1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

With £3300 to spend....

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by AndyDDD, Jan 27, 2004.

1. AndyDDD

AndyDDD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,
    I keep changing my mind as to how I should upgrade.
    Currently have a 42" Tosh RPTV. I have an old Sony amp that also could do with 'upgrading'

I demoed the Infocus ScreenPlay 5700 at 7oaks and was very impressed. My options are...
    1. Get an Infocus 5700 + Manual Screen for about £300.
    2. Get a different Projector for around £2000, get a nice Yamaha RVX1400 amp and a good screen.
    3. Get a projector such as the ScreenPlay 4800, the Yamaha amp, a nice new sub, a couple of extra speakers (for 7.1) and some better cables and possibly get a Sharp LCD 22" for daytime TV.

Please can anyone help me decide.

thanks,
    Andy

2. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Andy,

It sounds like you're not really decided. Wish I had £3,500 to spare! I'll offer the following comments though...

1) If you plump for a DLP projector, you must demo it to ensure that you are not affected by the rainbow effect. The Screenplay 4800 has a much slower colour wheel than the 5700 IIRC.

2) There aren't many PJs at the £2,000 level which I would consider. Actually, only the Sony HS20 springs to mind. I'm not interested in lower end DLP at the moment.

3) You need to demo PJs in the sub-£3,000 category. Only then will you know if you can live without the 5700. BTW, as I'm sure you know, the 5700 is much brighter than most PJs. This may or not be an issue for you.

4) Are you unhappy with the sound your system is producing? Or are you missing that big screen experience? Decide what is more important, a PJ or a new sound system and sort that out first. You don't have to spend it all at once!!!

HTH,
    Joel

3. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I have the 5700 and am very happy with it. It replaced the Panasonic PTAE100 in my system and is a class apart in terms of sheer picture quality, with no visible screendoor, and vibrant colours. I don't have a light controlled room, so the extra brightness is most welcome.
    I'm now moving on to amps.
    I believe getting the best one can afford of each component works best for me, otherwise I would never stop upgrading!!
    That said, I did trial the PJ experience with the panny, so perhaps I don't follow my own advice.
    BTW I can see rainbows if I really look for them on the 5700, but this involves looking quickly between the PJ and the screen. In normal use they do not appear at all.

Best wishes
    Peter

4. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would check out the classified section - couple of nice options at the moment !

5. AndyDD

AndyDD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your thoughts guys.

I've seen a friends 4800 in action. I noticed the rainbow as my head turned away from the screen but fine just watching it.

Peter, you are right. I'd end up having to upgrade again too soon. I shall go for the 5700 and wait till I have the dosh for the amp.
    Someone is coming to buy my RPTV on Thursday so I best get going.

6. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Andy
    Hope it goes well for you. I am currently entirely happy with the 5700 and have no plans to upgrade.
    That said, as Common has pointed out, there are some attractive deals on the classified section, particularly the Runco, if you can accomodate it.
    Best wishes
    Peter

7. AndyDDD

AndyDDD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Runco projector that's in the classifieds looks very tempting but it won't have any UK warranty on it. I'm sure it's a big step above the 5700. I had very bad problems with my RPTV where it was at the repairers waiting parts for 7 weeks, and after that the main signal board replaced twice more. It wasn't until 2 weeks ago when a Toshiba engineer came to my house and updated/reset the EEPROM that the problem went away (not the original fault).
    The only reason I decided I wanted rid of my RPTV is that I was so sick of it being faulty. It's now working perfectly, better than ever but I've already set my mind on actually having my own home cinema :)

8. Peter Baker

Peter Baker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I think it's based on the same Matterhorn chip, so it won't be night and day different, but with Runco's reputation, it probably is a bit better
    Pete