Question With the power of the new Xbox Series X will you move to a console for gaming?

caz2005

Silly question maybe but if you're playing an xbox game on PC can you play with someone on your friends list if they're on console?

duncfunk

This is actually hilarious

everett_psycho

Distinguished Member
The new rtx 3060 ti is a very compelling case for me to go more in on PC gaming over the Xbox next year. Currently sporting a lowly Rx 570 and old 3570k both of which are getting tired. I know replacing the board ram cpu and GPU will be pricey but I think I'll have to wait and see what my other half decides to do for work as she needs the pc so an upgrade is an easier sell. Could always use the old Xbox one s digital to play on the TV using the wireless display app and keep up 1080p fully ray traced games at reasonable fps according to the 3060 reviews.

duncfunk

This thread went very quiet after actual benchmarks came out showing that they do indeed, perform between 2080 super - 2080ti territory. The PS5 is also outperforming the XBox despite the more teraflops marketing used before release. They certainly do seem to be a great option at the minute when pitted against over-priced gpu's. Of course that will all change by sometime next year but the value proposition is great right now.

Mr Fring

This thread went very quiet after actual benchmarks came out showing that they do indeed, perform between 2080 super - 2080ti territory. The PS5 is also outperforming the XBox despite the more teraflops marketing used before release. They certainly do seem to be a great option at the minute when pitted against over-priced gpu's. Of course that will all change by sometime next year but the value proposition is great right now.
Overpriced GPU's? The 30 series and 6800's are offering really good performance for the price. So I don't know how you can call them overpriced. Consoles aren't matching the FPS or graphical fidelity of these high end cards under any circumstances. That's even before you factor in Ray Tracing which is around RTX 2060 levels.

So it's a no brainer really if you can afford it your always going to get the best experience on a well specced PC.

duncfunk

Overpriced GPU's? The 30 series and 6800's are offering really good performance for the price. So I don't know how you can call them overpriced.
Compared to what, Turing? I don't see much value there when a single GPU costs more than an entire gaming system.

Consoles aren't matching the FPS or graphical fidelity of these high end cards under any circumstances.
Of course they aren't. You're comparing a £500 system to a £700 graphics card. What's the total cost a of system built around a 3080, £1500? From a price to performance perspective the consoles destroy the current pc market. That will only normalise when the next generation of gpu's are released.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
This thread went very quiet after actual benchmarks came out showing that they do indeed, perform between 2080 super - 2080ti territory
Which benchmarks exactly? How do you benchmark 2 different systems.
So you are telling me, the PS5 can play PUBG at 144hz at 1080p like the 2080 Super at the equivalent of Ultra?
Considering the AMD 6800 built on RDNA2 which draws more power than the PS5 on its own can just match it, I doubt this claim

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Compared to what, Turing? I don't see much value there when a single GPU costs more than an entire gaming system.
Do you have a computer at home? If so what? A pretty rubbish desktop from currys will set you back £600. So add another £500 for the PS5 and you have a £1100 gaming and PC setup.
Which would get you a 3080 setup with the FE.

Grangey.

Distinguished Member
You’re still comparing apples with grapes.

You said it yourself “PS5 comes close to 2080ti”.. well great, but close isn’t everything. 3060ti seems to exceed the 2080ti performance, will give you higher frames than the PS5 as I understand it, better ray tracing performance, but never to be underestimated in this argument: a single component upgrade path! You can’t upgrade the PS5, that’s it mate, that’s yours graphics for the next 5 years. 3060ti owners can upgrade to a 3080 for a few hundred in the future, or to the latest 40 series cards, and massively overtake PS5 performance. This gives the pc a lower cost of owenership against graphic performance relatively.

Then you don’t consider game prices, which are cheaper on pc than on console- where do you think a big cut of that price difference on console games go? Yep, back to the platform. Oh wait, then you still need to pay to access online services... etc etc.

The PS5 is fantastic value, I’ll never not give it its dues, but we all know they are sold at a loss.. why do you think that is? PCs arent, so you pay the margin upfront rather than hidden away and ultimately pay for the privilege of having market leading consumer tech.

duncfunk

Do you have a computer at home? If so what? A pretty rubbish desktop from currys will set you back £600. So add another £500 for the PS5 and you have a £1100 gaming and PC setup.
Which would get you a 3080 setup with the FE.
My system is in my sig. I'm not sure how the Currys system factors into this discussion? If it's being used as a general purpose pc then there are Ryzen apu based systems available for £300.

£1100 doesn't even get you much past the cpu (8-core £300) and motherboard (£100 budget motherboard) when added to the £650 3080.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
it's being used as a general purpose pc then there are Ryzen apu based systems available for £300.
Where?
Your average Joe will likely head into Currys and buy whatever the sales guy throws at them. They'll even probably throw in " it plays fortnite" to keep little Johnny happy

duncfunk

You’re still comparing apples with grapes.
I'm comparing a gaming console to a gaming pc.

You said it yourself “PS5 comes close to 2080ti”.. well great, but close isn’t everything. 3060ti seems to exceed the 2080ti performance, will give you higher frames than the PS5 as I understand it, better ray tracing performance, but never to be underestimated in this argument: a single component upgrade path!
A 3060ti is on par with a 2080 Super so would give similar performance to the consoles. A 3060ti upgrade assumes a buyer already has a pc.

You can’t upgrade the PS5, that’s it mate, that’s yours graphics for the next 5 years. 3060ti owners can upgrade to a 3080 for a few hundred in the future, or to the latest 40 series cards, and massively overtake PS5 performance. This gives the pc a lower cost of owenership against graphic performance relatively.
If a pc owner does upgrade once then you're likely to be at a figure of 4 times the price of the PS5. You'll probably be able upgrade to a PS5 Pro or PS6 for a few hundred too.

Then you don’t consider game prices, which are cheaper on pc than on console- where do you think a big cut of that price difference on console games go? Yep, back to the platform. Oh wait, then you still need to pay to access online services... etc etc.
PC games are cheaper yes but that's a lot of games to make up the price difference. That argument will also become less relevant with subscription based models on the rise. PC is headed this way too.

duncfunk

Where?
Your average Joe will likely head into Currys and buy whatever the sales guy throws at them. They'll even probably throw in " it plays fortnite" to keep little Johnny happy
If that's the argument them your average joe will also buy their 3080 gaming pc from Currys for the princely sum of £1799!

Delvey

Distinguished Member

Mr Fring

Of course they aren't. You're comparing a £500 system to a £700 graphics card. What's the total cost a of system built around a 3080, £1500? From a price to performance perspective the consoles destroy the current pc market. That will only normalise when the next generation of gpu's are released.
Individual circumstance but for me an upgrade to 3080 cost me just shy of £400 after I sold my old GPU. So for the cost of a next gen console I’ve got a system that runs rings around them. See that’s the beauty of PC gaming, there is an upgrade path which doesn’t exist for consoles.

A lot of people that are buying these GPU’s will be doing it from a base point of already having a system so the cost isn’t going to be stupidly high.

Have you got anything comparable to high end PC to base your claims on? 140 high refresh rate, native 4K, Multi monitor support, cheaper game prices, superior ray tracing and DLSS, are things your not getting on consoles. Factor in that high end PC can be used for much more then gaming blows your ‘value’ argument out the water?

I say this as someone who has been a console gamer for decades and will probably end up getting a PS5 at some point. I can also guarantee you that this thread hasn’t gone quiet because PC gamers are cowering in fear of the mighty graphical prowess of the next gen consoles.
I would like to see this too.

Mr Fring

This thread went very quiet after actual benchmarks came out showing that they do indeed, perform between 2080 super - 2080ti territory.
The below video shows the Series X performing around 2060 Super levels with RT...at 30fps. So yep comparable to a 2080 Super. Think that’s your argument put to bed.

kav

Distinguished Member
Worth noting that the dev tools for the Series X were late and sub-par, so the capability of the hardware hasn't really been revealed yet. While consoles will never replicate a PC experience (that's not really what they're about), this generation looks set to be the closest to PC-standard we've ever seen (perhaps barring the 360 when it first came out).

I have to say, one game-changer for me is the quick resume feature on the Series X - I can turn it on and be playing any of the last 5-10 games I've played within 30 seconds. When my time is limited, that is an absolute joy. I'm sure the PS5 performs similarly, though I won't be picking one up for a while. That particular feature makes the process for playing games on PC feel positively archaic.

The other big factor is of course bang for buck, and for the money the consoles are absolutely incredible - the fact that they are even capable of being anywhere close to PC components costing several times their price is incredible for the customer.

duncfunk

I can also guarantee you that this thread hasn’t gone quiet because PC gamers are cowering in fear of the mighty graphical prowess of the next gen consoles.
I put that original post as there were several comments previously in this thread saying that there would be no way the consoles would be anywhere near the performance they are.

The below video shows the Series X performing around 2060 Super levels with RT...at 30fps. So yep comparable to a 2080 Super. Think that’s your argument put to bed.
You put a benchmark of one of the worst optimised games currently released and with ray tracing on. One cherry picked result hardly puts the argument to bed. There are some good videos from Digital Foundry and NX gamer showing the performance of both consoles.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
I put that original post as there were several comments previously in this thread saying that there would be no way the consoles would be anywhere near the performance they are.

You put a benchmark of one of the worst optimised games currently released and with ray tracing on. One cherry picked result hardly puts the argument to bed. There are some good videos from Digital Foundry and NX gamer showing the performance of both consoles.
Exactly a poorly optimised game that should hit over 100 fps on a 2080 super with Raytracing on but doesn't

@kav I disagree with you, its more like 10 seconds., and the PS5 doesnt have quick resume- but the last game you played on PS5 can be access quickly if you haven't powered it off, so similar to last gen.

Joking aside your right its something I just cannot compare to my PC - who would have thought that is would be such stand out, press button count to 10, game is up and I am in just were I left off.

Mr Fring

So you’ll be playing you games without Ray Tracing then. I thought the purpose of this new Gen was 4K and Raytracing??

Watch Dogs is poorly optimised on the PC too so it makes little difference. It shows the type of gap you’ll be dealing with which is only going to widen as the gen progresses. So three years from now you’ll be spending another £400+ on a PS5 pro that might match a 3 year old 3070.

Also it takes me 2 minutes from a cold start to get into a game running off a gen 3 nvme, it might not be as quick as the next gen consoles but it’s hardly slow.

I find it funny that console only gamers always find the need to justify their purchases by talking about value vs PC.

Last edited:

duncfunk

So you’ll be playing you games without Ray Tracing then. I thought the purpose of this new Gen was 4K and Raytracing??
There are only around 20 games that currently support ray tracing. Until the hardware and software can support it properly it's just a marketing gimmick.

I find it funny that console only gamers always find the need to justify their purchases by talking about value vs PC.
Not sure who you're referring to as I'm a pc gamer myself. I also find it strange that you wouldn't want to discuss value as it's the biggest strength of the new consoles. My whole point today has been that the consoles are currently far better value than pcs for gaming. Obviously if you buy a top end gaming pc it will be better. That's a bit of a non-argument. There are plenty of people who either cannot afford or who have no desire to spend £500+ on a graphics card.

Also it takes me 2 minutes from a cold start to get into a game running off a gen 3 nvme, it might not be as quick as the next gen consoles but it’s hardly slow.
its just not the same thing,, pick up a controller press the button as I walk to the sofa its turns the TV and the Amp for me, half loaded before my backside hits the sofa. play for a few minutes press the button shuts down everything done. I have a family and am busy and this makes it worth playing for a few minutes at a time, my PC is fast to start also but not like this.

I have never wanted something on my gaming PC that was on my consoles in terms of features before, but this is something Microsoft should really consider implementing.

I know it doesn't sound like a long time 2 mins compared 10 seconds to load but its a complete .. sigh.. sorry about this... "game changer" - its astounding really.

I cannot remember how many times over the last 20 years I have read the points your making and your right on many things but you cannot take price out of the equation, gaming PC are crap value compared to consoles, Value is not why I have one. I send around £500 a year give or take on my PC hardware on average, I don't save £500 on cheaper games per year on my PC to make up for it.

There is no convincing people who really like one side but not the other that one is better than the their favourite, never has been. But I will say that I really enjoy my Xbox series X and it has enabled me to spend more time gaming which I really didn't expect. If your not prepared to spend £1500+ on a gaming PC a console right now its really going to give you a good experience at £450

So which is the best game - the one I get time to play, wish I had pre-ordered Cyberpunk on the xbox instead of the PC now.

Last edited:

Delvey

Distinguished Member
its just not the same thing,, pick up a controller press the button as I walk to the sofa its turns the TV and AMP on for me, half loaded before my backside hits the sofa. play for a few minutes press the button shuts down everything done. I have a family and am busy and this makes it worth playing for a few minutes at a time, my PC is fast to start also but not like this.

I have never wanted something on my gaming PC that was on my consoles in terms of features before, but this is something Microsoft should really consider implementing.

I know it doesn't sound like a long time 2 mins compared 10 seconds to load but its a complete .. sigh.. sorry about this... "game changer" - its astounding really.

I cannot remember how many times over the last 20 years I have read the points your making and your right on many things but you cannot take price out of the equation, gaming PC are crap value compared to consoles, Value is not why I have one. I send around £500 a year give or take on my PC hardware on average, I don't save £500 on cheaper games per year on my PC to make up for it.

There is no convincing people who really like one side but not the other that one is better than the their favourite, never has been. But I will say that I really enjoy my Xbox series X and it has enabled me to spend more time gaming which I really didn't expect. If your not prepared to spend £1500+ on a gaming PC a console right now its really going to give you a good experience at £450

So which is the best game - the one I get time to play, wish I had pre-ordered Cyberpunk on the xbox instead of the PC now.
Valid points
But I use my PC for more than gaming
I use it for photo and video editing
Word processing
Presentations
Computer aided design
Computational fluid dynamics
Stress analysis.
Yes. The majority of people won't need to do any of the above.
As for turning it on, starting a game etc etc
This can all be setup easily. And my PC can be in PUBG in less than 2 minutes. Takes a lot longer on my xbox
Oh. And I just paid £20 for cyberpunk on PC

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett