1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Witchfinder General

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dirk 2, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have looked at various websites to try and get details on this DVD.

Is it the extended version, with the nudity and restored violence, which was previously available on VHS on the Redemption label?

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
  3. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then in that case I'll purchase it forthwith.

4. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Beware the video by ex-Napalm Death singer Lee Dorians band "Cathedral". It's not good.

5. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

I'm glad to see that others have noticed this amazing UK DVD release, with a Region 0 rating!

Two points, however:

1) THe DVD contains 2 versions of the movie. Version 1 is the 82 minute Director's Cut, with all the material excised by the BBFC back in the olden days, reinstated! Version 2, is an International Edition, with different takes, and often more violence and nudity! It also runs 82 minutes.

2) Does anyone else have a problem with the Michael Reeves documentary on the DVD, not formatting properly when they watch it? On my DVD, no matter how my DVD player's settings are set (4:3, 4:3 widescreen, or 16:9 Anamorphic), I still get the documentary but vertically stretched, so that everyone looks rather tall and thin.

I spoke to Metrodome staff today, and they have said that for reasons completely beyond their control, a small number of players may not register the "flag" that tells the DVD player to switch the screen mode correctly. The disc has all the correct encoding, but the "flag" itself, seems to be intermittent as to if it gets recognised. The guy did say, that it is something they only knew about, once the disc reached the public, but as it doesn't affect even 2 identical DVD machines, in the same way, there was little that they could do, short of recalling the entire production run of discs, and hard-formatting the documentary, rather than it being in 16:9.

I have tried adjusting all my DVD player's settings, but to no avail. However, as the documentary was on FilmFour and C4 not too long ago, I'm pretty certain I have a decent copy of it on video somewhere.

An irritation, but still a damn good disc, especially for less than most normal DVD's cost!

Pooch

[ 23-10-2001: Message edited by: PoochJD ]

6. wicky1

wicky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the export version-There are a couple of shots missing from the first torture scene of the priest, in his church. This is compared to the redemption tape. But the dvd has some of the inserted footage on the tape in better quality. So the dvd overall is the better version.

7. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same probelm Pooch this afternoon, while watching the documentary on my laptop.

Have the same probelm with my home system (Pioneer DVL919E) Managed to adjust the ratio on my 16:9 TV to get a decent picture.