Question With my budget, is buying a new sub worth it?

Lee456

Novice Member
Hi all,

I've got a slight dilemma. About three years ago, I sought to break out of the 'ultra low end' of the home cinema bracket, and purchase a system that would make a difference. Budget was still a key driver, and after some research I purchased the Onkyo HT-S5405 for £400.

Unfortunately, and mysteriously related to a visit by some workmen on the same day, the subwoofer with this system appears to have died. There is a constant quiet thumping sound emitted when it's powered on (even when disconnected from my receiver).

So I'm currently listening to a five-speaker setup only.

I cannot find a like-for-like replacement subwoofer, and I'm reluctant to purchase it as part of a speaker/sub package since my speakers appear fundamentally fine.

For a budget of £200-300, is there a consensus of whether this is enough to purchase a subwoofer to hook into the system that would make a worthwhile difference? I don't want to fall into the same trap of when I bought my 'ultra low end' system (Sony Blu-ray player & two speakers) where I was told I may as well not have bothered with the speaker element. And I don't have a broad range of experience at all of home cinema systems where I know that yes, a subwoofer is definitely worth having, even at this price range.

Alternatively, I'd also be interested if the £200-300 could be spent in a better way on my system?

Thoughts and advice gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

Lee456

Novice Member
Hi all,

Apologies for my delayed reply. I really appreciate the responses - as a result, a new sub will be arriving soon :)

Thanks again,

Lee

Trending threads

Top Bottom