Question With the power of the new Xbox Series X will you move to a console for gaming?

psikey

Distinguished Member
I just signed up for the Game Pass Ultimate for £1 for the month and realised I don't need an XSX as it looks like I can just download and play on my 2080Ti PC.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something. I don't need online gaming. For XSX titles going forward and many older ones too.

Sandman

Distinguished Member
I dont get why you’d by the Xbox when you could just use nvidia tv shield tbh?
Only because I have no idea what an nvidia shield is or what it would do for me? Would it let me play my pc games on the TV in a different room? What resolution would it be in? My PC won’t manage 4K.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I just signed up for the Game Pass Ultimate for £1 for the month and realised I don't need an XSX as it looks like I can just download and play on my 2080Ti PC.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something. I don't need online gaming. For XSX titles going forward and many older ones too.
Yep. Been playing f1 2019 from the game pass. Plenty of offers on HUKD for ultimate as well. Mine runs out next December (2021) through stacking codes

psikey

Distinguished Member
Yep. Been playing f1 2019 from the game pass. Plenty of offers on HUKD for ultimate as well. Mine runs out next December (2021) through stacking codes
So every game for the XSX is going to be on the PC going forward ? Just not all the old catalogue from 360/One ? If so, looks like just my PS5 pre-order to keep for the exclusives.

I saw about the stacking but £11.99/month seems worth it anyway. Can even play some games on my Samsung S10! Don't have any XBOX so wasn't sure if I need one for the HDUK trick and only £1 to try it out.

Last edited:

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
A good alternative is also picking up an Xbox one and using it as a wireless display. The integration means the Xbox one controller phases through to the that pc. There's a tummy bit of latency involved but if you aren't paying twitchy shooters it tends to get useable.

I bought an Nvidia shield from the US before UK release for that reason, so feel I can answer what bothers me having used it for years.

1) Still streams using h264, not h265
2) HDR is very sketchy, you'll either need a HDR monitor or EDID emulator, you only need to look at the forums to see how many bodges there are to get it to work
3) No rumble (not using that awful 2nd gen controller)
4) XSX supports Dolby Vision, doubt GS ever will
5) No VRR/Gsync
6) Really needs a wired connection for good connection/latency (AV2 is a must for ethernet over power)
7) Doesn't look as good as local, it never will
8) Literally dead - very few updates and half the time you need to add mstsc.exe and stream to desktop before launching games

For me, I don't get why you would gamestream to a HDMI 2.1 TV.

I actually plan to stream my Xbox to my PC now, weird how things work out.

Edit: I will say however it is hands down the best way to stream PC to TV, just a shame it is so outdated now and will need a new Shield revision to make it viable again.

Last edited:
Only because I have no idea what an nvidia shield is or what it would do for me? Would it let me play my pc games on the TV in a different room? What resolution would it be in? My PC won’t manage 4K.
If you have an android device like a firestick you can try an app called Moonlight, will do the same.

If it works well and you want a better version, you can then buy an Nvidia Shield TV.

It streams at whatever resolution you set it to. I wouldn't recommend it if you have a top of the line TV like an OLED, but it's great for streaming to bedroom 1080p TV's and non HDR displays.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
So every game for the XSX is going to be on the PC going forward ? Just not all the old catalogue from 360/One ? If so, looks like just my PS5 pre-order to keep for the exclusives.

I saw about the stacking but £11.99/month seems worth it anyway. Can even play some games on my Samsung S10! Don't have any XBOX so wasn't sure if I need one for the HDUK trick and only £1 to try it out.
Not entirely sure which games will be added. Hoping RDR2 will be on again soon and available on PC

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
With Microsoft acquiring Zenimax its certainly going to get interesting and Game Pass is going to look even more value for money!

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Well, knowing what MS are up to in all their spaces, Sony had better prey it can keep its few exclusives as MS will without doubt dominate the gaming space in the very near future.

Add to that the ability to lease your console effectively, getting the latest model every 2-3 years for the same monthly price, they’ve got the economy bang on.

Mr Fring

So y won’t lose their exclusives as they own the IPs. What they need to do is keep the quality of their output at the level it’s been. It works for Nintendo so it can work for Sony.

Moves like this make me feel even more vindicated in my decision to move from console gaming to PC.

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
So y won’t lose their exclusives as they own the IPs. What they need to do is keep the quality of their output at the level it’s been. It works for Nintendo so it can work for Sony.

Moves like this make me feel even more vindicated in my decision to move from console gaming to PC.
Perhaps..

On the other side of the coin they could or should also consider the poor monopoly they’re trying to create, and audience they may never capture, by tying their games to a single piece of hardware. They could instead focus on becoming a cross platform gaming developer, and outright competitor on the hardware front. Throughout this entire thread, most people have said they are ONLY buying the PS5’s for exclusives. Imagine how many haven’t that would love to play these great games. Look at how much money Activition has made making a game as strong as COD cross platform.

Exclusives are dieing game and short sighted play in my opinion. Microsoft are becoming the outright Netflix of gaming, while Sony seem to be stuck in their ways.

Nintendo is an interesting one though, I’m intrigued what either console are trying to do to attack their market.

Mr Fring

Perhaps..

On the other side of the coin they could or should also consider the poor monopoly they’re trying to create, and audience they may never capture, by tying their games to a single piece of hardware. They could instead focus on becoming a cross platform gaming developer, and outright competitor on the hardware front. Throughout this entire thread, most people have said they are ONLY buying the PS5’s for exclusives. Imagine how many haven’t that would love to play these great games. Look at how much money Activition has made making a game as strong as COD cross platform.

Exclusives are dieing game and short sighted play in my opinion. Microsoft are becoming the outright Netflix of gaming, while Sony seem to be stuck in their ways.

Nintendo is an interesting one though, I’m intrigued what either console are trying to do to attack their market.
I see this argument a lot in regards to Sony but doesn’t the same thing apply to Nintendo? Where else can play Mario, Zelda, and Metroid apart from on Nintendo consoles. Being stuck in their ways isn’t stopping them selling a shed load of consoles and software.

I’m failing to understand the monopoly argument when people feel they are locked out from playing Sony titles on anything other then a Sony console. Sony first and foremost are a hardware company so the more consoles they can sell the more money they make, the best way for them to get people to buy consoles is by having games you can’t buy anywhere else.

Not being on Gamepass won’t see games like COD, GTA, and FIFA selling millions. The moment these games do switch over to a subscription service is the time we can all say that it’s the future in my opinion.

If the market evolves and Gamepass becomes the way we all consume games Nintendo and Sony have a more then compelling catalogue for people to jump in when they set up their own competing services.

Also in regards to exclusives dying. US data YTD shows a different story.

uncleclives

Was going to get a PS5 but the announcement of Microsoft buying Bethesda has changed my plan. I'll now wait see how the land lies into next year. Most likely just put the money towards building a new rig instead.

Current biggest problem is deciding if to buy Cyberpunk 2077 for the PS4 pro or my modest PC with a RX570 4GB!

anlygi

I'm going the opposite way. I've started collecting components to build my first gaming PC since about 2004! :D The last one had a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 and a Geforce 6800 (shows how long ago it was), built for Half-Life 2. I'm holding off on the big ticket items though. Whilst I think I have settled on a Ryzen 7 3700X, I want to hold off to see what Zen 3 brings and if not going for one, hoping for greater discounts on the 3700X. I also have to face the likely madness of obtaining the 3070 GPU I'm planning on getting. With the price/performance ratio I suspect they will be even harder to get hold of than the 3080.

I'll pick up a PS5 in a year or two for the exclusives though, once they release a black or limited edition console that won't stick out like a sore thumb in my media room. Series X doesn't make much sense to me if I'm building a half decent PC. I have both a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X and subscribed to Gamepass Ultimate into 2022 as well, which I can use on PC too of course.

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
So I guess by now you’ve all heard Microsoft’s latest acquisition.

Mark my words, this is the last generation of consoles as we know it. Moving ahead in 3/5 years, there will no longer be exclusives, instead if will be a game pass/Netflix/sky style service where you have the option of more expensive packages which comes with higher end consoles.

PC gaming is still safe!

anlygi

So I guess by now you’ve all heard Microsoft’s latest acquisition.

Mark my words, this is the last generation of consoles as we know it. Moving ahead in 3/5 years, there will no longer be exclusives, instead if will be a game pass/Netflix/sky style service where you have the option of more expensive packages which comes with higher end consoles.

PC gaming is still safe!
I have tried PS Now, X-Cloud on my phone just this week and Geforce Now on my laptop and the latency is very obvious on fast games to the point of making them unplayable for me with 200Mbit broadband and low ping time. I don't know anyone silly enough to have Google Stadia so don't know what it's like in comparison to the others I mentioned. If they can ever sort that out then we are genuinely in the streaming games era. Then of course there's the issue of broadband provision. Even in a developed country like the UK, a large portion of the population still can't get fibre. Same in the USA with millions living in rural areas. Saying that, you can have 5Gbit internet but it's still not going to be good enough to stream games if you can't get rid of the latency. High ping times have caused issues with regular gaming since online gaming became a thing and still do. If it was easy to fix it would have been done so by now, there are too many factors to make it reliable.

Microsoft is certainly positioning themselves to be THE Netflix of gaming. They have the finanial clout, technical expertise and are certainly building a large portfolio of first-party studios. When that day comes Microsoft will be laughing.

EDIT: I have just realised you may have been talking about a subscription model rather than streaming :facepalm:

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
EDIT: I have just realised you may have been talking about a subscription model rather than streaming :facepalm:
Yep haha.

Streaming is too reliant on internet speeds, there’s still plenty of places that can’t even get reliable standard broadband so they’d be cutting an arm off on that model.
That’s why a sky style model where you can choose your box for a different premium fits the model perfectly, the fact they’re already doing the model using game pass ultimate to include either the series S or X with different monthly costs shows that. Not to mention, notice the “series” in the name, that implies something.. they’re one of a series of models.. on the Xbox “experience”, wait for the series y in 2 years time, with larger hdd space and a minor graphics upgrade, yours for free at the same monthly cost of your current package... or downgrade your package to normal game pass. You choose!

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Yep haha.

Streaming is too reliant on internet speeds, there’s still plenty of places that can’t even get reliable standard broadband so they’d be cutting an arm off on that model.
You need to think outside the UK. My friend in Norway has 1GBpS fibre, with 500mbps 5G and free charging for EV. The UK is 10 years behind the majority of Europe with infrastructure, especially broadband. And we are quite small as well

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
You need to think outside the UK. My friend in Norway has 1GBpS fibre, with 500mbps 5G and free charging for EV. The UK is 10 years behind the majority of Europe with infrastructure, especially broadband. And we are quite small as well
We are probably still in the top 5 countries by technology sales so not that small

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
Disagree, most of rural France can’t get internet more that 15mbps, likewise most non main city Europe.
Know nothing about America but I’d bet a pretty penny all the many millions of people in some sleepy town between cities don’t have that either. Microsoft will base on maximum market capture, not the select few who live in city centres.

Not to mention Norway has a population of 5 million to our 68+ million, you have to think relative. We probably have over 5 million residents with both 5g and gigabit capabilities, and most service stations have EV charging now... doesn’t mean it scratches the surface of our wider country.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Microsoft will base on maximum market capture, not the select few who live in city centres.

Not to mention Norway has a population of 5 million to our 68+ million, you have to think relative. We probably have over 5 million residents with both 5g and gigabit capabilities, and most service stations have EV charging now... doesn’t mean it scratches the surface of our wider country.
Select few? A quarter of the UK live in well established urban areas. Hell, even on the outskirts of a major Lancashire town virgin can offer 500mbps broadband. Yes, the rural population has been let down. But the majority of the UK has decently brought speeds
As for the UK and 5G, when I was in Norway near Favang in 2016, my 3G speed was quicker than my 4G speed in the UK.
Let's compare London to Oslo. How many people in London have 1GBpS fibre? Is there actually anywhere in the UK that has 500mbps mobile Internet? No.
As for EV charging, I am talking city centre capital (Oslo) free parking and charging. Yes, most service stations have EV charging, but unless you own a Tesla, they are expensive, mind free

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Best TVs of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Top Bottom