Wish a change but well out of touch

Mozzytheboy

Novice Member
Currently I have Audiolab pre and power amps 1000P/A and a huge TEAC CD player plus a pair of Mission 753's. Tis all 20 years old now and if I'm honest has far too much power for the level of listening that we do.

I'd like to replace the lot but have no idea what is currently available. I am no audiophile but do like very much a nice sound. Mostly I listen to easy going music, so high volume is not required.

Had a listen to some of the stuff in comet & Currys but honestly it sounds dreadful. With the large floorstanding Mission 753's I do get a fairly heavy bass and midrange; highs are crisp but wooly at times. As I have volume quite low, something with a bit of guts would be good. CD and vinyl is all I listen to on the Hi-Fi.

If you could kick me in the right direction I'd be really grateful.

Thanks

MTB

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Hi

You will do yourself damage listening to kit in Comet or Currys and they are not the best places to demo anything - imo:D. Avoid at all cost unless looking for kettles or washing machines.

Not much has changed interms of quality in amplifiers over the years 20 years you've had the audiolabs so I would keep those and look at changing the speakers and sources. Definitely the cdp and maybe the Turntable - which is what?

what's the budget?

Mozzytheboy

Novice Member
Thank you for replying. The PA is now producing sound through the Missions by way of a light hum; this could also be the Power A actually, but when adjusting volume there is loud scratching audible through speakers hence why I thought a complete change.

CDP is jumping tracks occasionally despite a clean inside professionally; again hence I thought a change. No deck at present as my last Linn died a while back.

Appreciate comments on Comet/Currys. will avoid.

Budget wise say £1500 - 2k all in was where I am.

moop

Standard Member
Hi Mozzy,

Quite a few variables in terms of where you might start. Perhaps if you stated your location then I and others could suggest a local dealer who could give you some decent advice/options, and even a home demo.

Mr Pig

No deck at present as my last Linn died a while back.

What's wrong with it? Why not get it fixed?

I'm struggling to get this. To be honest, for your budget, you're not going to buy something substantially better than what you already have.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
£1.5-£2k is a good budget and should be able to accommondate your needs (unless your eyes wander onto the higher end kit:).

The suggestion of going to local dealer is a good one because right now you are looking for a complete setup and your tastes or what your ears like may have changed over the years. They should have a selection various kit of which the dealer can wet your taste buds with and help you with the direction you want to take. If possible, take the audiolabs with you and see how they fair with different speakers and sources and compare what they propose to what you already have.

A lot of good suggestion can be given, but they could send you in a head spin if unfamiliar with them.

If after the dealer you require more help then feel free ask. At least then you will have a basis to go on and somebody out there may have the solution that will tick all the right boxes for you.

Mozzytheboy

Novice Member
I'm really surprised actually. I'd have thoughts twenty odd years would have seen some serious changes. On that recommendation methinks the best thing to do is get a new CD deck as this is just me off jumping; listening to it now:mad: Well, trying to at any rate.

Would you then say it is worth getting the power and pre serviced then and just run with a new record deck and more importantly to us a new CD? A record deck I can probably sort but CD decks so vary. Is there one for a few hundred that consistently comes up trumps?

Must admit I still do like the 753's I ran them in 20+ years ago properly by reversing +- on just one and ran them face to face.

Thank you very much for responding; really really appreciate it.:smashin:

MTB

Last edited by a moderator:

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
No problem, this is what these forums are for.

It is a surprise and it not at the same time because when compared to AVR's there's not much to stereo amps so there's not a lot you can improve.

The biggest leaps have been in the AV amplifiers/receivers. With the Digital age rapidly taking over and the regular changes and updates to them, avr's has changed plenty over the years to accommondate the demand for it. Audio formats, HDMI connectivity, surround sound, so on and so forth. Many would like the singing and all dancing box of tricks. But if you just want to listening to music via a stereo amp, not much is going to change in the stereo amps department. IMO, the additions of inbuilt dacs and streamers are some of only a handfull of few things that has been added to compliment stereo listening. Oh yes, and a remote :).

Yep, junk the cdp. It could probably be repaired, but at that age i don't think its worth the outlay. With your budget you can have the pick of plenty but that depends on how much of the budget you want to spend on a cdp.

Since it may be a complete system overhaul, a bit of sensible budgeting would apply. The speakers and amp will more than likely take over half of it and £300-£400 seems sensible for a cdp - imo.

for example
Cambridge Audio Azur 650c- £350
Marantz CD6004 £309

Above £400
Marantz CD7003 (SACD) £500 or SA KI Pearl Lite £700
Audiolap 8200 CD £729
Roxan kandy K2 £729
( not really sensible budgeting :) but it shows what's out there if more of the budget went the cdp way

Below £300
HARMAN KARDON HD980 £200
Marantz CD5004 - £180

Above are just a few options available and there are more from the likes of Arcam, Rotel, Nad, etc, but once you know how much you want to spend on one, then appropiate suggestions can be made. The dealer may also point you to a few others as well.

Definitely see about getting the audiolabs looked at. If can be sorted it will save you £££'s because, as been said, you won't get much better than those - unless you are willing to sell your house. I also feel that out of all, it the least one to be looked at to be replaced unless forced to.
A decent stereo amp of yesteryear can still slap a lot of the new kids on the block silly. Only loosing out to features rather than quality.

TT's are another story as they can cost as much to repair as it costs for a new one. Still worth finding out though.

Stating the obvious, more bang for your buck can be had second hand, and secondhand do not always mean donkeys years old. Good bargains can be has as some just to like upgrade even after a year or they are just not happy with what they just bought.

Last edited:

Mr Pig

TT's are another story as they can cost as much to repair as it costs for a new one.

Well, that depends on the turntable in question and what's wrong with it! Even if it's a Linn Basik it would cost you about £500 or more to buy an equivalent turntable today and it's very unlikely to cost anything like that to fix. If it's an LP12...

Stating the obvious, more bang for your buck can be had second hand

Absolutely.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Well, that depends on the turntable in question and what's wrong with it! Even if it's a Linn Basik it would cost you about £500 or more to buy an equivalent turntable today and it's very unlikely to cost anything like that to fix. If it's an LP12...

To True, to true, since the op has a Linn, you are most probaly right.

I say 'can' because i have a Pink triangle LPT (catching dust in the loft) that is in need of repair which i was quoted £350 and change for the pleasure, and this is from the guy who actually built them (surprise the heck out of me when he called me). You can get sensible TT for that or little more. I don't know what the equivalent TT is today seeing as PT stopped trading and reformed as The Funk Firm, but i can't see myself paying for a repair at that price unless it had a engine and wheels :laugh:.

formbypc

If it's too loud for you at the moment, replace the standard leads between the Pre & Power amp with attenuated ones. That'll keep the sound of the Audiolab but at lower volume.

The scratchiness when you turn the volume could be dirt on the volume control, could be damage. Get some switch cleaner from Maplin or similar electronics supplier, and spray into the guts of the volume control (ask again here for more specifics if you're not sure exactly what to do). If that doesn't sort it, probably a new potentiometer is required due to wear on the track.

For £700 or so, you can get Audiolab's new CD player, the 8200 series, which seems to be impressing virtually everyone.

Whatever 'died' on the Linn is probably repairable for far less than the new cost of an equivalent turntable.... what's wrong with it?

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
The motor gone. Spins but not enough strength to spin the acrylic plater. I changed the belt but no joy.
I've looked into it and it is known problem amongst the LPT's. The repair involves replacing the psu, motor and a few other bits. Anything less is apparently not worth while doing.
I'm open to any other ideas.

Last edited:

moop

Standard Member
Hi Moop

Just a few miles away from Taunton in Somerset.

Many thanks

MTB

What a nice part of the world you live in. I'm pretty sure that a large conurbation like Exeter will have a number of reputable dealers. I think Audio T and Guilford Audio are in Exeter. They will stock the usual suspects which should be a good starting point for you. I don't have personal knowledge as to the quality of service, but in comparison to the the likes of Comet et al, they will at least have knowledge of the products they are selling. I'm not trying to teach you to 'suck eggs', but it always pays to ring a dealer in advance - choose an off peak time - and always bring CD's that you know intimately. I don't think you have anything to lose by going to listen to whats out there within your budget.

Over the last 20yrs there have been significant advancements in mid priced hifi separates, especially in CDP's and turntables. Amplifiers in particular have benefited from higher quality components and much cheaper power supplies.

Obviously this HIFI thing is all about opinions and having the confidence to believe in what your ears are telling you. As I have hidden shallows I would have to add aesthetics to the mix as an important factor for me. Anyway, I'm sure there is lots for you to think about. Do let us all know how you get on.

Mr Pig

What sort of motor is it, do you know?

Origin Live do a DC motor kit for the LPT. I don't know how much it is.

Found an interesting thread for you: LINK

I would be very surprised if both the motor and the PSU were faulty. With a bit of effort you should be able to test them, find out which is faulty and replace or repair it.

formbypc

Budget wise say £1500 - 2k all in was where I am.

I think you could get the Audiolab 8200 CD and Integrated Amp for that money. Keep the speakers, get those two if you don't feel like repairs on the old 8000s. The only thing missing would be a phono stage, but if you're not using the TT at the moment anyway......

Put the 8000s on eBay as Spares or Repair and you'll still get something for them. I had an 8000CD and DAX, and got something over £100 for them, even though CD drawer was knackered, and the DAX was hissing mightily from the output stage......

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
What sort of motor is it, do you know?

Origin Live do a DC motor kit for the LPT. I don't know how much it is.

Found an interesting thread for you: LINK

I would be very surprised if both the motor and the PSU were faulty. With a bit of effort you should be able to test them, find out which is faulty and replace or repair it.

No clue what the motor is but i can do some digging to find out.

If i remember rightly, the new psu is for the upgraded motor they advise to replace the existing one with because of the this problem.

Effort i'm not short of, but money i am

Thanks for the link though :thumbsup:

Mozzytheboy

Novice Member
This is so much more than I could ever have possibly expected. I am so grateful to you all. Linn deck and arm gone now, I think I may have made a mistake getting rid of.

Mr Pig

If remember rightly, the new psu is for the upgraded motor they advise to replace the existing one with

That'll be right. They're selling an upgrade rather than repairing the fault. That's why it costs £350. No way it'll cost that to fix. The motor for an LP12 costs about £90 from Linn and you can get them cheaper elsewhere.

Motors are dead reliable, it might be a phase on the motor that's away but it's much more likely that it's the PSU. If it's an AC synchronous motor it's quite easy to test. You just test the resistance on both phases/sides of the motor and if they're both the same (give or take a little) the motor is ok.

If it's the PSU you could either fix it or, depending on what kind of motor it is, drive it with something else. Most of these old turntables used the same or very similar kinds of motors, AC synchronous ones often made by Airpack or Premotec, so there are potentially lots of supplies you could use.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom