Wise to setup before Xmas day for updates/downloads?

MrMav11

Do you think it’s wise to setup the PS5 before Xmas day so when open it can start, wrt to downloading game updates, and PS4 games?

Decided to start afresh, so will be wanting to download all PS4 games to an external HDD but they can wait/download overnight etc.

Just wondering on PS5 system updates, PS5 game updates etc?

Or just setup on Xmas day anyway? What are orders doing?

Thanks

MrTea34

Do you think it’s wise to setup the PS5 before Xmas day so when open it can start, wrt to downloading game updates, and PS4 games?

Decided to start afresh, so will be wanting to download all PS4 games to an external HDD but they can wait/download overnight etc.

Just wondering on PS5 system updates, PS5 game updates etc?

Or just setup on Xmas day anyway? What are orders doing?

Thanks
Definitely. There are console updates, controller updates and gamed downloads, it was busy enough for the servers on launch day

GadgetObsessed

Not only have there been updates for the console and controllers but some of the games such as Call of Duty take hours to download. You also have to login to your account etc. You may also want to leave the HDMI cable etc in place so it is plug and play on Christmas Day.

Nothing will dull the excellent surprise of getting a PS5 more than waiting 3 or 4 hours for it to all be set up and get your new game downloaded.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
definitely set it up and dpo the updates before as it can take ages and there could be alot of network congestion on xmas day with people all doing the same thing

MrMav11

The games will be wrapped so presume would have to open and put in PS5 to get the updates? I bet they will be huge updates for the games as well.

Could also initiate the PS4 games as well, eg GT Sport is a HUGE download....

Ok I may do. Not ideal as didn’t want to ideally and how am I going to not play it then!?!

metalpaul1000

Personally I would too. Download all updates. Get the ps plus games and set up a hard drive if necessary. I have been downloading for over a week and just about finished. COD takes forever. Plus you have to go in to the game and download the campaign in 3 separate parts.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
The games will be wrapped so presume would have to open and put in PS5 to get the updates?
Yes
I bet they will be huge updates for the games as well.
Some can be (COD for example)
Could also initiate the PS4 games as well,
Would certainly be worth it.
how am I going to not play it then!?!
Very tough not too......only a couple of days to wait.

I've already done my sons Series S, but will plug it in again on Xmas eve night and do any updates and then box it and wrap it.

ibrox_grfc

Distinguished Member
I done mine yesterday. Probably took about an hour in total. Turned the Ps4 on too and let it sync profiles and saves and stuff . Then installed the free psn games (bugstars and worms), got the free upgrade for watchdogs ( ps4 to ps5) and installed destiny 2. Also added the ps4 collection games to my library so that I can download anything I don't have. Can also add anything I do have and get rid of the disc versions in CEX. Can probably get Demon Souls for free doing that

MrMav11

I done mine yesterday. Probably took about an hour in total. Turned the Ps4 on too and let it sync profiles and saves and stuff . Then installed the free psn games (bugstars and worms), got the free upgrade for watchdogs ( ps4 to ps5) and installed destiny 2. Also added the ps4 collection games to my library so that I can download anything I don't have. Can also add anything I do have and get rid of the disc versions in CEX. Can probably get Demon Souls for free doing that
An hour to do what? Just the system updates? Any game updates?

Did you install any games for PS4 to an external drive? I was wanting GT Sport and is a huge download >100Gb!!

Regarding going from the PS4, is it a case of making sure saved games are synced to PS+ and trophies, and then can wipe it, then log into PS5 and it’ll sync back from PS+. I’m happy to just download all the games etc to start afresh.

Thanks

ibrox_grfc

Distinguished Member
An hour to do what? Just the system updates? Any game updates?

Did you install any games for PS4 to an external drive? I was wanting GT Sport and is a huge download >100Gb!!

Regarding going from the PS4, is it a case of making sure saved games are synced to PS+ and trophies, and then can wipe it, then log into PS5 and it’ll sync back from PS+. I’m happy to just download all the games etc to start afresh.

Thanks

The hour was to do initial set up, system update, transfer game saves and user profiles from ps4 pro (by Lan). I also added any of the free ps4 collection games that I didn't have to my library, activated the free ps4 to ps5 watchdogs upgrade and added destiny 2 , bugsnax and worms to my download queue. Left those downloading while I went to Tescos and Sainsburys. I haven't got an external ssd drive for PS4 games yet so I haven't downloaded any ps4 games so far. I'll keep my ps4 pro hooked up until I get an ssd

Going from ps4 to ps5, you can upload your game saves to the ps+ cloud or else just do what i did and have both consoles connected to the same network using lan cables. You'll get a prompt on the ps5 telling you what to do and then you can select what you want to transfer across. I just done user profiles and game saves but you can transfer games across too

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
The hour was to do initial set up, system update, transfer game saves and user profiles from ps4 pro (by Lan). I also added any of the free ps4 collection games that I didn't have to my library, activated the free ps4 to ps5 watchdogs upgrade and added destiny 2 , bugsnax and worms to my download queue. Left those downloading while I went to Tescos and Sainsburys. I haven't got an external ssd drive for PS4 games yet so I haven't downloaded any ps4 games so far. I'll keep my ps4 pro hooked up until I get an ssd

Going from ps4 to ps5, you can upload your game saves to the ps+ cloud or else just do what i did and have both consoles connected to the same network using lan cables. You'll get a prompt on the ps5 telling you what to do and then you can select what you want to transfer across. I just done user profiles and game saves but you can transfer games across too
Let me know what you think of Destiny 2 when you get on mate.

ibrox_grfc

Distinguished Member
Let me know what you think of Destiny 2 when you get on mate.

I played the free mission from the new dlc then done a patrol and event in cosmodrome and then 1 on the new planet. Thought it all looked very dark even after messing about with ingame hdr and brightness settings. The ps5 in general looked dark but I thought it was just because it was using hdr all of the time where the ps4pro was only using it ingame. Turns out I was using an hdmi socket on the TV that I had never set up for gaming before, so brightness and contrast were really low when they needed to be set quite high :facepalm: :rotfl:
Adjusted it and stuck D2 back on for a quick look. Just went to Dreaming city and it looked nice, a lot better than when we played on ps4 pro.
The PS5 is wrapped up for Christmas now but ill have another look at Destiny 2 over the holidays. Hopefully Beyond Light will be on sale too.

MrMav11

Thanks for help and advice. What are the use profiles to do? I thought the only real thing to transfer were the cloud saves, and wouldn’t be too large in size?

I’ve read a bit now about LAN connecting up together, but if I’m happy to download the games again what else is there for me to transfer?

Reason I won’t be doing the game transferring is because currently the PS4 has an internal 2Tb that I swapped with a 500Gb, which I’m going to swap back into the PS4 and use the 2Tb as external for PS5 (unless the PS5 can see these when plugged in externally, although this was a system drive in PS4 so unsure)

Do you have to have an external SSD for PS4 games or would a normal USB drive do? Speed wise doesn’t have to be the fastest for PS4 games does it?

Thanks again for help, I’ll try this week to start stuff if possible and then wrap.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
If you use the PlayStation app you can literally scan the QR code in the app and it will add your account to the machine :)

Its all I used to sort my PS5 out.

ibrox_grfc

Distinguished Member
Thanks for help and advice. What are the use profiles to do? I thought the only real thing to transfer were the cloud saves, and wouldn’t be too large in size?

I’ve read a bit now about LAN connecting up together, but if I’m happy to download the games again what else is there for me to transfer?

Do you have to have an external SSD for PS4 games or would a normal USB drive do? Speed wise doesn’t have to be the fastest for PS4 games does it?

Thanks again for help, I’ll try this week to start stuff if possible and then wrap.

User profiles are just your various psn accounts and settings including passwords. I have 4 accounts ( main UK, German, Hong Kong & USA) and can't remember passwords for a few of the foreign ones, so this was the best option for me as the passwords get transferred too.

Cloud saves for me were about 11gb but really depends on how many save files you have

Really just profiles and game saves if you aren't bothered about transferring the games themselves. Probably don't need to do profiles either but saved me a bit of time personally

A normal external hard drive would be fine but will be much slower than a ssd drive. The ps5 has lightning fast load times so an ssd drive will let you get the benefit of that with your ps4 games.

N0ddie

I setup my son's PS5 a couple of weeks ago in preparation for a quick setup and jump in on Christmas day.

It got wrapped soon after so I'll still be at the mercy of updates but hopefully it'll be quicker than if I hadn't bothered.

MrMav11

Have 2 users on PS4. Only 1 PS+ subscription. Is there a way to save both game saves to cloud?

I’ve been on the other user and it says to upload have to buy PS+. But don’t need as such as that user can play online as well - I think?

So do I have to save the second user game saves to a USB drive for the PS5?

Thanks

MrMav11

Couldn’t see a way to save the 2nd user so backed up to USB hope it recovers!

Did setup and had to start all PS4 downloads again to go to external USB, soooo sloooow.

Even seen a message saying that PSN are “being fair to ISPs for traffic management”. As in slowing down game downloads.

Got the console updated, got the PS5 updates and data copied (lots of data goes to SSD even though they are disc games).

But downloading the games I want to external USB is taking an age. Got a couple on, but things like GTS are going to tame days as >100Gb game as have this on digital.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom