With a Sub do you set bookshelf speakers to LARGE or SMALL??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nero0410, Jan 12, 2008.

1. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Just messing about with my sub (before getting a new one, as it's only a gale storm)

I have been reading the sub woofer setup guides for surround systems for films etc....

I have had my speakers set to large since I started using home cinema equiptment, however a lot of guides seem to tell you to set them to small unless they are full range speakers.

I only have
    mission 772 for fronts
    mission 77c centre
    Mordaunt short ms20 (or whatever they are) dipoles for rear
    along with the gale storm.

The guides that I read talked a lot about hz and khz which I dont really underastand.

Basically will I achieve better effects if I set the speakers to small?
    If so, do I set the frequency knob on the rear of the sub to full?

Thanks

tris

2. atr1981

atr1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    You need to set the range on the su bto full to let all the frequencies through.

I don't know what amp you have but mine is set to small.

You then set the crossover frequency in the amp itself, 80Hz is usually the good starting point. That will let everything from 80Hz and up to your speakers, leaving your sub to do anything it can below that.

3. CasDon

CasDon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    If you set the speakers to large then the amp will direct some of the LF to the speakers.
    When set to small all the LF is sent to the sub.

So unless your speakers have a frequency range that will handle frequencies lower that 80Hz you'll be better off setting them to small and letting the subwoofer handle it.

4. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    The large setting is for speakers that go below 80hz. It has nothing to do with their size (although it obviously has an effect!).

5. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have Mission 734i Fronts and 77c centre and this week ready the same info on changing the settings to Small and have to say it has transformed how the whole setup sounds (for the better of course!). The Sub (Velodyne CHT-10) is set to take 80Hz and lower and it's given the whole sound a much better roundness and punch.

End of the day, it' a case of trying it and seeing how it works with your setup... but certainly worth a try!

6. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Setting it to full seems to be 180hz on mine
    The amp I got is a Sony str-de677, but I haven't been happy with the sound lately so I have a Yamaha DSP-AX750SE on the way to me.(had yamaha before rxv800RDS, and loved the sound from that, so hope the new to me one gives the same feel.)

Not sure about the yamaha yet, but I have no option to set the frequency response for the sub on the sony.

Not sure if this is right what I'm reading, but it says:
    freq. response +&-3db = 60hz-20khz
    and
    LF response -6db = 52hz
    No idea what it all means, I cant start to understand this hz stuff, it's like my brain turning off, or just putting a plate of spinage in front of me and expecting for me to eat it, it aint happening :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if they do or not, as explained above. It just all looks jibberish to me.

I had a go changeing all the speakers to small tonight, and was pleasently suprised with the results even though the sub is only a gale storm (though I think I must change it sometime this year, can only budget up to about £100, so gotta be very lucky and buy second hand)
    I definately found things a lot punchier, and I think I heard some lfe in Deep Impact, that I never heard before (though I may be wrong, been a long time since I watched it)

tris

7. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    People have mentioned that speakers that go under 80Hz should be set to large. Actually, that figure is much lower. The actual rule is if your speakers can go below 35Hz FAITHFULLY (i.e. withotu rolloing off appreciably) OR as low as the sub, then they should be set to small.

I.e. Set to large if they can reach well below 35Hz or if they can match your sub for low end.

8. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Though I wouldnt know if they could go below 35hz as I don't understand the paperwork :(

tris

9. Lee_JTD

Lee_JTD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Your speakers only go down to 60hz. I appriciate that doesnt mean much to you so i'll explain it a different way.

By setting the speakers to 'large' they have to do all the frequencies including the bass. By doing this your amp has to work harder.

By setting the speakers 'small' the bass goes to the subwoofer, the speakers are then free to do all the sounds apart from the bass.

In your setup setting the speakers to 'small' will make it sound better.

HTH

EDIT: ive just looked at your new amp and it had a microphone for auto setup. you will just need to put the mic where you will be sitting and it will adjust all the settings for you :) if it sets your speakers to 'large' then it may be worth changing that setting to 'small' to see if you prefer it

10. Cable Monkey

Cable Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Right, we are getting into the realms of theory here and some of what has been said is about peoples preferences and not about what was in the minds of the engineers that designed the amps. Small and Large on an amp is about frequency response so where satellites don't go deep enough the sub will do its share. However, when you have a really good sub like Jonmurgies velodyne you should consider setting to small because if your sub is good, you want to take advantage of that regardless of the size or response of your speakers. Nero410, the response figures show that down to 60hz your speakers are -3dB (half power) and -6dB at 52hz. That means you could set your speakers to large and only direct LFE to the sub. Or you could put the amp in control, set the speakers to small and direct anything below your chosen frequency cut off (normally 80HZ) plus the LFE to the sub. You need to try both settings because the sub might sound better, it might not. I have no experience of Gales. Just remember that FunkeyMonkeys statement has to be put in context. It is about going deep and bass quality. I may well opt to lose some depth in order to maintain fidelity!:)

Remember, buy the best sub you can afford!

11. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Thanks for the replies, I think I have more of an understanding now-ish:rolleyes:

As it stands with this amp, it does seem to sound better having the missions etc.... set to small, though I have only tried the theory with one film so far, so It would probably be best to wait for the yamaha to get here wednesday and go from there.

I'll probably be back (yet again) after getting the yammy if I require more advice, and always check back here anyway if theres more advice going.

Thanks

tris