1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wise Decision Or Not -Pioneer Plasma tv

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Gezmondo, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Gezmondo

Gezmondo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :lease: Hi everyone!
    Just thought i'd try and pick a few brains.
    My AV system currently comprises of:

Panasonic 36" 100hz TV
    Pioneer 757ai DVD Player
    Sony STRDB940
    Tannoy rear and centre and TDL Frt Speakers

The main let down is that the tv doesn't have component in sockets so i'm losing the quality of the dvd player.

My question is this, do i fork out and buy a Pioneer plasma 435FDE or XDE at £3k ( which in my opinion is the best in the compatability with the dvd player-HDMI etc).

Or save my dosh and buy a cheaper plasma without the HDMI?

Your comments would be greatly rec'd as i'm undecided at the mo.

And has anybody had dealings with DIGITAL POINT.co.uk As they seem to be the cheapest?

Many thanks.
    Gez.

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Last time I looked, your DVD player, though none the worse for it, does not have HDMI. It has component video, and RGB scart, both of which will give a fine picture. If it's no good on your TV you need to check it's sending RGB, and you are plugged in to a compatible scart on the TV. The 757 is a fine player, and will work well with almost any plasma. HDMI is not the be all and end all, it's mostly about copy protection rather than picture quality, anyone who thinks otherwise has bought the sales pitch. Yes theoretically digital signal path should be cleaner, but somewhere along the line the picture will be scaled to panel resolution, thus degraded, so you tend not to see it in it's pristine glory. Pick a plasma you like, nothing wrong with the 434, but several other viable choices are available.

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    HDMI will give future proofing, but if you have an excellent anaolog section then HDMI is a minor improvment, but is an improvment and the Market does seem to be embracing HDMI now.

However having just seen the new pana 42ins plasmas on unbeatable.co.uk for £1950 ish its hard to warrant the extra £1000 or so for the pio. but it depends on your setup and your needs, ie do you need a media box, freeview built in etc etc.

4. Gezmondo

Gezmondo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeh you're right about the HDMI. The playback quality is great from the dvd, but apparently until i use the component sockets i'm not getting the best picture. Will see if i can sample the Panasonic as well as the Sony. Don't like the sound of this buzzing that seems to be emitting from the pioneer! ( forum thread).Cheers for reply.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Buzzing is a known issue with a number of plasmas, but they don't all do it. RGB scart and component video are not really 'different ' in quality of signal, certainly not on a CRT TV, the biggest difference is the capacity for progressive scan. That is a good thing on a player like yours, most plasmas will be happy to recieve it.

6. Gezmondo

Gezmondo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers MAW!

The other thing i'm a bit concerned about is am i actually going to get a better picture on the plasma? The Panasonic's picture in my opinion is great, but i always try to stay up to date with av. its a shame large retailers ie Currys can't wire up a dvd to the plasma instead of a lousy grainy tv signal.
    I know really i need to find a dedicated shop to AV, but they are sparce around here.
    Does my panasonic cater for prog scan?

Cheers.

7. Gezmondo

Gezmondo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently have a lousy SKY box which is so slow it's pathetic! I use a Pioneer Freeview box upstairs so i suppose i could get rid of SKY downstairs and just go on Freeview. But the pioneer box has a very annoying bright Green light on the frt panel!
    If i get the XDE then everything is inclusive and pretty much future proof...i hope. i hardly watch sky its mainly dvd's that are played so i want the best quality picture .

Decisions, decisions!

Cheers for the feedback.

Gerry.