wiring up front speakers to both Av reciever and tube amp

JohnProton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to find out how to wire up front speakers to both an av reciever and a tube amp. I dont actually have an av reciever as yet but in the next few months I will so Im looking for any info. I have a tube amp so I dont want want to leave it on all the time or keep turning it on and off continuously, but be able to just listen to music when i want, my front speakers that I have bought which are on their way are not bi-wireable so the idea of connecting them to the bi-wireable speaker inputs i wont be using wont be happing becuase they dont have them. I dont want to weaken the signal really for loss of sound quality so i dont really want to use a switch such as a qed or a bereford switch, the only other thing I thought of was by taking the wire out of the speaker everytime i wanted to watch a movie or listening to music, but i dont want to keep on having to do that either all the time. does anyone have any ideas becuase I think Im running out of them lol I dont really want two sets of front speakers, i think it would look silly in a room thats 3x4 metres (12-13 square metres)

'but I really dont want to weaken the signal between my tube amp and my connected equipment to my tube amp and lose quality' - you are not going to 'weaken' anything :)

Try the Beresford and decide if you can hear it in the circuit or not - if you can you would likely be looking at something pretty exotic as an alternative.

An option is to ensure your AVR offers (variable) line out for the Front LR and connect that as an Input to your Stereo Amp (ideally the Stereo Amp would have a 'Unity Gain' Input which will ramp up and down as your adjust the AVR Volume).

You connect your Music Sources to the Stereo Amp, your AV Sources to the AVR and the AVR Front LR signal is sent to the Stereo Amp to power your Front LR speakers.

Joe

Hi there again John

Things may not have changed with speakers so much but with amplifiers they have so I could be wrong with what I'm about to say. With my old valve amplifier 50 years ago I had to be careful never to turn it on unless it was connected to speakers otherwise the amplifier could be damaged (I think the term was it had to have a 'load' on it). With your idea of switching between a receiver and your valve amplifier you might have problems if you don't turn the valve amplifier off before switching - something that could easily be forgotten when doing the switching. As I say today they might have provided something within the amplifier to protect it from this issue but it would be good to check if you haven't done so already.

Hi there again John

Things may not have changed with speakers so much but with amplifiers they have so I could be wrong with what I'm about to say. With my old valve amplifier 50 years ago I had to be careful never to turn it on unless it was connected to speakers otherwise the amplifier could be damaged (I think the term was it had to have a 'load' on it). With your idea of switching between a receiver and your valve amplifier you might have problems if you don't turn the valve amplifier off before switching - something that could easily be forgotten when doing the switching. As I say today they might have provided something within the amplifier to protect it from this issue but it would be good to check if you haven't done so already.
Hi again roger, it is a little more compliated with having a tube amp and worrying about damaging something so its a little more complex, the only other option I had thought of would be by buying some of those on wall lcr speakers that dali do with them being so flat. but that would be a very expensive way around it since they are £500 per single speaker so about 2500 or so and use the av reciever but those speakers would be more hidden and give more room. but thats a very expensive way. doing it the other way would be a switch about £100 and then just matching backs and a centre probably about 1300 or so

Dali Lcr expensive but flat and give more room and more hidden and out of the way Rather than the focal rear speakers with floor standers and the switch or just forget the switch and turn off the amp everytime and pull the banana plugs from the tube switching over to the av reciever hmm
opticon-lcr-background.png

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom