1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wish me luck...

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by kelvin, Jul 24, 2003.

1. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Having read about the pro's/con's of drive partitioning over the last few weeks, I've decided to give it a go for the first time on my laptop :suicide:

The biggest decision seemed to be down to size - I wanted to have 2 partitions (seems to be the favoured option) - one for the OS & Programme files, and the other for my documents, and (possibly) the swap file. Most guys seemed to recommend either 4, or 5 gig, and being the indecisive person that I am, I've decided on 4.5 gig for the system, and the remainder (15.5 gig) for my files :)

Setup is just formatting the small partition at the moment for the XP install. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous... ;)

Time will tell... ;)

K.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll be fine. As long as it reboots after the half-way through installation process (after it copies files from the CD to the HD)

Do these in the following order (after install)
    Advanced- disable System restore, hibernation, auto update, remote assitance/desktop. Also if you just want high performance, use the Taskbar & Performance settings to revert XP look back to Windows 2000 (ugly, but fast & low on resources)

First intall Windows XP Service Pack 1 (say no when requested to backup old files)
    MS Update site (critical updates, security updates etc)
    Install chipset drivers (these cover IDE, AGP, USB drivers)
    Video card drivers
    Network drivers
    Soundcard drivers
    Modem drivers
    Firewire drivers
    Cardbus drivers
    Any custom software (ie power saving, video switching app etc)

and then..
    Windows Media Player 9
    Winamp
    Divx/Xvid/AC3 codecs
    Quicktime
    Winzip
    Popup stopper
    Antivirus
    Advanced- Use XP Anti-Spy to remove MS Messenger, UPNP & lots things

Advanced - Open up Services, disable Remote Registry, Auto Update, Telnet & Telephony (these two can be disabled if using DSL, leave enabled for modem use), Indexing service-basically catalogue for speed up HD searches for files and Quality of Service - QOS- (basically leaves some DSL bandwidth left for other LAN users, disable if your PC is the only one connected to the net)

On the Advanced settings, read up before doing the above.

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah after installing them updates (Q then a number) from the MS site, you might want to delete the old files.

Enable "show hidden files" , and open up Windows Explorer (not IE) go into C:\Windows. They'll be dirs in blue near the top with "$Q93232 Uninstall" or something, you can delete these if you wish.

And you might want to tidy up the Remove applications panel (they'll be a close to 20 Q834923 updates in there.

Open up Regedit (Start, Run, type in Regedit) and scroll down to...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

And delete the entries for Q378979 (Q then a number) They'll then disappear from the "Remove software" in Control Panel.

These is a advanced level tweak. So be careful. :)

After installing everything, go into C:\Windows\Temp and delete all files in there (but don't delete the dir)

And go into C:\Documents and settings\Kevin\Local Settings\Temp- and delete the files in there - but don't delete the dir.

4. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Nathan, thankyou very much... couldn't have asked for a more through guide to "what next"! :)

Everything went like a dream...no problems whatsoever so I'm just going through the SP1/UpdatesDriversetc. routine now :) Should be plain sailing from here in as I've done this a few times now.

One question though - is it possible to change the drive "prefix"? The default allocations for my HD are now C: & D: with my CD/DVD being E:. I'd quite like to set the CD/DVD to D: and maybe have the HD as E: & F: or something? :confused: Does that make any sense whatsoever?!! ;

K.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah you can do that (but not on the OS drive though)

Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Disk Management.

Right click on the drive you want to change- and select "Change Drive Letter and paths" Select which one you want.

Whoops, I meant first move the DVD-ROM out of the way (ie Y) then change the HD D: to E: - you then can change the DVD-ROM to D:

If you try to change D: to E:- E is already being used so won't allow it.

Oh another tweak is disabling the Dump:laugh: file in Windows. Run DRWTSN32, deselect all the check boxes, and change the Number of Instructions & Number of Errors to Save to 1. If a application crashes, Dr Watson saves whatever is in memory to a large file - this can be way over 300MB, and takes ages. So disable it.

6. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Kelvin,

Is there any particular reason for partitioning your drive? In the bad-old-days, there needed to be partitions, because Windows couldn't handle drives over a certain size limit. But nowadays there shouldn't be much need. There is no major harm in it, and you may have good reasons for doing it (dual boot systems, backup strategies, etc.), but you are imposing an artificial limit on the size that your system partition can grow. So why limit yourself?

Mike.

7. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Mike,

Several reasons but mainly down to friends recommendations. I guess primarily you would say that it's for ease of use - I "spring clean" the PC every few months and do a fresh install of XP - the way things are now I can just install XP & Programmes and not have to worry too much about Video's, Music, Files etc - many of which I have no real desire, or need to back up as they're just not that important.

As for limiting the size of my system - I was only using 4.2 gig of my HD before for everything - including all of my documents, video footage, mp3's etc so I'm not too worried about limitations. If a time comes when I need to reconsider my options then it won't be too difficult to back everything up and re make the partitions.

Maybe I'm totally illogical but I thought I'd give it a go at least :)

K.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah much safer doing it Kevin's way.. if there's only one NTFS partition- if he screws up the OS he won't be able to retrieve his files, at least with a partition just for Windows & the usual apps, the OS can be knackered - all files are safe on the separate partition, so can easily wipe the OS partition and reinstall Windows.

Kevin can always use partition magic to increase the OS partition at any time

9. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I suggest partiotion size of 4,480MB. That way it exactly fits one DVD-R.

10. kelvin

kelvin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    KeLvin ;)

K.