Wiring Yamaha DSP-E800 with stereo pre/power amps

inicholson

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I connect the front L/R output from my Yamaha DSP-E800 direct to my power amp rather than into the pre-amp?

As the power amp has only one input is it safe to make/buy a split lead so that my stero pre-amp AND the Yamaha DSP-E800 are both connected to the power amp?

Would it be safer to use some kind of switch box (in which case can anyone recommend one?)?

Obviously there's no reason for the stero pre-amp and the Yamaha to be switched on at the same time (but I'll forget so it might happen).

Am I in danger of damaging the power amp or (more likely?) the pre-amp (by trying to stuff a signal in through it's out terminals if you get my drift)?

I Just thought I'd get some savvy advice before I blow up something expensive. I'm doing a bit of rewiring anyway as i'm replacing my single Linn LK100 power amp with 2, fitting active cards into them and removing/bypassing the crossovers in my Keilidhs to make them active.

While I'm there it occurred to me (as a result of a discussion in another forum) that the way my Yamaha DSP-E800 which drives the rear channels (and may one day drive a centre speaker if it ceases to be "virtual" or "phantom") is connected up is kinda stupid.

So far I've followed Yamaha's instructions and connected the front L/R outputs to a spare input on my pre-amp. This involves setting the pre-amp to a suitable volume whenever I'm using surround. It's kinda messy as the pre-amp's memory is shot so it forgets where the volume was last time (it's controlled by two buttons rather than a dial). Obviously the instructions were written for use with a combined pre-power amp rather than separates.

Ian - remind me what your preamp is again?

Ah. If you were running something a little newer (a Kolektor or Kairn, for example) then there's a "unity gain" setting designed for exactly this purpose.

Sorry, can't see a good way round it with an LK1 though...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom