1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring up Denon 3805 and 3910

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by krungthep56, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

After a long gestation and difficult birth, I have recently become the proud father of a Denon 3805 and 3910 combination and need advice on how to properly bring them up in harmony. I currently have one pair of Quad 12L's which I plan to connect as fronts, and will soon get a pair of 11L's for rear service with an 11C for dialogue: at some future time the L-sub may be added, subject to senior management and budget approval. I should add that the system will be used 50/50 for music and movies.

My questions are now as follows:
    When wiring the front 12L's, I presume I run the Denonlink cable from 3910 to 3805 and then run speaker cable to front L and R ?
    Should I bi-wire the front 12L's, and if so, do I then need to do the same for the remaining centre/rears?
    What are the '2ch AUDIO OUT' sockets on the rear of the 3910 for?
    I do not intend using the surround back 2 channels, and wonder if these can be wired to the front 12L's for audio listening.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions and apologies in advance for ignorance

HT

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The audio outs on the 3910 will need to be run though an amp or in to an active speaker.
    If you have denon link ignore these.

Yes you can bi-wire your fronts and you do not need to do the same with the surronds if you don't have the cable or the speakers are not able to be bi-wired.

Once done run the auto setup then fine tune with an SPL meter and tape measure if you have them.

3. jonan73

jonan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi :)
    I'm also going to buy the 3805 within the next 2 weeks
    How do you bi-wire it? Is there a built-in way to do that?
    Take care,

Johann

4. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What you need is a speaker cable that goes from the one set of terminals on the amp then splits into 2 for the speakers.

5. jonan73

jonan73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I'm too much of a novice, but I didn't understand that... :(
    When I'm talking about bi-amping, it is using the unused channels of the amplifier/receiver (surround back) for extra power.
    I know that i have to remove the bridges form the 2 sets of inputs on the speaker...
    But do I just need to put another cable from the surround back outputs to the speaker? It seems too simple...

6. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

I plan to wire the 'spare' ie unused rear channels to the front speakers, but have no idea what effect this may have on output and importantly, warranty?

Can anyone point to an earlier thread on bi-amping or utilising the output from unused channels.

I will be running the amp through Quad 11L's which are rated at 6 Ohm - are these difficult to drive?

Regards,

HT