1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wish me luck...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by richard.hewett, Mar 1, 2005.

1. richard.hewett

richard.hewett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm off to AV-Sales tomorrow for a demo of a Pio 435XDE. I'm planning on taking along :

Pitch Black R1 DVD (lots of dark, black tones)

"Lost" VCD (mastered from a HR-HD avi - comes out as a very good quality VCD). There's always some good bright day and dark night scenes in these.

"Battlestar Galactica 2003" VCD (mastered from a SkyOne avi - not quite so good quality) with lots of subdued colours and tones.

Any other suggestions to put it through it's paces ?

I've asked them to connect up a HD capable PC so that I can see what I'll be getting (sometime !), and just for kicks also connect up an iScan HD+. I don't think y budget will stretch to one of those, but you never know ... :eek:

2. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If your demo is in the same demo room that my was, you might want to take a look at the Panny PW7 and NEC VR5 that they have set up as well. It was very useful for me to have points of reference other than the screen I went specifically to see. They are able to split the video signal so that you can see it on multiple screens at once.

3. Tarsh

Tarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope you enjoy the experience :smashin: they are a pretty friendly bunch.

I demo'd there a week or so ago & saw the XDE, VR5, PWD7 and PHD7. Personally I was thinking of getting the XDE or PHD7 if they were worth the extra money or one of the others if not. Well I wasn't overly impressed with the XDE PQ to be honest, the VR5 was mostly OK, but the Pannys were by far the best PQ all round. In the end I went for the PHD.

You're doing the right thing though, let your own eyes be the judge.

4. richard.hewett

richard.hewett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As someone once said around here - the "best" panel is the best one for "you"

I've looked into the Panny PHD7, but what with the ... confusion ... surrounding the capability of the 720p/60Hz connectors, and the small overall price difference between the Pio & Panny when you figure in all the connectors I'll need I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle.

Maybe I'll see it out of the corner of my eye :rolleyes: and decide it's worth a second look, but from what I've read, heard and seen (at JL in Reading - only an FDE but it's the same screen) the Pio is the best for me.

5. Tarsh

Tarsh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can see it out of the corner of your eye, you have amazing eyesight, it's sitting on my wall :clap:

6. richard.hewett

richard.hewett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your views after the demo will be fascinating. Without doubt the XDE is the best when switched off.

8. richard.hewett

richard.hewett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a lot of crystal ball rubbing (ooer) I sense that you are not a fan of the Pios... ;)

Any particular reason ?

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I love a good double entendre in the morning! Not an XDE fan, am a Pioneer fan. Nothing wrong with MXE's apart from low black levels, the XDE is a total pain as a custom installer, it's hoist by it's own petard (I'm sure that must be rude too). Look for judder on pans, picture noise, blurring, yet near perfection (apart from judder) on the HDMI port. XDE demos are normally done with an £800 DVD player, with something bright on the disc. Or else with HD material, where they look terriffic. But any screen would look great then. Get them to show something on scart, and some freeview. If you like that, it's fine for you.

10. Drd

Drd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    Richard,I watched sheffield and some other team on freeview last night on my 150 hr 435xde and I am delighted,(and I've not yet finished tweaking!!).Trust your own eyes.Perhaps my standards are set too low.I have to admit I never got as far as av sales,though I bought my Pio from them.I never saw a panny set up such that i could say it was any better than the xde,both were excellent,but the connectivity of the pio is obviously much easier and you would probably have less cables to hide on/in the wall (a factor SWMBO for some reason finds important)
    Enjoy
    Ian

11. richard.hewett

richard.hewett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I managed to get there (eventually !) despite the snow .... and my lack of sense of direction :suicide: Getting back to Reading was a bunde of laughs too :(

Hayes was a very nice chap, answered all of my (inane) questions and never seemed to get annoyed when I asked for a cable change to check out my VCDs via component.

Anyways - It's now official. Pio is the way forward for me. As soon as I get that quote emailed to me tomorrow, I'll be replying with a resounding "Yes".

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hope you watched some non DVD! And don't say that. treat them mean, keep the keen!!