the cost of cheap games on PC's.
–– ADVERTISEMENT –​
Substitute the value of Game Pass so you're still getting a good deal.

No , how ever i will pick up the PS5 tho . ( last of us 2 - with mid to high PC graphix -Yes please )

Take away the cost of cheap games on PC's.
You wouldn't take that away in your decision making though.

PC and PS5 is where i'll be. I'll be getting Game Pass for any Xbox Exclusive. Literally pay pennies for that now. Then also the PS5 for their exclusives.

Not here either, although the new consoles are supposed to be 3700X / RX 5700 XT strength so should be pretty damn good graphically.

Not likely. I MAY get a ps5 one day but I am confident pcvr will be better than console VR even next gen. Also don't want to pay for online MP games.
Finally ...... I won't believe the specs of the consoles till I see them. I am old enough and ugly enough to see the recurring pattern of nonsense every release.

PS2 so powerful it may get banned in some countries as a tool for terrorism.
PS2 so powerful every strand of hair would be modelled in all games.
PS3 the era of the bullshots..... Remember that killzone in game demo or that F1 game ?
PS4 (and probably Xbox 1) the end of 30fps gaming with all games to be 1080p/60
PS4 pro/x1x the era of true 4k gaming.

So I shall wait and see what the next gen actually delivers. (The funny thing despite the above........ I bought a PS2. 2xps3 and a ps4pro so.................. ;)

These consoles will match an average PC for about a year, and then get stuck with outdated hardware for the next 4-6 years. And unless Sony knock it out the park with their next VR version, I think I'll pass thanks.

These consoles will match an average PC for about a year, and then get stuck with outdated hardware for the next 4-6 years. And unless Sony knock it out the park with their next VR version, I think I'll pass thanks.
Will it though? I'm using an RTX2070 Super and based on GPU performance the PS5 will out perform it? For a PC this is quite a high spec card amongst gamers. Of course I know it's more than a GPU that makes a gaming PC, but I would have thought the other components in the new consoles are 'tuned' specifically for gaming?

The 1080ti is more powerful than the new xbox. So when it comes out it's less than three years out of date. Not bad for a console.
by the time the xbox comes out I'll be on the 3080ti. That will make the xbox around 8 years out of date.
There's no reason for anyone with a powerful gaming pc to downgrade to a console.
of course the vast majority of pc gamers have rigs that struggle to better the ps4. So next gen consoles are a cheap way of getting into 4k gaming.
It's got to be the ps5 tho rather than xbox.
I've been playing ps4 Pro again recently with uncharted 4 and they really are good value for money.

The 1080ti is more powerful than the new xbox. So when it comes out it's less than three years out of date. Not bad for a console.
by the time the xbox comes out I'll be on the 3080ti. That will make the xbox around 8 years out of date.
There's no reason for anyone with a powerful gaming pc to downgrade to a console.
of course the vast majority of pc gamers have rigs that struggle to better the ps4. So next gen consoles are a cheap way of getting into 4k gaming.
It's got to be the ps5 tho rather than xbox.
I've been playing ps4 Pro again recently with uncharted 4 and they really are good value for money.

3 years old? What RDNA2 GPU are you comparing this new Xbox Series X too? 1080ti isn't doing ray tracing either.

As usual, utter rubbish.

The new consoles should give you the performance of a current £1000 pc build for nearly half the cost. Or looking at it another way the same price and graphics performance as a 2070 Super but you get a whole system for the same money!

People also get too hung up on tech specs. We have a PS4 and not once do I look at games and think that it's years out of date. Still looks great :smashin:

If the Series X does come out at 12 TF then that's closer to a 2080 Super - but for the same price as a GPU to which we have to add CPU, M/B, Mem, PSU. SSD to play any games. The days of PC games being cheap are gone and with game pass MS prioritises the xbox selection and development.

I'm not looking to move away from PCs but hopefully AMD will take this tech and use it to produce a competitive GPU card - so this plus the impact of PCs looking expensive will spur Nvidia into releasing a top end card at a sensible price for the first time in years.

If the Series X does come out at 12 TF then that's closer to a 2080 Super - but for the same price as a GPU to which we have to add CPU, M/B, Mem, PSU. SSD to play any games. The days of PC games being cheap are gone and with game pass MS prioritises the xbox selection and development.

I'm not looking to move away from PCs but hopefully AMD will take this tech and use it to produce a competitive GPU card - so this plus the impact of PCs looking expensive will spur Nvidia into releasing a top end card at a sensible price for the first time in years.
That's a really sensible response to this.

One thing to remember regarding the TFlop figures is that nVidia cards aren't really comparable with AMD cards and thus the consoles. For example the RTX2070 Super is capable of just over 9TFlops where as the RX5700XT is rated at just under 10TFlops. While in general terms across a broad range of titles the nVidia cards is considerably faster (and more expensive), despite it's apparent lack of Flops.

Back to the main question, XSX is not for me. By the time it's released we should have new nVidia cards and hopefully RDNA2 cards from AMD. The CPU in the XSX will likely be mildly clocked 8 core 16 thread Zen 2, so nothing a decent PC can't compare with.

As others have said I might consider a PS5 for the exclusives.

The info I was reading were looking at AMD to AMD Tflops (and the new 50% more perf/watt figure) to estimate how much faster a new AMD card could be than an older AMD one. Then use that to compare with NV - so if a 2080Ti is now 135% of a 5700XT in game fps and the new AMD is 50% faster than 5700XT in AMD Tflops it would push ahead of the 2080TI in fps

No way the new consoles will have 50% perf/ watt improvement over NAVI1 as they are both 7nm.

To clarify RDNA2 will be 50% perf per watt over RDNA 1 - this is now stated by AMD but was hardly a surprise if they've managed to produce a 12TF series X in a console power and price bracket . These are tech comparisons, GPU to GPU, console to console, not mix and match.

But with these AMD to AMD improvements there's a really good chance of a competitive AMD GPU this year which adds pressure on NV to deliver - if the availability of a console for under £500 that'll beat PCs with GPUs up to 2080 wasnt going to be enough.

RNDA 1 was already 50% greater perf/watt than GCN so RDNA 2 would be 125% greater than GCN

AMD have been saying they are going to release a high end card to beat Nvidia for years. Eventually it will be their year just like Liverpool :laugh:

AMD have been saying they are going to release a high end card to beat Nvidia for years. Eventually it will be their year just like Liverpool :laugh:
Agreed. AMD have a GPU history of being big on performance hype, and then releasing a room heater. Just when they've almost caught up the midrange Nvidia cards, Nvidia releases something that puts them back 2 generations again.

I wish they would leapfrog Nvidia like they've done with Intel, I really do. But I just don't see it happening anytime soon given the lead the green team still have. Still, I hope to be surprised.

The new consoles should give you the performance of a current £1000 pc build for nearly half the cost. Or looking at it another way the same price and graphics performance as a 2070 Super but you get a whole system for the same money!

People also get too hung up on tech specs. We have a PS4 and not once do I look at games and think that it's years out of date. Still looks great :smashin:

Agreed.. but I do think the Ps4 graphics are in need of a big upgrade.
Compared to a good pc, new games look dated. Still good gameplay on it though 😁

I was looking at getting one, just for the Blu-ray player (as don't have one at the moment). I still have an AMD 290X which is getting a bit long in the tooth, but kind of waiting for a VR experience.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom