1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wiring up coaxial cable & spades?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by nathan_silly, Sep 1, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I snipped off the cheap spades I've had before, and got some nice gold plated ones now.

I take it you crimp the centre core to one spade, the weavy cable to the other, and trim off the shield?

How can I make the exposed cable airtight? - the previous cable was oxidized.

Thanks

2. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Adhesive lined heatshrink?

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not clear on why you want spades on coaxial cable? You should only use coaxial connectors, for obvious reasons. The only exception is, for example, where you've bought a cheap TV aerial which has screw terminals instead of an "F" connector. In this case buy some of that cheap "White Tack" stuff from any stationers (eg. "Partners, "Kings", "WH Smith"). It's stickier than "Blu-Tack" and you can push it around the exposed copper like putty, making it quite watertight for years.

Fman

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The back of the tuner has two screw down terminals (accept bare wire and spades)

It's not a new tuner (ie with a TV aerial type socket)

Just wired it up and wrapped electrical insulation tape around the exposed wire.