Wiring up

mobily

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in the market for a new freeview box and intend to purchase a TV coax splitter so that I can record a program on terrestrial and watch one on freeview. However when connecting between vcr and tv would you recommend using an aerial lead or scart leads?

Wiring up my new system is extremely complicated and I don't even know whether to get male or female connectors.

Thanks for any help,

James :)

However when connecting between vcr and tv would you recommend using an aerial lead or scart leads?
Scart leads without a doubt. I don't know how 'up' you are on this topic so forgive me if I'm teaching you to 'suck eggs'.

There are three types of signal that can be carried through Scart wires:
- RGB
- S-Video
- Composite (Video)

RGB is the best so if you TV supports it (check the manual or post your TV type/number here) set the Freeview box and TV to that. The next best option if you TV doesn't have RGB in is to use an S-Video connection. On some these go through the Scart socket, on others they use a little round connection and red/white audio connections. Failing everything a Scart connection using Composite (Video) will still be better than the RF (Aerial) picture quality.

It's worth buying some decent Scart leads as well to get the most from your equipment - you'll be amazed the difference it can make in PQ. The amount you should spend depends on your TV and Freeview box. If you post what you've got we'll be able to give you an idea of how much you should spend.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom